What language in Aruba and Curacao?

Old March 28th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Odysseus

Default What language in Aruba and Curacao?

I like to learn at least a few phrases in the language of a country I am
going to visit. What language should I learn for Aruba and Curacao?
I can't find any books to learn Papiamento. Of course I can find books
to teach Dutch but they are for the Dutch spoken in the Netherlands? How
different is that from the Dutch spoken in the Caribbean?

Old March 28th, 2004, 03:14 PM
fradybunch

While in Curacao, we learned that children are taught in school Spanish,
Dutch, English, French in addition to Papaimento, which most of them know.
Almost anyone can do well there if you speak ANY of these languages. We
wanted to learn a bit of Papaimento, also, to no avail.

Sandi

Old March 28th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Johan L. Alexander

Dutch in the Caribbean is the same as Dutch in the Netherlands. In Curacao
everyone speaks Dutch, but Papiamento is the main (and mother) language.
Only the older genereations don't speak English. It's a little bit different
in Aruba. There are more nationalities in Aruba. That's why not everyone
speaks Dutch or Papiamento. The Arubans do, but the foreigners who live
there don't. In the shops or restaurants in the touristic areas you can
speak English or Spanish; many people come from Venuzuela; they didn't learn
to speak Dutch or Papiamento. Hotel receptions: English, Spanish, Dutch,
Portuguese, sometimes even German or French.

Some Papiamento phrases:
- Bon dia: good morning
- Bon tardi: good afternoon
- Bon nochi: good night
- Danki: thank you
- Masha danki: many thanks
- Ayo: goodbye
- Bon bini: welcome
- Con ta bai: how do you do
- Masha bon: very good
Pronounce it like Spanish.
More phrases: http://www.epinions.com/content_1364566148

Good luck!
Johan.

Old March 29th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Odysseus

Thanks I can see elements of Spanish and Dutch in the language. I know a little
Spanish and German so I should be able to pick it up.

Old March 29th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Steve Caswell

What language should I learn
for Aruba and Curacao?

Ig nogla tornegatisa plid sevasta trippa lag waugga!!!

Old April 1st, 2004, 09:32 PM
arnego2

Originally posted by Odysseus
What language should I

learn for Aruba and Curacao?
Learn Papaiminto, if that´s the
lingo of those islanders, so be it.
best regards
Arnego2

Old April 4th, 2004, 03:07 AM
jambo_2004

Originally posted by arnego2
Learn Papaiminto, if

that´s the lingo of those islanders, so be it.
best regards
Arnego2

I agree...you should always try and speak the lingo of the
country you're going to.

Old April 5th, 2004, 05:09 PM
arnego2

Originally posted by jambo_2004

Hi

Jambo, that´s an absolute must, to adapt to the country. To make
mates (friends) withless danger. Who would after all like to have
foreign mates in the U.K who don´t even speak your lingo.
best

regards
Arnego2

Old April 6th, 2004, 12:51 PM
LM

I live in Bonaire and amazed that most speak 4 languages! Having some
high school and college Spanish helps me communicate to my boyfriend's
family. I have known them 18 months now and between my Spanish and
Papiamento, I get by. Sometimes I feel a bit aprehensive to try and
speak in public but it is really essential. In Bonaire young kids
learn English thanks to the good old TV. At my child's school they
PREFER to speak English with her..

Oh well.

Annie
www.bonairecaribbean.com