Trip to Germany

Old October 4th, 2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_32_]

Default Trip to Germany

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:09:46 -0400, Cathy L

wrote:

My possible relatives were not home when we went to their house. I
left a bunch of "family tree", papers in their mail box. Along with
our e-mail address. We have been exchanging pictures for the past
week. We are not positive of the connection, but it looks like we
might be related.

That must have been a big disappointment for you all. Didn't you tell them

you
were coming?

There's that pesky language barrier...

--
Best
Greg

Old October 4th, 2007, 12:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Lennart Petersen wrote:

"

No. Cologne and Nuremberg are both correct spelling in English.

Curiously, when you look at a German map Nuremburg become Nurnburg and
COlgne becomes Koln (both with omlouts)

And if I am writing about a trip to China in an english news
group am I expected to write chinese script instead of
English for the town names?

tim

Old October 4th, 2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Dave Smith" skrev i meddelandet
Lennart Petersen wrote:

"

No. Cologne and Nuremberg are both correct spelling in English.

Curiously, when you look at a German map Nuremburg become Nurnburg and
COlgne becomes Koln (both with omlouts)

Nurnburg ??
Real mysterious map.
It's more likely that you'll find Nürnberg and Köln on a German map.
But nevertheless, when writing in English I think it's very much o.k to use
established English names like Rome,Munich,Gothenburg,Copenhagen instead of
the local names.

Old October 4th, 2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 00:55:20 +0100, Lennart Petersen wrote
(in article ):

Lennart Petersen wrote:

"

No. Cologne and Nuremberg are both correct spelling in English.

Curiously, when you look at a German map Nuremburg become Nurnburg and
COlgne becomes Koln (both with omlouts)

Nurnburg ??
Real mysterious map.
It's more likely that you'll find Nürnberg and Köln on a German map.
But nevertheless, when writing in English I think it's very much o.k to use
established English names like Rome,Munich,Gothenburg,Copenhagen instead of
the local names.

Yes of course it's OK. Otherwise we would have to start writing Moscva for
Moscow, Firenze for Florence, Al Qahira for Cairo, etc. etc.

'Ice Cold in Al Iskandariya' would not have been nearly as good a film title
either.

--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane

Old October 4th, 2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gunter Herrmann

Lennart Petersen wrote:

But was it Wittenburg or Wittenberg?

Or Wittenberge (between Hamburg and Berlin - if you followed the trace).

brgds

--
Gunter Herrmann
Orlando, Florida, USA
Old October 4th, 2007, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

Lennart Petersen wrote:

"

No. Cologne and Nuremberg are both correct spelling in English.

Curiously, when you look at a German map Nuremburg become Nurnburg and
COlgne becomes Koln (both with omlouts)

Nurnburg ??
Real mysterious map.
It's more likely that you'll find Nürnberg and Köln on a German map.
But nevertheless, when writing in English I think it's very much o.k to use
established English names like Rome,Munich,Gothenburg,Copenhagen instead of
the local names.

It helps the monolingual people 8-)

--
Mary, biblioholic

bib-li-o-hol-ism : the habitual longing to purchase, read, store,
admire, and consume books in excess.

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_3_]

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:19:42 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

"Plenty" of citizens in almost ANY European country speak some English
- But it's strange how easily they forget it, when accosted by
arrogant Ameircan tourists who address them in English without even
bothering to learn the basic pleasantries in the "official" language
of the country!

But we don't know whether they actually said 'good morning' or 'guten
morgen'.

True, but having read their posts for some time, now, I
think it's safe to assume no word of a "foreign" language
would ever sully their lips!

Yes, we carried a translation book and always tried to use it whenever
possible. We found, in most countries, if you make an attempt, people
help you more.

In Munich, as we walked down Landsburgerstrass, When someone
approached, we would smile. Only younger people would smile back.
Older people would not. It was morning, so Bill would say, " Guten
Morgen".

Cathy
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_3_]

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:07:38 GMT, "Lennart Petersen"
wrote:

"Cathy L" skrev i meddelandet
.. .
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:04:55 +0200, Martin wrote:

Jens corrected your spelling so that when you next mention any of these
places
you will be able to spell them correctly.

By the way how was your meeting with your long lost relatives?

Bill wasn't very correct with not adding the umlauts and all. I do
think everyone got the drift of where we went though. Obviously it was
just an attempt to make fun of him. I don't think there is a lot of
difference between Cologne and Köln, do you?

No. Cologne and Nuremberg are both correct spelling in English.
I didn't include them in the 15 out of 35 misspelled names.
But was it Wittenburg or Wittenberg ? Quite different places.
And the whole story is a joke... right ?

We visited Lutherstadt Wittenberg, the Martin Luther town. I have to
admit I do get confused with Nuremberg. Sometimes I see it spelled
with an "m", and other times with an "n".

Cathy
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_3_]

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:37:27 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Cathy L wrote:

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:04:55 +0200, Martin wrote:

Jens corrected your spelling so that when you next mention any of these places
you will be able to spell them correctly.

By the way how was your meeting with your long lost relatives?

Bill wasn't very correct with not adding the umlauts and all. I do
think everyone got the drift of where we went though. Obviously it was
just an attempt to make fun of him. I don't think there is a lot of
difference between Cologne and Köln, do you?

Not if you discount both spelling and pronunciation!
(Granted, it's the same city - but how would you know, since
apparently you didn't stop long enough there - or anywhere
else - to actually SEE it?)

We stayed at he Holiday Inn, at the Koln airport. The same hotel as
last years tour.

Cathy