NYC hotel prices: credit crunch effects?

Old December 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_2_]

Default NYC hotel prices: credit crunch effects?

I am planning a trip to from England to NYC, next Spring. Probably
April or May.
But I am dismayed at the price of hotels in Manhattan. I was hoping
that the credit crunch would introduce some realistic prices!

I was looking for a single room in a basic 2-star hotel for 50 to 100
$. Staying 5 to 7 nights. But these are hard to find.

Any ideas for cheaper lodgings?
* April or May, excluding Easter, is not high season for air fares. So
I can't really change that.
* Would it be better to leave hotel booking until a few days before I
fly? A risky strategy. But if the credit crunch takes hold there may
be bargains to be had.
* Hostels are cheaper than hotels. But I am too old for hostel dorms.
But do hostels/YMCAs have single rooms? What about safety, cleanliness
and (backpacker) noise in hostels.

Thanks
Mike
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Dec 8, 6:03*am, " bruce_phi...@my-
deja.com wrote:
[...]

It's a little early to be looking for next spring. But Manhatten
hotel prices are not likely to be lower. Last year we stayed at the
Riverside hotel for $99 a night, and that was rather reasonable. Was
not able to find anything lower.
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 06:03:28 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

[...]

Try www.hotwire.com

You have plenty of time to find a cheap special if you check
regularly. Just keep in mind that the cheaper hotels in
Manhattan often have rooms so small that it can be difficult
to walk around the bed.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Two Indian Hotels: to Sleep, Perchance...
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

" wrote:
[...]

The Riverside hotel we stayed in last year had two single beds stacked
on top of each other. We had to pull one out to sleep on them. There
was no room even for larger pieces of luggage. We still had to pay
$99 per night.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Two Indian Hotels: to Sleep, Perchance...- Hide quoted text -

Old December 9th, 2008, 06:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 21:34:06 -0800 (PST), PeterL
wrote:

The Riverside hotel we stayed in last year had two single beds stacked
on top of each other. We had to pull one out to sleep on them. There
was no room even for larger pieces of luggage. We still had to pay
$99 per night.

I had slightly more room in the Gem, with a KS bed and just
enough room to sidle around it for about $100 via Hotwire.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:
The Riverside hotel we stayed in last year had two single beds stacked
on top of each other. We had to pull one out to sleep on them. There
was no room even for larger pieces of luggage. We still had to pay
$99 per night.

I had slightly more room in the Gem, with a KS bed and just
enough room to sidle around it for about $100 via Hotwire.

$100 a night for a shoe box. NYC is expensive!
Surely, prices must come down as the credit crunch takes hold? Less
tourists, less business travel, means more empty hotel beds. And the
hotels must keep cash coming through the door, or they will go bust.
So they start discounting aggressively.
From your economics editor...

Mike
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Steve Cain

So they start discounting aggressively.
From your economics editor...

Mike

Le Parker Meridien for one has the hotel on sale. Online rates are
particularly low subject to events/dates. You should be able to "steal" a
room on Priceline right now. s

Old December 9th, 2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

wrote:
The Riverside hotel we stayed in last year had two single beds stacked
on top of each other. We had to pull one out to sleep on them. There
was no room even for larger pieces of luggage. We still had to pay
$99 per night.

I had slightly more room in the Gem, with a KS bed and just
enough room to sidle around it for about $100 via Hotwire.

$100 a night for a shoe box. NYC is expensive!
Surely, prices must come down as the credit crunch takes hold?

When I went to NY about 30 dollars of the bill was the tax. I doubt that
they can come down much

tim

Old December 10th, 2008, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 18:05:46 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

When I went to NY about 30 dollars of the bill was the tax. I doubt that
they can come down much

tim

How much was the room? NYC charges a higher tax if the room is more
than $200/night which isn't that much for NYC.

Old December 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

wrote:

When I went to NY about 30 dollars of the bill was the tax. I doubt that
they can come down much

tim

How much was the room? NYC charges a higher tax if the room is more
than $200/night which isn't that much for NYC.

It was less than that. I think that the tax was something like 12% plus 5%
plus a fixed 5 dollars but it was a long time ago. I have no idea what each
of the components was.

tim