"Dress code wearing thin on air marshals"

Old December 8th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Default "Dress code wearing thin on air marshals"

Dress code wearing thin on air marshals
A Thanksgiving Day morale booster for federal air marshals has instead
turned into possible pink slips for air cops who ignore their strict
dress code.
at http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2555-6114r.htm

Old December 8th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Miss L. Toe

wrote in message
ps.com...
Dress code wearing thin on air marshals
A Thanksgiving Day morale booster for federal air marshals has instead
turned into possible pink slips for air cops who ignore their strict
dress code.
at http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2555-6114r.htm

Nah - that can't be a true story.
Is it April 1st already ?

Old December 8th, 2004, 05:40 PM
nobody

"Miss L. Toe" wrote:
at http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2555-6114r.htm

Nah - that can't be a true story.
Is it April 1st already ?

This is not the first time those stories come out. They started not long after
the air marshalls were expanded big time after 9-11.

The problem is that if a marshall is called to sit in first class and is
dresses "hawaian shirt", he will stand out. If he is called to sit in coach
and is dressed in black tie suit, he will stand out. In a single day, a
marshall will work many flights, some seated in first, some seated in coach.

However, managers should respect the marshall's intelligence a bit more and
let them blend in more. One of the complaints made by them eary on is that
their attire actually drew attention to them because people tend to loosen up
in the aircraft.
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:11 PM
lenny fackler

You see all kinds in 1st class. Hell, they've even let me in a couple
of times and I dress very casual. I mean, not Southwest casual, but
comfortable.
As some quotes in the article point out, a jacket and tie will often be
conspicuous, especially during a holiday. Casual attire can blend in
almost anywhere and anytime.

Old December 8th, 2004, 10:20 PM
nospam

The problem is that if a marshall is called to sit in first class and is
dresses "hawaian shirt", he will stand out. If he is called to sit in
coach and is dressed in black tie suit, he will stand out.

Bull****! I've seen lots of businessmen (and women) in suits in steerage.
In today's economy, companies only pay for first class for their most
exalted, highly over-paid executives. It is true that most people in first
class dress well, but wearing a sport coat with no tie would enable the
marshals to fit in just fine in any class. By the way, marshals cannot
wear Hawaiian shirts, as they need some sort of clothing to hide their
pistol, something you clearly know nothing about.

Pete

Old December 9th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Miguel Cruz

In article , nobody wrote:
The problem is that if a marshall is called to sit in first class and is
dresses "hawaian shirt", he will stand out. If he is called to sit in coach
and is dressed in black tie suit, he will stand out. In a single day, a
marshall will work many flights, some seated in first, some seated in coach.

I don't think that's much of a problem - there are stores that will sell
clothing other than Hawaiian shirts and business suits. Why not wear dockers
and a polo shirt or something?

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old December 9th, 2004, 05:58 PM
B Walker

nospam wrote:
The problem is that if a marshall is called to sit in first class and is
dresses "hawaian shirt", he will stand out. If he is called to sit in
coach and is dressed in black tie suit, he will stand out.

Bull****! I've seen lots of businessmen (and women) in suits in steerage.
In today's economy, companies only pay for first class for their most
exalted, highly over-paid executives. It is true that most people in first
class dress well, but wearing a sport coat with no tie would enable the
marshals to fit in just fine in any class. By the way, marshals cannot
wear Hawaiian shirts, as they need some sort of clothing to hide their
pistol, something you clearly know nothing about.

Apparantly something you clearly know nothing about either, I have no
problem concealing a full size pistol in an IWB with an untucked
Hawaiian shirt.

Old December 9th, 2004, 06:00 PM
B Walker

Fafnir wrote:
In article
"George Greene" wrote:

Of course it's a true story---remember, we are talking about

the government

here

Remember that this is the Administration that draped blue cloths
over the statutes of Truth and Justice.
They give new meaning to the term "MIB"; them boys stand out
like sore thumbs.
And remember the special forces in Afghanistan who were supposed
to blend in with the local fighters, but were ordered to shave
off their beards because they were unsoldierly? This
administration values appearance above all else.

Morale amoung air marshalls is already at historic lows.
They're expected to work twice as many hours as pilots, and are
discovering _why_ pilots are limited to 83 hours of flying per
month - because that equates to 166 hours on duty.

It should also be noted that the firearms skills requirements have been
drastically reduced. The test (and yes, I have taken it) used to be
very hard. Because so many people failed, they felt it was better to
lower standards than to improve training.