Sydney NS and Quebec- What to See/Do?

Old September 3rd, 2004, 04:13 AM
Tom & Linda

Default Sydney NS and Quebec- What to See/Do?

If I book Connie to Canada from NYC...

We go to Quebec and Sydney NS.

What are "the experts" suggestions for a day & evening in Quebec and a day
in Sydney?

Any whale watching excursions in Sydney? Celebrity doesn't offer one, at
least not on the website. I did see a Puffin boat excursion. Is that worth
doing? Or what's the best thing to do in Sydney?

And we're in Quebec all day until 11:00 pm. What are the must do's in
Quebec if we a day and an evening?

And I need the name of the micro brewery in Halifax (Help SNUMBER6).

--Tom

Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:12 PM
jcoulter

"Tom & Linda" wrote in
. net:

If I book Connie to Canada from NYC...

We go to Quebec and Sydney NS.

What are "the experts" suggestions for a day & evening in Quebec and a
day in Sydney?

Any whale watching excursions in Sydney? Celebrity doesn't offer one,
at least not on the website. I did see a Puffin boat excursion. Is
that worth doing? Or what's the best thing to do in Sydney?

Sydney is the most bucolic town you may ever visit. When we were there last
year the biggest thing going was, honestly, a yard sale. There are
excursions to an old fort but a walk around the town is somewhat of a
throwback to the late 50's early 60's. Do not expect any great shopping,
although there is a guy who hangs out at the senior citizens center who is
perhaps the world's expert on Burmese amber (he has been on television!)
and he will sell you some, It is really dark stuff and for amber, well I
did rather like it.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Benjamin Smith

Tom & Linda wrote:
If I book Connie to Canada from NYC...

We go to Quebec and Sydney NS.

In Quebec, we went strolling around Old Quebec which is fairly similar
to a European city (without as much history). It's very picturesque and
quite hilly. Outside of old Quebec there's a nice museum, I think they
have paintings of surrealists through October. The ship goes straight to
the city, just like in Bermuda.

What are "the experts" suggestions for a day & evening in Quebec and a day
in Sydney?

Any whale watching excursions in Sydney? Celebrity doesn't offer one, at
least not on the website. I did see a Puffin boat excursion. Is that worth
doing? Or what's the best thing to do in Sydney?

Maybe, we didn't find much to do in Sydney. We took a 3 hour stroll
around a pleasant looking area, but perhaps there's whale watching.
Hopefully, there will be plenty opportunities for whale watching while
on the ship, when we did the HAL New England/Canada cruise the ship
spent a few hours just drifting in an area where there were plenty of
whale watching excursion boats.

Ben S.

Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:31 PM
jcoulter

"Tom & Linda" wrote in
. net:

And we're in Quebec all day until 11:00 pm. What are the must do's in
Quebec if we a day and an evening?

The good news about Quebec is that you can walk to everything (but the
funicular might be nice for getting up to the city proper from the port
quater) Quebec is one place that you might want to go to dinner despite
having it paid for on the ship. Food in Quebec is divine. There is a museum
in the lower town that has some good native history. Walk along the
ramparts and stroll through the shops, oh yes eat lunch there too!

Quebec is a place to savor more than anything, go without agenda and plan
on discovering another way of life. French (although to a Parisian . . .)
is spoken but you will find that English is also in defference to American
as opposed to Canadian tourists, but the requisite Bonjours and Merci's
will definitely get you better treatment. The same with money, if you must
use US dollars apologize first, better yet use your credit card and keep
the US money tucked away.

In the lower city to the North and east is a district with antiques and art
stores
Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:50 PM
Tom & Linda

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...
Tom & Linda wrote:
If I book Connie to Canada from NYC...

We go to Quebec and Sydney NS.

In Quebec, we went strolling around Old Quebec which is fairly similar
to a European city (without as much history). It's very picturesque and
quite hilly. Outside of old Quebec there's a nice museum, I think they
have paintings of surrealists through October. The ship goes straight to
the city, just like in Bermuda.

If it's similar to a European city... are there any special places to make
sure you visit? Like Piazza Navona or Piazza de Spagna in Rome? Plazza's
to sit, have a cold one, and watch the world go by?

--Tom

Old September 3rd, 2004, 02:01 PM
Jeff Coudriet

Quebec -- gotta have some Sugar pie. A lot like Pecan pie, but made
with maple sugar and walnuts I believe. It will hurt your teeth! Fall
eating in Quebec should be good. Quebecois cuisine is very "country"
and they do good things with root vegetables, hearty fare, etc.,
although you can find high end frou-frou food there too (although not
quite like you can in Montreal). Game is worth getting there too (aka,
not gambling, lol, but critters from nature you can eat).

Jeff