Trip to Germany

Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_3_]

Default Trip to Germany

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:04:55 +0200, Martin wrote:

Jens corrected your spelling so that when you next mention any of these places
you will be able to spell them correctly.

By the way how was your meeting with your long lost relatives?

Bill wasn't very correct with not adding the umlauts and all. I do
think everyone got the drift of where we went though. Obviously it was
just an attempt to make fun of him. I don't think there is a lot of
difference between Cologne and Köln, do you?

My possible relatives were not home when we went to their house. I
left a bunch of "family tree", papers in their mail box. Along with
our e-mail address. We have been exchanging pictures for the past
week. We are not positive of the connection, but it looks like we
might be related.

Cathy
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Pandy

"Cathy L" wrote in message
Jens corrected your spelling so that when you next mention any of

these places
you will be able to spell them correctly.

By the way how was your meeting with your long lost relatives?

Bill wasn't very correct with not adding the umlauts and all. I do
think everyone got the drift of where we went though. Obviously it

was
just an attempt to make fun of him. I don't think there is a lot of
difference between Cologne and Köln, do you?

Like the difference between Germany and Deutschland.

You obviously should have titled your post "Trip to Deutschland".

--
Andy

Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Cathy L" skrev i meddelandet
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:04:55 +0200, Martin wrote:

Jens corrected your spelling so that when you next mention any of these
places
you will be able to spell them correctly.

By the way how was your meeting with your long lost relatives?

Bill wasn't very correct with not adding the umlauts and all. I do
think everyone got the drift of where we went though. Obviously it was
just an attempt to make fun of him. I don't think there is a lot of
difference between Cologne and Köln, do you?

No. Cologne and Nuremberg are both correct spelling in English.
I didn't include them in the 15 out of 35 misspelled names.
But was it Wittenburg or Wittenberg ? Quite different places.
And the whole story is a joke... right ?

Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

S Viemeister wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

"Plenty" of citizens in almost ANY European country speak some English
- But it's strange how easily they forget it, when accosted by
arrogant Ameircan tourists who address them in English without even
bothering to learn the basic pleasantries in the "official" language
of the country!

But we don't know whether they actually said 'good morning' or 'guten
morgen'.

True, but having read their posts for some time, now, I
think it's safe to assume no word of a "foreign" language
would ever sully their lips!
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:15:01 +0100, "tim....."

wrote:
[]
My friend used to say Gruss Gott to everyone, despite the
fact that he knew it was wrong in most parts of the country.

He claimed that it emphasised the fact that he was a foreigner.

"Mars Bars!" is totally unambiguous.

"Where can we get a slice of pizza?" is another.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Andy Pandy wrote:

"Cathy L" wrote in message
Jens corrected your spelling so that when you next mention any of

these places
you will be able to spell them correctly.

By the way how was your meeting with your long lost relatives?

Bill wasn't very correct with not adding the umlauts and all. I do
think everyone got the drift of where we went though. Obviously it

was
just an attempt to make fun of him. I don't think there is a lot of
difference between Cologne and Köln, do you?

Like the difference between Germany and Deutschland.

You obviously should have titled your post "Trip to Deutschland".

With a stop at Sevilla.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

a.spencer3 wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:05:13 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

"Plenty" of citizens in almost ANY European country speak some

English -

But it's strange how easily they forget it, when accosted by arrogant
Ameircan tourists who address them in English without even bothering to
learn the basic pleasantries in the "official" language of the country!

But we don't know whether they actually said 'good morning' or 'guten
morgen'.

or guten abend in the morning.
--

Or the USian trying hard - but in Holland as once heard!

LOL! When I was in college, I once went on a
school-sponsored tour of Mexico. One of the chaperons got
through the whole trip with two words of "Spanish"
(Gratzee-ay SEEN-yer). We traveled by auto, she was always
getting lost and stopping at service stations to ask
directions (fortunately one of her passengers was majoring
in Spanish). The most infuriating thing about the woman,
however, was that, after throughly losing her way, ignoring
any directions she received, and turning a deaf ear to her
carload of passengers attempting to set her straight, she'd
turn a couple of corners and - voila - there we were at our
intended destination! (She must have possessed some sort of
clairvoyance, because she NEVER followed written or verbal
directions.)
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Cathy L wrote:

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:04:55 +0200, Martin wrote:

Jens corrected your spelling so that when you next mention any of these places
you will be able to spell them correctly.

By the way how was your meeting with your long lost relatives?

Bill wasn't very correct with not adding the umlauts and all. I do
think everyone got the drift of where we went though. Obviously it was
just an attempt to make fun of him. I don't think there is a lot of
difference between Cologne and Köln, do you?

Not if you discount both spelling and pronunciation!
(Granted, it's the same city - but how would you know, since
apparently you didn't stop long enough there - or anywhere
else - to actually SEE it?)
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Lennart Petersen wrote:

[]
No. Cologne and Nuremberg are both correct spelling in English.
I didn't include them in the 15 out of 35 misspelled names.
But was it Wittenburg or Wittenberg ? Quite different places.
And the whole story is a joke... right ?

Jeez, I hope so!

Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith[_2_]

Lennart Petersen wrote:

"

No. Cologne and Nuremberg are both correct spelling in English.

Curiously, when you look at a German map Nuremburg become Nurnburg and
COlgne becomes Koln (both with omlouts)