London to Salisbury

Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:32 AM
Arthur Hornig

Default London to Salisbury

What is the best/cheapest way from London to Salisbury? Train or bus?
Where can I find schedules and prices?

A Hornig

Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:18 AM
Larry

In article , "Arthur Hornig"
writes:

What is the best/cheapest way from London to Salisbury? Train or bus?
Where can I find schedules and prices?

Train schedules: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/det...n/query.exe/en

Bus schehdules: available on the web. I can research the URL for you, but
want to see if you get this, as no point wasting my time if your address is as
invalid as iot looks.

Larry in Bangkok
Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:36 AM
David Bennetts

"Arthur Hornig" wrote in message
What is the best/cheapest way from London to Salisbury? Train or bus?
Where can I find schedules and prices?

A Hornig

Coach travel is almost invariably cheaper than train in Britain. It will
almost invariably take longer to travel the distance as well.
Look at www.gobycoach.com for timetables and fares.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:07 AM
Charles Hawtrey

"David Bennetts" stumbled to the
microphone and mumbled:

"Arthur Hornig" wrote in message
. ..
What is the best/cheapest way from London to Salisbury? Train or bus?
Where can I find schedules and prices?

A Hornig

Coach travel is almost invariably cheaper than train in Britain. It will
almost invariably take longer to travel the distance as well.
Look at www.gobycoach.com for timetables and fares.

The rule of thumb I use is that coach travel in Britain costs half as
much and takes twice as long compared to rail. Not a hard and fast
rule, but often a reasonable guess.

--
I am not suffering from insanity, quite the opposite, I am enjoying
every minute of it.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM
Alan Harrison

"David Bennetts" wrote in message

"Arthur Hornig" wrote in message
What is the best/cheapest way from London to Salisbury? Train or bus?
Where can I find schedules and prices?

A Hornig

Coach travel is almost invariably cheaper than train in Britain. It will
almost invariably take longer to travel the distance as well.
Look at www.gobycoach.com for timetables and fares.

There are frequent trains from Waterloo, where you can pick up a timetable a
day or two in advance. Price will depend on time of travel, but is not going
to be very high for a journey of this length, especially if you have a cheap
day return.

Alan Harrison

Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:19 AM
Jonathan Morton

"Alan Harrison" wrote in message

There are frequent trains from Waterloo, where you can pick up a timetable

day or two in advance. Price will depend on time of travel, but is not

going
to be very high for a journey of this length, especially if you have a

cheap
day return.

Take the train. Day return £24, up to five day stay £30, up to one month
stay £36. Journey takes about 1hr 30, and it's a frequent service - at least
one train an hour.

Jonathan

Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
tim

"Charles Hawtrey" wrote in message
"David Bennetts" stumbled to the
microphone and mumbled:

"Arthur Hornig" wrote in message
. ..
What is the best/cheapest way from London to Salisbury? Train or bus?
Where can I find schedules and prices?

A Hornig

Coach travel is almost invariably cheaper than train in Britain. It will
almost invariably take longer to travel the distance as well.
Look at www.gobycoach.com for timetables and fares.

The rule of thumb I use is that coach travel in Britain costs half as
much and takes twice as long compared to rail. Not a hard and fast
rule, but often a reasonable guess.

good guess.

The bus usually takes 4 hours (requiring a change in Southampton,
which is well out of the way) or 2 hours 45 if the one direct bus per
day suits the OP's needs.

The train takes 1:50 usually once per hour.

For a day trip the bus costs 14.50, the train 24.00 but if there are
three or more of you this

http://www.railcard.co.uk/network/network.htm

will make the fare cheaper and you will have the card for other
journeys, though note the M-F 10.00 minimum fare - this make
the card virtually useless for journeys within london.
..

Tim

Old February 23rd, 2004, 02:38 AM
nick

"Larry" wrote in message ...

Better to use www.thetrainline.com

Old February 23rd, 2004, 02:09 PM
Oxygene2002

Here is a list of non-smoking restaurants in London
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/london.shtml
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:46 PM
C Walters

On 2004-02-22 10:19:41 +0000, "Jonathan Morton"
said:

"Alan Harrison" wrote in message

There are frequent trains from Waterloo, where you can pick up a timetable

day or two in advance. Price will depend on time of travel, but is not

going
to be very high for a journey of this length, especially if you have a

cheap
day return.

Take the train. Day return £24, up to five day stay £30, up to one month
stay £36. Journey takes about 1hr 30, and it's a frequent service - at least
one train an hour.

Jonathan

I used to commute frequently on that Southwest Train line. My advice -
train service is pretty good but beware of traveling during peak
commute times. The prices are higher and it is very difficult to find
seats, especially if there are multiple people traveling together,
although the train empties out as it gets further away from London.

Booking seats should provide some relief, but I've seen the commuters
who remove the seat reservation tickets placed by the conductor, and
sometimes the train is so crowded the conductor doesn't even come
through the train.

Also, like a dentist's office, the schedule seems to get more delayed
as the day goes on. Add some padding to allow for this if you have
tight connections.