AUD exchange rate?

Old January 19th, 2004, 04:22 AM
John L

Default AUD exchange rate?

I certainly wouldn't recommend certain currency traders at the
National Australia Bank, they don't seem to have been very good at
predicting currency movements :-)

John L.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 03:03:05 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article 4mAOb.159582$JQ1.31025@pd7tw1no, Ian Phillips at
wrote on 1/18/04 2:35 PM:

I think the Aussie dollar is a commodity play like our Canuck buck.
The Aussies are alted to have one of the strongest economies this year.
Would suggest that the Aussie dollar will continue to rise this year
This is still a volatile time for currency adjustments

Ian

Bit of a difference in the diversity of the Australian and Canadian trading
economies - Australia is better able to withstand the shocks in any single
foreign economy or commodity (Asian contagion, wool prices, health scares,
quarantines, US/European meltdowns). Canada essentially has one trading
partner - much has been said of the rise in the Canadian dollar in 2003. It
hasn't gone up (vis a vis other currencies); the US dollar has gone down.
The Australian dollar, OTOH, has appreciated against most significant
currencies so I'd argue its underlying strength is greater.

Still.....my original point remains: if you can predict currency patterns,
central banks will cut you a blank cheque (in the denomination of your
choice) to work for them. They pay people plenty to guess wrong.

Old January 20th, 2004, 07:17 PM
ncurtis

"4000 psi" wrote in message news:eIHNb.9002$Xq2.5420@fed1read07...
i propose AUS for 51 state of USA ... my gut tells me its a perfect match
... just a guess

Might as well propose the reverse:
-option to request non-delivery of junk mail
-couple of weeks "holiday" time (we'd have to stop calling it
"vacation leave")
-somewhat better healthcare coverage
-possibly other nifty perks, too.

But, to get back to the original question (and sort of stay in
scope)...all you can do is save up your pennies and monitor the
exchange rate. There will be a tilt back in favor of the USD one of
these years; it's the nature of currency exchange. (And hope you don't
get hit with a combination of extra work responsibilities and annoying
health problems, like I did during the last low of the AUD 8( .)

Nancy
Old January 20th, 2004, 07:25 PM
4000 psi

so what you are saying is that "it is better to be healthy and rich than
poor and sick"?

"ncurtis" wrote in message
om...

Old January 21st, 2004, 05:42 AM
Dave Campbell

Not sure I would go that far, but if you're going to be poor and sick
Australia is perhaps one of the better places to do it ;-)

If you want a leading indicator on exchange rates, watch out for upcoming
international events.... especially ones the major currency players think
they might like to take their families to see e. g. Olympic Games. The
economy was going strong back in 2000, but for some reason the currency just
wouldn't climb. Without wanting to launch into major conspiracy theories,
was somebody with extraordinarily large feet standing on its toes? ;-)

Dave Campbell

"4000 psi" wrote in message
so what you are saying is that "it is better to be healthy and rich than
poor and sick"?

"ncurtis" wrote in message
om...

Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:39 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article e_vPb.28569$Xq2.1783@fed1read07, 4000 psi at
wrote on 1/21/04 10:25 AM:

Dave, have you ever heard of Joseph Campbell?

No, but he knows Bluey from Winton!

Old January 25th, 2004, 03:34 AM
4000 psi

he is wall acquainted than