medieval Salisbury/Northern England/Paris: advice?

Old September 26th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Scott Vandenberg

Default medieval Salisbury/Northern England/Paris: advice?

I may travel in January to either Salisbury or York/Durham or Paris;
main tourist-related interest is medieval history, but hiking and
other activities are also good. Is there enough to keep one occupied,
along those lines, in either the Salisbury or York/Durham areas (I
know there is in Paris)? I probably won't have a car.

Suggestions for specific things to not miss, or lodging suggestions
(cheap), are of course most welcome!

Thank you for your time. Replies via email or to group.
Old September 26th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Colin McGARRY

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:22:12 GMT, Scott Vandenberg
wrote:

I may travel in January to either Salisbury or York/Durham or Paris;
main tourist-related interest is medieval history, but hiking and
other activities are also good. Is there enough to keep one occupied,
along those lines, in either the Salisbury or York/Durham areas (I
know there is in Paris)? I probably won't have a car.

Suggestions for specific things to not miss, or lodging suggestions
(cheap), are of course most welcome!

Better than Paris for medieval history is Normandy.
Rouen - Joan of arc - Cathedral - St maclou church - St Ouen Abbey
-The medieval cemetery (L'Atre de St Maclou)
Caen - William the conquerors castle - Abbey aux Hommes - Abbey aux
dames
Falaise - William the conquerors birthplace
Bayeux - the home of the Bayeux tapestry(embroidery) - One of the few
towns in Normandy to have kept it's medieval buildings.
Honfleur - the main port on the mouth of the Seine in medieval times.
Slipped into decline when Le Havre was built in 1517 and so has stayed
pretty much as it was in the 16th century.
Abbeys - Jumiege - St Wandrille - Lessay
Countless fortified farms from the hundred years war.

In the Caen Bayeux area there is a green bus service.
At Bayeux there is the "Family home" hostel.

Thank you for your time. Replies via email or to group.

peterann2 (at) yahoo.fr
Old September 26th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Reid©

Following up to Scott Vandenberg

I may travel in January to either Salisbury or York/Durham or Paris;
main tourist-related interest is medieval history, but hiking and
other activities are also good. Is there enough to keep one occupied,
along those lines, in either the Salisbury or York/Durham areas (I
know there is in Paris)? I probably won't have a car.

York is fairly near good walking country although in January
weather may not be good and the days are short.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old September 26th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Colin McGARRY

www.cpmac.com/normandy.html

Old September 26th, 2003, 08:08 PM
tim

"Scott Vandenberg" wrote in message
I may travel in January to either Salisbury or York/Durham or Paris;
main tourist-related interest is medieval history,

take a look at some of your options he

http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/index.html

but hiking and
other activities are also good. Is there enough to keep one occupied,
along those lines, in either the Salisbury or York/Durham areas (I
know there is in Paris)? I probably won't have a car.

Neither of these two locations will be particularly easy to get around
by public transport, not impossible, but a bit limited

Suggestions for specific things to not miss,

If you do go to Yorkshire, Fountains and Rievaulx Abbeys really
shouldn't be missed, both are open in the winter, but neither will
be easy by public transport.

both are English heritage sites and you can find access details on

www.english-heritage.org.uk

or lodging suggestions
(cheap), are of course most welcome!

You will probably have no difficulty getting reasonably priced B&B
(unless they are all closed for the winter!)
The local Tourist Information Office will be able to book you
something for a small fee either on the day when you arrive in the
town or the day before from the previous town

Tim

Thank you for your time. Replies via email or to group.

Old September 26th, 2003, 08:24 PM
E. C. Lee

wrote:

[...]

I just got back from a similar trip. In my case I was in London,
parts of Sussex, Paris and a bit of Normandy.

As far as your trip is concerned there are several notable things to
see in Paris. Notre Dame, of course, but don't forget Saint Chapelle!
A visit to the Cluny is a must. I also stumbled upon some of the old
walls erected by Phillipe Augustus. I found that pretty exciting, but
then, that's me! ;-)

I agree about Normandy. In addition to the notable sites, the food is
incredible! ;-) Rouen was one of my favorite cities. Although you
won't get in to see the incredible Rouen Cathedral (closed for
restoration :-( ), St. Ouen, as mentioned above is somewhat of a
consolation. They also have a fine archeological museum with a lot of
Medieval artifacts. It's a wonderful town in general.

Bayeux was also a part of my trip. It was explained to me that the
reason so much as been preserved was because it wasn't bombed in World
War II. There's a story behind that, actually. It goes without
saying that one must see the tapestry. And I rather liked the Bayeux
Cathedral, despite the fact, and possibly because of the fact, that it
had a real mesh of different time periods within it. It's really a
lovely town.

I ended up the last day of my stay in Senlis. This was solely because
it was close to the airport. It was a pleasant surprise to find the
wonderful Medieval streets and a nice cathedral as well.

As far as places to stay, I don't really know your price range and
requirements. But if you need suggestions as to good places to eat,
I've quite a few!

Bon voyage, and let us know how it goes!

Eve
Old September 26th, 2003, 11:35 PM
William Black

"Reid©" wrote in message
Following up to Scott Vandenberg

I may travel in January to either Salisbury or York/Durham or Paris;
main tourist-related interest is medieval history, but hiking and
other activities are also good. Is there enough to keep one occupied,
along those lines, in either the Salisbury or York/Durham areas (I
know there is in Paris)? I probably won't have a car.

York is fairly near good walking country although in January
weather may not be good and the days are short.

The North York Moors north of York are considered 'hazardous' in winter.
Walkers should not go alone or without survival equipment necessary for an
overnight stop in bad weather.

Lots of nice walks but short days (about 7-8 hours of daylight) up to a half
inch of rain a day or, more usually, sleet, fog and the real possibility
of light to medium snow-fall. Temperatures are routinely below zero until
mid morning

In other words you'll need a minimum of a bivi bag and four season sleeping
bag and some food and decent cold weather clothing and footwear that is
waterproof.

I have friends in the Moors Rescue team, they don't like scraping people
up.

On the other hand:

York has enough museums and interesting medieval stuff to keep you occupied
for a few days, and then there's loads of really nice (and cheap because
they're state owned) castles in a chain across North Yorkshire running
through Scarborough, Pickering, Helmsley and Richmond, plus Rosedale
Abbey and Fountains Abbey and Ripon Minster plus loads of good pubs and a
not too bad bus service between them all.

However some attractions close for the winter, check before you go,
opening times should be on the web.

If you consider heading even further north to the Durham/Northumberland area
the weather is worse (colder and the days noticeably shorter and roads
routinely blocked by snow)

--
William Black
------------------

Old September 27th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Michael W Cook

in article , William Black at
wrote on 26/9/03 11:35 pm:

"Reid©" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Bill, winter hill walking in Yorkshire during January is
sub-Arctic conditions, not a place you'd want to get lost or stuck in the
open.

Come south at that time of year, Salisbury is nice, but again Salisbury
Plain can be rather bleak in January. Winchester is not too far and Bishop's
Waltham close by also, Stonehenge and Avebury Stone Circle are a must, Old
Sarum is a good walk.

In the south it's light around 8-8.30am, it's dark by 4-30pm
You're coming at the bleakest time of year.

Cheers

Michael

Michael W Cook

Castles Abbeys and Medieval Buildings
http://www.castles-abbeys.co.uk

Old September 27th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Keith Anderson

wrote:

I may travel in January to either Salisbury or York/Durham or Paris;
main tourist-related interest is medieval history, but hiking and
other activities are also good. Is there enough to keep one occupied,
along those lines, in either the Salisbury or York/Durham areas (I
know there is in Paris)? I probably won't have a car.

Suggestions for specific things to not miss, or lodging suggestions
(cheap), are of course most welcome!

Thank you for your time. Replies via email or to group.

York is a great destination for the summer - the climate in Salisbury
is slightly more influenced by the Gulf Stream and may be a degree or
two warmer in the winter.

Salisbury Cathedral is very special - built in one go in the Early
English Gothic style - see also St Thomas's church with a Hieronymus
Bosch - style Hell Mural only discovered fairly recently (covered over
in the Reformation).

A short train journey away is Bradford-on-Avon (not to be confused
with Bradford, Yorkshire!) with a Saxon church.

Take the train to Bath - late Gothic (Perpendicular style) Bath Abbey
has terrific fan vaulting - bus Bath-Wells for Wells Cathedral: Early
English and Decorated style - Perpendicular cloisters.

Bristol Cathedral has everything - Norman/Romanesque Chapter House,
Early English Elder Lady Chapel, Decorated Choir and Eastern Lady
Chapel, Perpendicular cloisters and 19th century nave. It's also a
Hall Church (no external buttressing) - fairly rare for England.

In Bristol see also St Mary Redcliffe Church (Perpendicular) and the
Lord Mayor's Chapel (opposite the cathedral) has some excellent
mediaval stained glass.

Nice, safe walks along the towpath of the Kennett and Avon Canal
between Bradford-on-Avon and Bath.