USA December trip recommendations?

Old August 16th, 2013, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Stef

Default USA December trip recommendations?

Terry Pinnell wrote:

[snip]
Thanks all but I obviously made a crucial mistake in my wording, sorry! By
"Those included..." I meant my PREVIOUS TRIPS, not places I'd missed. In
other words a list of places I DON'T want to visit on this next trip. And
also indicating the sort of places I've enjoyed in the past.

Well, that certainly changes things, doesn't it?. ;-)

Okay. Go crazy. Go to Hawaii! Find a three island, 10 day package. I
suggest Oahu, Maui, The Big Island. Or book a 7 or 10 cruise to the
Eastern Caribbean out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Or maybe a cruise
from Miami to LA through the Panama Canal? Or get out the old guide
book and see what just Southern California from Santa Barbara to San
Diego has to offer. At least, go to Disneyland. Everyone should visit
it at least once in their life just to put on the resume.

Stef

Thanks, but that's some way off my tentative ideas as described! No
thoughts on itinerary to reach San Diego by car from the east?

Okay. But you must realize the United States is BIG, even the shortest,
most direct crosscountry routes are 2600 to 2800 miles (4000+ km). It
will take you about 4 days and 3 nights, and that's going 80 mph (130
kmph), stopping only for gas, food and sleep. I know. I've done it
3 times by 3 different routes--northern, central and southern. In any
case, if you really want to drive across country in December, here is
my recommendation: take the extreme southern route, Interstate 10,
for the best possible weather. Once you get past Tucson, Arizona, get
on Interstate 8 and that will take you directly to San Diego.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Stef

Thanks Stef. I'll get the maps out and plan a suitable route from a
location roughly east of San Diego that will allow comfortable driving
distance of say 250 miles max and interesting stops with 1 or even 2
nights if local sights justify it.

OK. For a 10 day trip, driving 250 miles only, every other day, that
puts you about 1250 miles east of San Diego as a starting point or San
Antonio, Texas. Unfortunately, most all of that 1250 miles is miles
and miles of miles and miles: empty Desert Southwest. Not much to see
using your 250 mile spacing.

If I decide on New Orleans as destination #1 then I'll fly to destination
#2, and that will obviously then be a little further west to allow for the
couple of days less driving time.

If fly-drive is an option, here's my suggestion: concentrate on the
southern east coast-midwest area of the US. Driving, start in Savannah,
Georgia to St. Augustine, Florida, then west on Interstate 10 across
the Gulf Coast to New Orleans, onto Houston and finally terminate your
driving tour in San Antonio. That's still about 1250 miles, but
there's a lot more to see and do along that route than the western
one.

Fly to San Diego from San Antonio.

Stef

#2, and that will obviously then be a little further west to allow for the
couple of days less driving time.

If fly-drive is an option, here's my suggestion: concentrate on the
southern east coast-midwest area of the US. Driving, start in Savannah,
Georgia to St. Augustine, Florida, then west on Interstate 10 across
the Gulf Coast to New Orleans, onto Houston and finally terminate your
driving tour in San Antonio. That's still about 1250 miles, but
there's a lot more to see and do along that route than the western
one.

Fly to San Diego from San Antonio.

Stef

Great idea, thanks a bunch!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Terry Pinnell"
Thanks all but I obviously made a crucial mistake in my wording, sorry! By
"Those included..." I meant my PREVIOUS TRIPS, not places I'd missed. In
other words a list of places I DON'T want to visit on this next trip. And
also indicating the sort of places I've enjoyed in the past.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Here's a road trip I did in fall of 2006.
Skip Mt Ranier and Yosemite due to snow. ( Roads heading to Ranier from
Cougar,WA close in winter)

http://tinyurl.com/PNW2006

Depending on time, fly into Seattle,WA or Portland,OR.
Lewis and Clark trail, if history buff
To give idea of time to allow, I spent 6 days and made a loop from
Portland,OR to Columbia River Gorge Hotel, Mt Hood, Mt St Helens, to the
coast,down to Joshua Redwoods,back up thru Crater lake, Oregon Caves, to Mt
Ranier
Astoria,WA, Timberline Lodge, back to Portland for a day. ( guessing now at
exact itinerary flow)

Days of driving beautiful coastline, sunsets.
MANY places might/will ?? require reservations that time of year.

From the Redwoods then hop onto I-5 highway down to San Francisco. Then head
to San Diego via Pacific Coast Highway. Stop in Monterey, Carmel, Pebble
Beach, then for the most scenic drive of your life, head to Hearst Castle
via Pacific Coast Highway. Money not a problem ? - stay in Monterey on the
water. Seven Gables and other big,old houses are B&B's and nice to chat with
others there. In San Simeone stay across from Hearst at the Best Western
Cavalier Oceanfront - on the ocean with firepit in back. Same price as
others - excellent place to stay AND , if you like apple pie, in their
restaurant they have THE best homemade apple pie you'll ever eat ( IMHO). At
Hearst you can buy a tour - there are several options so review the options
rather than just getting the standard tour - you might like the upgraded
ones for a few bucks more. From there, if you want to play tourist with the
crowds: Malibu, LA and Anaheim, Disneyland, Hollywood are on the way on
your final drive to San Diego.
If you have the time, I'd recommend taking PCH down to Malibu, then hop onto
I-5 for rest of ride, avoiding rush hour.

Enjoy.

Old August 25th, 2013, 04:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

If cutting through San Francisco, check out
http://touringsfo.info/
An old member here, he has info on ANYTHING about SFO

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
Stef wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

"tim....." wrote:

"Stef" wrote in message
Terry Pinnell wrote:

I'm visiting my son and grandsons in San Diego for a week or so from
about
23rd December. Before that I'd like to take 7-10 days on my own
elsewhere
and would much appreciate recommendations please.

Basically I'd like to fly from London Gatwick to an initial
destination
and then hire a car and work my way to San Diego, sightseeing en
route,
staying at motels. Or if the initial destination was too far away, do
*some* driving but then fly the remainder.

If it wasn't winter then I'd probably elect to visit Canyonlands,
Moab,
Yellowstone etc, places in the West that I missed on previous trips.
Those
included Boston, Bryce Canyon, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Joshua
Tree
National Park, LA, Las Vegas, Meteor Crater, Miami, New York,
Niagara,
Palm Springs, Phoenix, San Francisco, Sedona, Sequoia National Park,
Yosemite, Zion - and I may have missed some.

I haven't got the maps and guides out yet so I'm wide open to all
suggestions please. Tentative thoughts include maybe New Orleans (if
it's
no longer too depressing after the flood catastrophe?) or starting at
some
mid America location and traveling via a southerly (warm!) route
westwards. If I wasn't on my own then I'd want to do some hiking but
reckon on this trip I'll stick to a 'drive and stroll' style.

All ideas warmly appreciated please.

Here's the most efficient routing for the majority of the destinations
you list. Leaves out Boston, New York, Niagara, New Orleans, Miami.
All East Coast ciities and all about 2600 miles (4000 km) from San
Diego.

Fly directly into San Francisco and spend a few days seeing it and the
surrounding areas. Then, depending on the weather: Yosemite,
Sequoia,
Kings Canyon, Death Valley, Las Vegas. Using Vegas as a base: Zion
and Bryce and return to Vegas. Can't visit the North Rim of the Grand
Canyon. It's closed from mid-October to mid-May. South Rim open
year-round.

Depart Vegas for Grand Canyon (South Rim), Flagstaff, The Meteor
Crater
is about a hour east on Interstate 40, return to Flagstaff to Sedona
and
Oak Creek Canyon, Phoenix, then Interstate 10 to Joshua Tree, Palm
Springs, and finally to San Diego.

This is an ambitious trip for 7 to 10 days.

I'll say

ISTR I spent 3 weeks doing the same and everybody thought that I was
doing
too much

Also, the days are short
in December: the sun sets about 5pm. So take that into account.

And if you go as far inland as Grand Canyon, it does snow. It fell
overnight though the main roads were completely clear by lunchtime, but
there was lots of evidence that early in the morning conditions were too
severe for some US drivers :-)

And I missed out on Bryce completely because that was absolutely covered
(though Bryce is definitely a step to far in this itinerary)

tim

Old August 25th, 2013, 10:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Hatunen[_2_]

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 10:47:42 -0400, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

From the Redwoods then hop onto I-5 highway down to San Francisco. Then head
[...]

For the record, California Highway 1 between San Francisco and Santa
Barbara is *not* the Pacific Coast Highway, it is the Cabrillo
Highway. But Ca-1 is the PCH from near Santa Barbara south to San
Onofre, but does not extend to San Diego.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter Lawrence

On 8/12/13 3:10 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:

... on previous trips. Those
included Boston, Bryce Canyon, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree
National Park, LA, Las Vegas, Meteor Crater, Miami, New York, Niagara,
Palm Springs, Phoenix, San Francisco, Sedona, Sequoia National Park,
Yosemite, Zion - and I may have missed some.

Okay, you've been to above places on previous trips.

So on this trip you could do the following:

Fly N/S to SFO and drive down to the Monterey Peninsula and spend a couple
of days enjoying it. Then take Hwy 1 down to San Simeon and take a half day
tour of that famous mansion. Then take Hwy 1 south and then Hwy 46 east to
visit the wineries and vineyards around Paso Robles. Spend a night and a
day there and then head down Hwy 101 visiting Pismo Beach, Solvang, and
Santa Ynez. Depending on your specific itinerary, stay overnight in Santa
Ynez or continue on south on Hwy 101 to Santa Barbara and stay one (or two)
nights there.

Then continue south to Los Angeles. There's a lot to see and do in Los
Angeles, so visit places in Los Angeles that you did not get to see on your
previous visit. Then if you hadn't visited it before on an earlier trip,
spend a whole day in Disneyland. Then head off to San Diego.

- Peter

Old November 14th, 2013, 10:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Peter Lawrence wrote:

[...]

Thanks a bunch all for those helpful later suggestions, and my
apologies for slowness in acknowledging.

My plan still remains wide open, although the following start/end
elements are now firmly booked:

Thursday 12th December
Fly into LA.(Virgin return Heathrow/AX to make use of previous 2010
air miles.) Intend to book 2 nights in LA hotel, not yet decided on
which hotel. Whatever else it offers, I'll want room wifi, so
word-of-mouth recommendations welcomed please. See note below about
car rental.

I'd also appreciate recommendations for one full day in LA please. I
have previously visited LA but saw little except Santa Monica. Forty
years ago enjoyed Universal Studios and would probably do so again
unless better options emerge. (But note that it's a mere #20 on Trip
Advisor page at
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract...alifornia.html
Maybe a guided bus tour? No theme parks etc as I'll get more than my
share with grandsons when I get to San Diego.

And for the evening? (Concert, dinner, show?)

Saturday 14th December
Collect rental car from Avis at LAX. Ford Mustang. Didn't have a hard
top so booked convertible - without considering weather. I suspect
that Californian day time temperatures 14th - 21st Dec likely to
prompt a request for alternative vehicle. Any information appreciated.
Last trip in summer 2012, 'compact' booked wasn't available in San
Luis Obispo and got bumped up to Ford Mustang (hard top). Pleased me
greatly, if not my wife. On my own this time but still fancy a
performance car.

Preferences are for scenic driving, canyons, desert, atmospheric
towns, comfortable motels (with wifi). Haven't planned to book beyond
LA because of current uncertainty about itinerary. Which will depend
largely on prevailing weather forecasts on 14th Dec onwards. If
possible would love another look at Grand Canyon, despite two previous
visis (including return hike to Phantom Lodge on Colorado). Or
Canyonland, which I've never visited. Or...

Saturday 21st December
Return car to Avis at San Diego airport.

Then a week with my family before flying back to London 28th December.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:18 AM
alkbra alkbra is offline
Banned

In December my father wants to go for New York, Niagara Falls and Grand Canyon tour. He wants to stay there for whole December and enjoy the new year with his friends. Have you any knowledge about any tour organizer who can arrange this tour and provide all the facilities like hotel accommodation.
Old February 6th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Imogenia Imogenia is offline
Member

San Diego is a very major city of California. It is the most famous city of California. I have visited the place when I was on my last tour to the United States. I really enjoyed myself a lot while visiting the San Diego. It is the eighth largest city of the united States, and the second largest city of California. I think that everyone should visit the city who visits California.