Frankfurt airport

Old August 30th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Don Prince

Default Frankfurt airport

I will be flying soon from San Francisco to Frankfurt airport in Germany
where I will transfer and fly on to Ljubljana Slovenia. I arrive and depart
in Terminal-1.

I heard some very bad stories about Frankfurt airport like, the directions
are very poor, can't get any information help, security is very tight and it
takes forever to get through the airport. On top of that I do not speak
German.

Any help regarding getting through Frankfurt airport will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Don

Old August 30th, 2004, 03:22 AM
devil

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 02:11:37 +0000, Don Prince wrote:

I will be flying soon from San Francisco to Frankfurt airport in Germany
where I will transfer and fly on to Ljubljana Slovenia. I arrive and depart
in Terminal-1.

I heard some very bad stories about Frankfurt airport like, the directions
are very poor, can't get any information help, security is very tight and it
takes forever to get through the airport. On top of that I do not speak
German.

It appears security has been getting tougher. This said, I don't find FRA
a hard place to navigate. Signage is good and the airport is efficient,
if German-style. Everyone speaks English. Connections can be quite fast
and your luggage usually follows, in contrast with LHR where 90 minutes
while barely enough for yourself is definitely not for your luggage.

Any help regarding getting through Frankfurt airport

will be
appreciated.

Just look for a map on their web site.

Old August 30th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Nobody

In article s1wYc.507$_g7.19@attbi_s52, Don Prince
wrote:

I heard some very bad stories about Frankfurt airport like, the directions
are very poor, can't get any information help, security is very tight and it
takes forever to get through the airport. On top of that I do not speak
German.

Any help regarding getting through Frankfurt airport will be appreciated.

I passed through Frankfurt earlier this month for the first time in
decades. Lots had changed, of course, but I don't think you'll find it
any more difficult to get around in than any other airport you've never
been to. Lots of signs, and helpful people eveywhere, I found.

Keep a smile; it's probably the first thing a stranger will notice
about you. And don't be afraid to ask for assistance if you need it.
You'll find English is spoken widely by airport/airline personnel.

I found security to be much tighter than in the U.S., and therefore
more time-consuming, but it wasn't a problem. I even got tagged for a
full baggage (backpack) search, but the young lady who conducted it was
all smiles and very gracious and friendly. Of course, allow yourself as
much time as you can.

(Caveat: I've always considered the journey to be as much a part of the
adventure as the destination.)

Have a good trip!
Old August 30th, 2004, 04:39 AM
David Bennetts

"Don Prince" wrote in message
I will be flying soon from San Francisco to Frankfurt airport in Germany
where I will transfer and fly on to Ljubljana Slovenia. I arrive and

depart
in Terminal-1.

I heard some very bad stories about Frankfurt airport like, the directions
are very poor, can't get any information help, security is very tight and

it
takes forever to get through the airport. On top of that I do not speak
German.

Any help regarding getting through Frankfurt airport will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Don

I think you'll find a lot worse airports than Frankfurt, check out the
following website for comments on airports:
http://www.airlinequality.com Whilst Frankfurt is obviously a long way from
being the best airport around, some of the North American ones I've
travelled through have been terrible, and I don't have a language problem
there. CDG is a disorganised horrible concrete monstrosity, even parts of a
terminal fell down recently LHR has parts which are decrepit and
tumbledown.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old August 30th, 2004, 04:51 AM
David

No problem. I never had any problems with that airport, and Germany is a
good place for English, second only to Holland or Scandinavia. Make sure

you
are going to Frankfurt am Main and not Frankfurt Hahn (a long way outside

of
the Frankfurt area) or Frankfurt an der Oder (which probably doesn't even
have an airport!) Also find out what the Serbo-Croat (if that is what they
speak in Slovenia... maybe there is a Slovenian language?) for "Frankfurt"
and "Germany" are, for your return.

Good luck

www.freewebs.com/travel-deals

Old August 30th, 2004, 10:30 AM
David Horne

Don Prince wrote:

I will be flying soon from San Francisco to Frankfurt airport in Germany
where I will transfer and fly on to Ljubljana Slovenia. I arrive and depart
in Terminal-1.

I heard some very bad stories about Frankfurt airport like, the directions
are very poor, can't get any information help, security is very tight and it
takes forever to get through the airport. On top of that I do not speak
German.

Any help regarding getting through Frankfurt airport will be appreciated.

Though I've flown into Frankfurt recently, I haven't had to change
planes there since getting off a flight from Boston on the morning of
September 11, 2001. (I'm not kidding.)

I didn't find it difficult to navigate then- there are signs in English,
and you will find it easy to find staff who speak English. As for
security, when I last used the airport last July, I didn't find it
particularly unusual compared to any other major airport nowadays.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:51 AM