Trip to Germany

Old October 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Default Trip to Germany

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*):
Martin wrote:

David Horne:

Cathy L wrote:

David Horne:

Depends on the context. If you're walking along a country path in the
UK, it's customary to say hello to the people passing you.

What, even if you don't speak English ??

Of course.

'Allo will do.

Or Hi, or even just a grunt.

Moin?

--
Erick

"I have a theory that the truth is never told during the 9 to 5 hours." -
Hunter S. Thompson

Old October 5th, 2007, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Erick T. Barkhuis -o-m wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*):
Martin wrote:

David Horne:

Cathy L wrote:

David Horne:

Depends on the context. If you're walking along a country path in the
UK, it's customary to say hello to the people passing you.

What, even if you don't speak English ??

Of course.

'Allo will do.

Or Hi, or even just a grunt.

Moin?

In German, that's fine. French might give the wrong idea!

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old October 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jens Arne Maennig[_5_]

Cathy L wrote:
New Yorkers are the most
friendly people I have ever met

A very homogenious bunch, indeed.

Jens

Old October 5th, 2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_3_]

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:19:21 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 4 Oct 2007 21:28:20 GMT, Jens Arne Maennig wrote:

Martin wrote:
You should have written first.

Caution! Adapting local customs could lead to breaking some of your
precudices.

I thought that the relatives owned a brewery. Did I dream that?

That is on my husbands side. We had a really nice lunch at the Lederer
Brewery in Nurenburg.

Cathy
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jens Arne Maennig[_5_]

Cathy L wrote:
We had a really nice lunch at the
LedererBrewery in Nurenburg.

...berg, sweetheart, no matter if its Nürn... or Nurem...

Je"did I repeat myself?"ns

Old October 6th, 2007, 10:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom Peel

In Munich, as we walked down Landsburgerstrass, When someone
approached, we would smile. Only younger people would smile back.
Older people would not. It was morning, so Bill would say, " Guten
Morgen".

Cathy

The only problem being that no Bavarian would say "Guten Morgen", they
say "Gruss Gott".

You have instantly classified yourself as a visitor - or even worse, a
Bloody Prussian (meaning anyone from outside Bavaria).

T.

Old October 6th, 2007, 01:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_3_]

On 5 Oct 2007 18:38:58 GMT, Jens Arne Maennig
wrote:

Cathy L wrote:
We had a really nice lunch at the
LedererBrewery in Nurenburg.

..berg, sweetheart, no matter if its Nürn... or Nurem...

Je"did I repeat myself?"ns

Gee, if it's berg or burg, I'm sure you figured out what town I was
talking about. You know what? The food was great, no matter how the
town is spelt.

Cathy
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

VainGlorious:

I do think Bavarians and Austrians are a friendly lot. They just
aren't as animatedly enthusiastic about greeting strangers as other
cultures. As a traveler, this can make them seem distant.

But you do agree that Bavarians and Austrians are quite weird, compared
to normal, real Germans, don't you?

--
Erick
[running, ducking and hiding behind his neighbours, who gladly agree]