This is Just Nuts

Old January 11th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Reef Fish

nobody wrote:
"Scott en Aztl=E1n" wrote:

Why the hell should it cost LESS for a ROUND-TRIP ticket between a
given pair of cities than it does for a ONE-WAY ticket between

those
same two cities?

Because, just like car rental, it costs less to the airline when the

airplane
returns to its point of origin instead of being left in some distant

city :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-) ;-)

Not quite! Poor analogy.

Car rental ONE-WAY is a one-vehicle one-passenger rental service.
If the one-way rental is substatially one-way from A to B, but
seldom from B to A, then the company would have to find ways of
stocking A with enough cars, possibly requiring payment a third-
party to bring back the car.

ONE-WAY flying is a one-vehicle multi-passengers transportation.
The planes are scheduled to return whether any of the one-way
passengers return or not. Charging more for ONE-WAY than for a
ROUNDTRIP, in many instances, is the airline's way of discouraging
passengers doing his own routing to achieve lesser fare.

That's only ONE of the reasons why flying (one-way OR roundtrip)
from ATL -- via IAH -- CZM (Cozumel) on CO, generally costs LESS
than from IAH -- CZM at the same time, on the same plane.

That's airline "economics" alright because "economics" is often
just plain mumble-jumble. :-)

Hope the above helps.

-- Bob.

Old January 11th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Mike Schumann

This is called "yield management" aka "screw your best customers as much as
you can".

After a decade of refining this to an art form, the **** is about to hit the
fan for the major airlines. The screwees have a memory, and they are
flocking to Southwest, Jet Blue, Sun Country, et al in droves, and they
aren't coming back.

So far, only Delta has had the brains and courage to realize that they need
to get real or die. Whether or not this revelation came in time to keep
them alive remains to be seen.

Mike Schumann

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
Why the hell should it cost LESS for a ROUND-TRIP ticket between a
given pair of cities than it does for a ONE-WAY ticket between those
same two cities?

SNA to ERI, flying tomorrow, returning Feb 8: $635 on NWA.
SNA to ERI, flying tomorrow: One-way fare is $830.60. SAME planes,
SAME flight numbers, SAME everything as the outgoing portion of the
round trip, but instead of costing less as it should, it costs MORE. I
might as well just buy the round trip ticket and throw half of it
away...

Call me naive, just makes no sense at all to me.

--
Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy (except to buy loss leaders for
resale on eBay).

Old January 11th, 2005, 11:02 PM
js

Reef Fish wrote:
nobody wrote:
"Scott en Aztl=E1n" wrote:

[...]

Because the roundtrip is in H with a Saturday night stay and is
non-refundable.

The one-way is full fare B/Y, can be refunded or changed without
penalty. B/Y fares are upgraded on a space available basis

Buy a fully flexible round trip and compare it with the same as a one
way and see for yourself - the one way is half the roundtrip.

js

Old January 11th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:53:28 GMT, mrtravel

Call me naive, just makes no sense at all to me.

You need to travel more, and take a course in economics (Capitalism).

The only decent one-way fares are on low-cost airlines like Southwest,
flyi.com, jetblue, etc.

Economics also would make it reasonable to believe that other carriers
flying the same routes as the airlines mentioned, might also have these
discounted one way fares.

They might. Except they are all going bankrupt.

They may still have to match fares in an attempt to stay alive.