Recommendations for the perfect climate?

Old May 10th, 2004, 08:24 AM
alohacyberian

Default Recommendations for the perfect climate?

"strawberry icecream" wrote in message
I was wondering where in the world you would recommend for the perfect
climate?

This would also include having little danger of hurricanes, volcanic
activity, earthquakes, etc.

Hawaii! Though people from temperate climates sometimes find it too warm in
the daytime for the first 2 or 3 few years after they move here. Hawaii does
get hurricanes about once every 10 years, but, they don't hit all the
islands, usually only one. If you were to live your whole life on any of the
Hawaiian islands, you'd see about 2 or 3 hurricanes on your island during
your life. Only one island has an active volcano and that one is Kilauea on
the Big Island of Hawaii. Naturally it doesn't effect the entire island. In
Hawaii temperature is about the same year round and most people from
temperate climates can't tell the difference between summer and winter. For
instance Hawaii is cooler in the summer than is San Diego, California and
it's warmer in Hawaii in the winter than it is in San Diego, particularly at
night - ditto for Florida. Many people who move to Hawaii from temperate
climates do miss the changing of the seasons since Hawaii has one season,
perpetual summertime. Each island in Hawaii has spectacular mountains whereas
Florida is flat as a pancake and none of the Great Lakes states have much in
the way of mountains. It's extremely rare that anywhere in Hawaii will go
above 90 degrees and the humidity isn't sweltering like it is in Southern
Ontario, the Great Lakes region or the Gulf states. It's not dry like
California and your lips won't get chapped like they do in California. The
Big Island of Hawaii does have minor earthquakes, but, it's rare they are big
enough to be felt by anyone. In the summer, daytime temperatures on the coast
are usually in the high 80s in the daytime and the high 70s at night. Winter
temperatures at sealevel are usually in the high 70s or low 80s in the
daytime and the low 70s or high 60s at night. Temperatures in higher
elevations such as Volcano on the Big Island, Kula on Maui or Mililani on
Oahu are about 5 or 6 degrees cooler. It only snows with any reguluarity on
the two 13,000 peaks on the Big Island of Hawaii and rarely on 10,000 foot
Haleakala on Maui. Houses on Hawaii do not have heating, though many do have
air conditioning. Living in Hawaii is expensive, though housing and gasoline
are not as expensive as they are in places like San Francisco or New York
City. While things like food are more expensive, one spends no money on
things like heating and winter clothes. And when it rains in Hawaii, the rain
isn't cold. The ocean in Hawaii isn't cold like it is in California nor is it
warm like it is in Florida. I guess you'd say the water is cool. And you
won't see any air pollution in Hawaii due to the tradewinds which compared to
the winds on the Great Plains are really only strong breezes. For more
information about Hawaii - you are invited to visit my Hawaii webpage at:
~ http://hawaii.home.att.net/ - where you'll find no pop-ups, no
advertising, no cookies and nothing for sale. The best way to judge any
place, Hawaii included, is to visit for a few weeks in the summer and in the
winter. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old May 12th, 2004, 08:47 AM
alohacyberian

"strawberry icecream" wrote in message
"alohacyberian" wrote in
[...]

wow, thanks for the long and detailed post!

I must go and look out the website you mentioned.

Okay...a few questions.

Is humidity in Hawaii a problem?

What about mosquitoes?

Killer snakes or animals?

I loved the look of Kauai.........but the price of houses and taxes
scare me. I read stories of local people having to sell up and move
away, due to the house taxes going massively upwards along with house
prices.

Are taxes bad?

No, Hawaii does not have humidity like what you find around the great lakes
or the gulf of Mexico and it's usaully cool in the evenings. The tradewinds
keep the humidity down. Each island has a jungle side and a desert side and
on the desert side you'd only feel the humidity right after a daytime
rainstorm. If you're from the Great Lakes area or Gulf coast area, you might
not consider the few high humidity days in Hawaii to even be humid. There are
misquitos on the jungle side of the islands, but, nothing like Florida. There
are no snakes in Hawaii and no predatory animals that will harm human beings
or pets. About the worse you could expect from the wild animals in Hawaii
would be birds fertilizing your car. No taxes in Hawaii are not bad compared
to many other places on the mainland, particulary San Francisco and New York.
Property taxes are lower than sayh Oregon or California, sales taxes in
California vary by county and can go over 8 or 9% and 15% last time I was in
Ontario, Canada a few years back. Sales tax in Hawaii isn't called sales tax,
but, it's 4.166%. And gasoline is cheaper on Oahu than in San Francisco or
San Diego, but, it's about 50 cents a gallon higher on the outer islands like
Kauai. I paid $2.12 for premium last time I filled up, but, noticed it's gone
up to $2.20 since then at the same station. Yes, compared to Kentucky,
Tennessee or Orlando, Florida - it's expensive to live in Hawaii. KM