What has happened to this site!

Old January 8th, 2009, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Judi[_2_]

Default What has happened to this site!

"Don Lampson"
It really bums me out, watching this site turn into a spam & smut
collection!
I was looking foreward to seeing a report on Zihuatenejo a regular
poster planned to make last Nov?
I suspect the increase in kidnapping, and the drug wars, combined
with the lousy economies elsewhere, have all but wiped out gringos
ramblings to remote places in Mexico?
Reading about beheadings near Merida just make me sick! I always felt
so safe there?
I feel like an old friend has died, or a sweetheart has departed,
and all that remains are wonderful memories of the good times before
things took a turn for the worse!
Don

http://www.donlampson.com

Don, what do you want to know about Zihuatanejo? I'm there 3-4 times a year
for the last 8 years.
I often go solo and have never felt unsafe.
Last year we bought property about 40 miles north of Z. Have not built
anything yet.
Next trip is the last 2 weeks of March for Guitarfest. Can't wait!

judi

Old January 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Dimond Geeza

On Jan 8, 12:18*pm, Alan S wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 01:54:29 -0800, (Don

Lampson) wrote:
Reading about beheadings near Merida just make me sick! *I always felt
so safe there?

I didn't realise that was where they were. I was there in
April and felt safe wandering the streets at night.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis

but your not involved in drugs........are you ?
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

"Judi" wrote in message

[...]

judi, Don was my inspiration for our Zihuatanejo trip. He was lamenting the
fact that I haven't posted anything about the most wonderful time we had
there.

I'll make that posting very soon,

As to all the spam, if you take the simple step of blocking postings
originating from google, you'll see that 99% of the gargage will stop.

Old January 8th, 2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Judi[_2_]

[...]

Ahh, whatcha waitin' for?
Where did you stay?
I wonder if you or Don go to Rob's zihuatanejo.net Message Board?
Do I know you guys?

judi

Old January 9th, 2009, 04:12 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Alan S[_1_]

Lampson) wrote:
Reading about beheadings near Merida just make me sick! *I always felt
so safe there?

I didn't realise that was where they were. I was there in
April and felt safe wandering the streets at night.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis

but your not involved in drugs........are you ?

Not last time I checked, apart from those prescribed by
doctors and bought at pharmacies.

I haven't reached Merida yet in my blog, but I thoroughly
enjoyed my short stay in the place. A pleasant town, with
interesting local things to see and nice people. Or at least
I thought so at the time:-)

Actually, I never felt unsafe at any time in my short
Mexican trip. I am a 61 yo male, travelling alone, and used
local buses to travel from Can Cun to Merida via Valladolid
and Chichen Itza, then flew Aviacsa to Mexico City for a
couple of nights and used local transit and buses to visit
Teotihuacan.

Maybe I don't look wealthy enough to mug:-)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/...7604918996418/

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:45 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Dimond Geeza

Lampson) wrote:
[...]

I thought the same about Merida and Mexico. I spent 6 weeks and found
them all very friendly.
Went from Cancun to Chihuahua to Coast to Guadalajara to Guatemala by
bus and train.
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

"Judi" wrote in message

[...]

I've only read postings at Zihua Rob's, and snagged a few restaurant
suggestions. We stayed at Bungalows La Madera, which we liked very much,
for all the reasons people like certain places. I just need to get my notes
together. Unfortunately, our camera was misplaced so we have no photos. I
guess we'll just have to go back.

Keith

Old January 10th, 2009, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Alan S[_1_]

Lampson) wrote:
[...]

Sounds great, I wish I'd had more time.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Judi[_2_]

[...]

The exact message board I was talking about, Zihua Rob's, zihuatanejo.net.
I'm 'there' every day, posting as judi in OKlahoma. Hopefully giving good
advice and posting pictures for newbies. I know many people on that board so
there is much friendly back and forth banter as well.
Of all the many hotels in Z, isn't this funny. Bungalows La Madera has what,
only 6-7 bungalows?
Have stayed there several times and will be there again in March.
A great bargain with a fantastic view and a must have for me...a kitchen.
So when are you going back? It's a place that definitely gets in your blood.

judi

Old January 11th, 2009, 12:57 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

"Judi" wrote in message
[...]

I have something going on with me physically that hasn't been diagnosed yet,
but I had it when in Zihua too, so I couldn't do much but beach it and walk
around town. Even so, I had a wonderful time.

The Fromens are a nice family, aren't they? They were totally helpful every
single time they saw us, and also good conversationalists.

For your March visit, we ate a few times each in some new places. One is a
little fonda right across the street from (I think) Zorro's - an American
bar. Three course lunch was 35 pesos, and the soups are teriffic.
Everything was good, and that price includes a pitcher of fruit juice.

The other you may know - D'Angelo's pizza is just down the street from
there, but the owner said he'd been there nearly a year. Good pizza, and
he's adding our bacon and onion to his menu.

I hope to go back in November again - that's our usual travel month, though
we go at other times as well. It was hard for us to get to Zihua just
before high season. Well, actually it was hard to get back, so we spent a
few nights in Mexico City in lieu of a 20 hr layover.

I'll get to writing something up soon, but this time of year it's hard to
make time.