Pittsburgh transport?

Old May 29th, 2006, 05:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Pittsburgh transport?

I am arriving in Pittsburgh, PA via Amtrak late on a Thurs
(7:30-8:00pm). Does anyone know if there is public transport (other
than a cab) between Amtrak and Pitts Int'l Airport? I need to get to
the airport to pick up a rental car (which I will be returning to the
airport when I fly out days later)...apparently picking up a car in
town and returning it to the airport counts as "one-way." Go figure.

I have been to Pitts' tourist pages but couldn't find schedules or
maps...

The Pittsburgh city bus system is at www.ridegold.com

However you are looking at multiple transfers and over an hour on a
city bus.

The Pittsburgh city bus system is at www.ridegold.com

However you are looking at multiple transfers and over an hour on a
city bus.

Service 28X? every 20 minutes during the day. Takes 55 minutes.

http://www.ridegold.com/ride/maps/28X.gif

Old May 29th, 2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

First check with a couple of rental companies. I have never had one
charge a one way fee for different drop off in a metro area. It is
possible that Pittsburgh is strange but check several.

Old May 29th, 2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

I played around a little bit. One possibility is that the only
locations that are open late are at the airport. Pittsburgh is a pretty
compact town. Is it possible to use a taxi Thursday and rent the car on
Friday morning? It might then be possible to rent in the city and
return to the airport without a fee?

Old May 29th, 2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

I'd try to find a hotel around the Amtrak station that has a shuttle to the
airport. For a couple bucks, I'm sure the driver would be happy to take you
since the shuttle is going anyway.

Old May 30th, 2006, 01:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

I am driving to OH Thurs evening, as I have commitments there Fri
morning, and a hotel room reserved for Thurs night. So I really want
to get the car Thurs and presumably miss commuter traffic as well.

Old May 30th, 2006, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"SP Cook" wrote in message
roups.com...

Carole Allen wrote:
I am arriving in Pittsburgh, PA via Amtrak late on a Thurs
(7:30-8:00pm). Does anyone know if there is public transport (other
than a cab) between Amtrak and Pitts Int'l Airport? I need to get to
the airport to pick up a rental car (which I will be returning to the
airport when I fly out days later)...apparently picking up a car in
town and returning it to the airport counts as "one-way." Go figure.

I have been to Pitts' tourist pages but couldn't find schedules or
maps...

On Mon, 29 May 2006 15:18:22 +0100, "Stephen Clark"
wrote:Service 28X? every 20 minutes during
the day. Takes 55 minutes.

http://www.ridegold.com/ride/maps/28X.gif

So it looks like it stops somewhere on Liberty Ave., and Amtrak is at
1100 Liberty Ave., Hmmm, I will check out other car rental agencies
as well as nearby hotels for shuttles...

Old June 1st, 2006, 02:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Pittsburgh transport solution

On Mon, 29 May 2006 04:55:50 GMT, (Carole Allen)
wrote:
I am arriving in Pittsburgh, PA via Amtrak late on a Thurs
(7:30-8:00pm). Does anyone know if there is public transport (other
than a cab) between Amtrak and Pitts Int'l Airport? I need to get to
the airport to pick up a rental car (which I will be returning to the
airport when I fly out days later)...apparently picking up a car in
town and returning it to the airport counts as "one-way." Go figure.

I have been to Pitts' tourist pages but couldn't find schedules or
maps...

Using the 28X express involves a walk of about 8 blocks to a local
bus, then a transfer to the airport express.

The Sheraton (about .2 miles from Amtrak) has its own free shuttle,
but only for guests of the Sheraton.

The Westin (about .2 miles per google maps, but they said less than a
block from Amtrak) staff informed me there is an airport shuttle that
stops at all the downtown hotels, $19 one way (about half the cost of
a cab).

Enterprise said to pick up a car in in town and return to airport is
considered a one-way with $75 drop charge.

So, the Westin and the airport shuttle it is, as Enterprise gave me
the best rental rate (for Labor Day weekend no less), airport pick up
and return.

Thanks to "Bestsellers Cafe" for the tip about nearby hotels.