This is Just Nuts

Old January 17th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On 2005-01-14, Chuck wrote:

Other than the Contract of Carriage, not much. In the case of NW, they
are no worse off than had they offered the one-way at the same price as
the round trip.

Except that had they offered the one-way at a reasonable price, they would
now have a free seat for the return to sell.
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On 2005-01-13, js wrote:

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

However, if I'm booking a flight for TOMORROW, It's unlikely that my
plans will need to change between now and the time my flight leaves.
Not too much risk considering the savings.

Fine - then take the risk and buy a non-refundable one-way ticket.

I'm sure he would gladly do that (in fact that's what he's doing by
buying the return) if the airline sold such tickets. But they don't.

That is market economics. You pay for the convenience and risk
reduction.

That he neither needs nor wants.

As a consumer - you can do what you want. Don't begrudge
the seller the same flexibility.

Why should he have to pay extra for something he doesn't want?
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

Old January 17th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

Old January 18th, 2005, 03:18 PM
js

On 2005-01-13, js wrote:

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:

However, if I'm booking a flight for TOMORROW, It's unlikely that

my
plans will need to change between now and the time my flight

leaves.
Not too much risk considering the savings.

Fine - then take the risk and buy a non-refundable one-way ticket.

I'm sure he would gladly do that (in fact that's what he's doing by
buying the return) if the airline sold such tickets. But they don't.

Continental has a ticket for tomorrow - SNA-ERI in booking class N
which is a one way, non-refundable, penalty to change for $319. The
same ticket as a roundtrip is $633 - in the exact same booking class -
N=2E

That is market economics. You pay for the convenience and risk
reduction.

That he neither needs nor wants.

That's not the issue. He was comparing a premium product with an
inferior one and justifying it by saying that for HIM the inferior one
is satisfactory. Look - you can drive to the airport, take a shuttle
bus, a train, a taxi or a limo. You still get to the airport - but the
costs aren't the same. Is a shuttle bus the same as a limo?

As a consumer - you can do what you want. Don't begrudge
the seller the same flexibility.

Why should he have to pay extra for something he doesn't want?

He doesn't have to. =20

Enough already. =20

js

Old January 18th, 2005, 03:18 PM
js

Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:25 AM
mrtravel

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:56:59 -0700, "Bob Myers"
wrote:

The one-way ticket costs about $200 more than the round-trip ticket.
If I buy the round trip ticket and throw the second half away, that's
about $200 less profit that the airline made from me - not counting
the possible opportunity costs from flying the second plane with my
seat empty.

Which says nothing at all about the effect the policy
in general has on the overall profitability of the airline.

That's true, but irrelevant. I explicitly stated in my earlier post
that IN THIS CASE the scheme did not maximize profit for the airline.

The goal is not to maximize profit from a single ticket. It is to
maximize the profit when all seats are sold. It isn't about whether you
will use second half of the ticket, it is about people that want/need to
fly both ways and what restrictions they are willing to put up with for
the price paid. Look at the roundtrip ticket you are buying. In most
cases, these tickets have to be booked in advance. So, if you trip is
"iffy" for even going one way, do you still buy the ticket weeks or
months in advance?