GPS - basic question

Old November 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default GPS - basic question

While shopping, I see some have FM traffic "AVAILABLE" and some do not.
Several times a year I go on a long trip ( BOS - MIA for example) and
wondering about this traffic info. To get that, is it an ANNUAL subscription
service ? Can I "subscribe" for just that month that I'm on the road trip ?
Then again on my next big trip ?
What I'm looking for is: advance warning on the GPS telling/showing me ...
" traffic stopped ahead better get off the highway at this exit and ...
here's how to continue on your way to avoid that traffic backup".

I wouldn't want to pay all year to avoid one or two traffic jams so if
annual subscription required then I'd skip it - in which case I could buy
any GPS - with/without that option.

Feedback ?
Thanks

Old November 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

While shopping, I see some have FM traffic "AVAILABLE" and some do not.
Several times a year I go on a long trip ( BOS - MIA for example) and
wondering about this traffic info. To get that, is it an ANNUAL
subscription
service ? Can I "subscribe" for just that month that I'm on the road
trip ?
Then again on my next big trip ?
What I'm looking for is: advance warning on the GPS telling/showing me
" traffic stopped ahead better get off the highway at this exit and ...
here's how to continue on your way to avoid that traffic backup".

I wouldn't want to pay all year to avoid one or two traffic jams so if
annual subscription required then I'd skip it - in which case I could buy
any GPS - with/without that option.

The GPS units I have looked at are all a subscription service. Check the
box or the GPS manufacturer's web site for specific details.

Old November 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

[...]

I use a Magellan with no extras. On one trip, I got a car with a built-in
which had the traffic & highway extras. 4 or 5 times during the trip, a
traffic jam warning cam up and asked me if I wanted to avoid the area. I
chose no, and when I got to the questionable area, there was nothing there.
I've decided not to pay extra for this option on my personal GPS.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Mandarinmint Mandarinmint is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis[_1_] View Post
"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

[...]

Same here, I have not paid anything extra for using my Garmin and it works fine. The traffic warnings come up now and then, but for the most part, I live in Los Angeles, so there's really no avoiding bottle necked freeways during the weekday or weeknight at any given time. I use mine mainly for travelling. . .mine even has a map of europe. So last year when I went to Italy, I rented a car and went road tripping around the countryside. It was FANTASTIC.
__________________
Mandarin.mint
Budget Travel: FAQ, Articles and Discussion
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...
"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

[...]

That's great feedback - thanks.

Old December 18th, 2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Update:
I got a Garmin 265T with lifetime traffic - works absolutely perfectly ! It
announces upcoming turns BUT if I ignore the given path ( because I
purposely want to go a little further) , within 2 car lengths of NOT
turning, it recalculates.

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...

Old December 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
Update:
I got a Garmin 265T with lifetime traffic - works absolutely perfectly !
It announces upcoming turns BUT if I ignore the given path ( because I
purposely want to go a little further) , within 2 car lengths of NOT
turning, it recalculates.

Do you need a machine to wipe your ass, too?

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...

Old December 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Sharx35" wrote in message

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
Update:
I got a Garmin 265T with lifetime traffic - works absolutely perfectly !
It announces upcoming turns BUT if I ignore the given path ( because I
purposely want to go a little further) , within 2 car lengths of NOT
turning, it recalculates.

Do you need a machine to wipe your ass, too?

I take it, that a GPS is not quite your "cup of tea".

Old December 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

- wrote on Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:20:05 -0500:

Update:

I got a Garmin 265T with lifetime traffic - works absolutely perfectly !
It
announces upcoming turns BUT if I ignore the given path ( because I
purposely want to go a little further) , within 2 car lengths of NOT
turning, it recalculates.

My built-in GPS in my Honda does that too but usually prefaces
recalculation, unless ordered to do it immediately, by a minute or two
of "Make a U-turn as soon as possible."
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old December 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MLD

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
Update:
I got a Garmin 265T with lifetime traffic - works absolutely perfectly !
It announces upcoming turns BUT if I ignore the given path ( because I
purposely want to go a little further) , within 2 car lengths of NOT
turning, it recalculates.

And what would you want it to do?
MLD

SNIP