Anybody been to an ALMOND in Barbados???

Old January 8th, 2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Default Anybody been to an ALMOND in Barbados???

I do not see much posted here....

BUT I just found out on Friday, that I WON a five day, all expenses
paid trip to one of the Almond resorts in Barbados!!!.

Still don't' know which one or all the details BUT I was hoping
perhaps to get a little digging done in case I do get to register some
preferences. For example, I see a variety of different opinions on the
"Club & Spa" resort versus "Almond Village"...I have read the more
recent reviews on Trip Advisor and for the most part nearly all seem
disappointed. And I understand there was a lot of renovation
done/being done?

Any pointers anyone has about which resort is better OR which room to
request, better beach, dining pops, etc. I would really appreciate it.
Certainly not going to complain too much regardless, after all it is a
gift horse -just curious AND the more I know the more I can ask for if
the opportunity presents itself.

I am very familiar with Barbados, so I am sure we will have fun.
GUYS???

Old January 9th, 2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

I can not give updated info of any of the two hotels. I have been to both,
but it is so long time ago, and times have changed. So has the hotels.

But if there is any Barbados info you need, I am here for you to ask all
sorts of things. What things would you like to know about?

Leif

Old January 10th, 2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

I see you get no replies, so let me try:
You know Barbados, right? So you know where those two hotels are located.
You know one is in Sunset Crest, and one right outside Speightstown.
One is quite large, one is not so large.
The beach Village is aparently more family orientated, and have a lot of
facilities for children and families. While the Almond beach club is more
targeting couples.
Renovation... I was in Barbados in november/december, and A LOT of
renovation is going on at hotels. Competition is getting harder I guess, and
they are also prepearing themselves for world cup cricket in 2007, that
Barbados will host.
I did not move around a lot in Barbados this time, I did not even bother to
go up to the west coast. But I saw that Caribee hotel, Sierra Beach Hotel
and Casuarina were all closed for renovation. Lots of others were open
while renovating. Among them were Accra. Coconut Court was just finished
with their renovations.
I think you had better contact the two hotels to ask before you make up
your mind. Living in a construction site is hardly ever a great idea.

Leif Arild
Norway

Old January 11th, 2006, 12:17 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

thank you Lief. I was surprised when reading here that there was not
much feedback even in the past. Oh well. Again, it is free. The
reviews seem to actuall favor the village (slightly) I will have to
keep digging. thank you so much for your thoguhts!

Old January 15th, 2006, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

well - we have decided on the club and spa instead. By all means Lief
- what are the MUST see's MUST dos'? We will rent a car for sure.
Your input is apreciated! we love to explore and it has been a few
years since I have driven areount the island.

Old January 17th, 2006, 10:54 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

"blue" wrote in message
ups.com...
well - we have decided on the club and spa instead. By all means Lief
- what are the MUST see's MUST dos'? We will rent a car for sure.
Your input is apreciated! we love to explore and it has been a few
years since I have driven areount the island.

Well, Barbados has not changed much for the last few years. Some few new
hotels, and lots of rebuilding of existing hotels, a good upgrade of
St.Lawrence Gap on the south coast, a little more development of Sunset
Crest (where your hotel will be). I have recived information that
construction at Almond Beach Village is over by the way.
Exept for those things, there is not much to tell of new things.

Must sees? I dunno what to say. It all depend on what kind of things you
like.
The things I like the best, is not the things normal tourists do at all. But
let me give you some things that all kind of people like:

Oistins fish market is always a sucess. Friday night is the most lively.
Lots of people, local as well as tourists. There is buses going straight
from your hotel to Oistins every half an hour. Probably about fifteen to
and fifteen after.
Lots of people, lots of music, lots of good fish.

Catamaran cruises is a classic. I love those trips. If you have not been on
them, take a ride. It is nice!

East coast, Batsheba, but dont forget to pass up by Cherry tree hill.
It is a very good place to go for the most spectacular sceneries Barbados
has to offer. It is not far from Barbados Wildlife Reserve. But if you get
to BWR you have come to far, and need to turn around and drive back for 2
minutes and take the road that goes to the right, and just follow that road
for some few minutes.

I think Harrisons Caves also is a must.

I went to Baxters Road one night in december, and that was actually quite
fun. But trust me, that is those things that _I_ think is fun, and no one
else. That is why I have never seen any other tourists there ever... Baxters
Road used to be a very popular place to go, and things were going on to the
early hours. It was called the street that never sleeps. I have been there
to sunrise some few times.
But times has changed, and it is not so busy anymore. And not recommended
unless you want to do something completely completely different.

Go ahead and ask, if there is anything I can do to help, I am here as usual.

Leif Arild
Norway

Old January 18th, 2006, 12:30 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

No, thank you - thank you

In fact, I'd just as soon hear abotu the things you like.

I am glad to hear more (if you don't mind) because, like you, we lenjoy
things that are NOT always the tourist stuff. For example, one of my
biggest regrets my last trip was NOT seeing the caves. I think they
day we were going to go it was raining.

I recall seeing a beautifully landscaped seminary of sorts (theological
school?) - I loved driving up the coast of Bathsheba and exploring some
of the older churches etc. Breahtaking views and incredibly stunnign
surf agains the rocks,...We went way out of our way one afternoon to
have a flying fish sandwinch at a restaraunt on the East Coast.

Because my last trip was a 2-week visit (we stayed at Sam Lord's) I
drove around quite a bit but oddly enough did not explore the other
side of the island (the actual tourist side) as much. Of couse we
drove across the isalnd quite a bit just to get the gap and eat.

We love the little pieces of history and the out-of-the-way places. We
usually stay way from the glitz and the hotels and will often pack a
lunch and drive. I currently have some health considerations so the
hotel amenities are more appreciated than ever, but our whole gig is
usually quite, beautiful, relaxing places.....We will often give up the
little bennies of a resort for location adn soemthign unique.

I have NEVER sat a pool side when I can sit at a stunnign beach. I do
NOT need a foo-foo drink with an umbrella or even a chair IF I can sit
on my towel and take in somthing that is pure raw beatuy.

Do tell the secrets if you feel like it. We are goign to extend our
stay, I think so I am all ears and Baxters, to me, sounds like a "must
see".

Old January 20th, 2006, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

"blue" wrote in message
ups.com...
No, thank you - thank you

In fact, I'd just as soon hear abotu the things you like.

OK, you make me start on something that I dont know where will end and how
long it will be. I will just let my fingers work as my mind goes from place
to place. Lets start in Bridgetown. A town with two main streets, Broad
Street and Swan Street. Most tourist places are in Broad street, but you can
some times find better offers in swan street, most shops there are owned by
indians...
Bridgetown is not much to talk about when it come to nightlife. You have
Boatyard just a 3 minute walk from the Bridge that is a very good place,
especially on friday nights. And for the very speical ones, you have a
street named Baxters Road. I would not really recommend it to people, but it
is the kind of place I like to go myself. But I am a different person than
most others, and I dont think lots of regular tourists would think it is so
cool as I do.
So dont take a taxi from west coast to go to Baxters Road. But if you rent a
car, you can pass there on your way home from Oistins or somewhere else. It
is not a big street, but there are women selling fish fried over open fire,
small rum shops and places like that. My kind of places....
You also have another lively and even more special street in Bridgetown at
night. Nelson Street. Well... what can I say. You find a lot of small bars,
but if you go there, make sure you dont bring any children, or neither your
wife. It is not a street to recommend. But if you are looking for something
really really different... you can take a walk up the street in day time,
and get a small idea of what it is like. It is very very different. And not
so clean.

Eating in Bridgetown: most tourists find their way to Waterfront cafe. It is
a nice place. But actually, if you want the best of local food, just take a
trip upstairs in the mall called Cave Sheperd. Not that fancy place to sit,
but I mean: The food is exellent and cheap. no wonder why there are long
lines there when the locals have lunch. Cave Sheperd is the largest mall in
Bridgetonw and is easy to find. Note that outside that mall is the most
popular place to stand and watch people go by. Sometimes I feel there is as
many people standing outside to see who is going in, as it actually is
inside the mall...

Not far outside Bridgetown you will find Carlisle Bay, the bay between
Bridgetown and Hilton. There are lots of govermental buildings, and if you
see a statue with a man, you will see the stone that the fundament is made
from shine in a very special way. It is a unique stone, only found one place
in the world. And that place is about 15 minutes drive from where I live
here in Norway. That stone is to find also other places in Barbados, among
those, on one of the bridges in town. You will se "the pledge" written in
the same stone type. Larvikitt as we call it. From Larvik Norway.

Carlisle bay is a good place to go swimming, and you will find some wrecks
located in the bay on shallow water. You will also find Barbados smallest
bar (must be) across the road. It has seat for two persons and standing
place for one more.

you will also find a building in that neighbourhood called George Washington
Building. George Washington was only overseas once, and that was when he
were ill, and someone recommended him to to to Barbados, because the climate
there had a healing effect. Washington went, and got better....

Walk a little further away from Bridgetown, and you have the horse race
track on your right. Take in that road, and you have Barbados Museum on the
back of it. I like the museum, but must admit that it is a long time since
last time I was there.

One funny thing about Barbados, and the local neighbourhoods, is that some
people sell things from their home. May be you dont see it so clear from
outside, but it is fine to go to those "shops" and buy stuff. One of those
shops I have found, is near the race track. Next to the stables, there is a
rum shop painted in Heineken colors. Just opposite the heineken bar, there
is a small house. If you knock on their window, you can buy fresh baked
round breads!
No signs that they sell things, but they do.
I have found another shop like that not so far away. In St Mathias Gap.
Follow the main road and pass hastings Police station. There will be a
church on your left side after some few hundred meters. I was once walking
in that street, seing a sign on a house saying "obey your thirst - sprite".
I knocked the window and asked if I could have a beer. Out of the window
came a cold banks beer, and the price was low. hehehe. Funny things, right?
Walking in neighbourhoods is one of my favorite things to do. You see people
you dont meet on the beach. They are very eager to talk, and always
welcoming you. You walk and hear things, see things, and experience bajans
life in a different way. I recommend to do that. Walk a place where people
live close to each other. It is so cool!

I have cycled around most of Barbados, and where I have not been with my
bicycle, I have walked by foot. I know every corner of the island. And I
have been met with open arms all places I have been. The real bajans are
very nice and friendly.

Oistins on a friday night is a must. Lots of good food, drinks, partying
and fun. Lots of loud music also. You can go to Oistins also other nights,
it will be more quiet there then.

I am glad to hear more (if you don't mind) because, like you, we lenjoy
things that are NOT always the tourist stuff. For example, one of my
biggest regrets my last trip was NOT seeing the caves. I think they
day we were going to go it was raining.

The caves is a must in my opinion. If your tour guides name is Hyacint,
please tell her hello from Life, her white boyfriend from Norway. hehehe.

I recall seeing a beautifully landscaped seminary of sorts (theological
school?)

That is Cordrington College, yes.

- I loved driving up the coast of Bathsheba and exploring some
of the older churches etc.

Yes, churches is a nice place to visit. You probably passed St.Johns church.
The one with the beautiful scenery. I walked to that one from Farley Hill
once. Farley Hill is also a very nice place. Just across the street of
Barbados Wildlife Reserve. Farley Hill was an old plantation house. The man
that built it brought a lot of floweres and trees to the island and planted
them there. The place is today a reserve, opened by the queen of england.
The plantation house itself has burned down, and only the ruins are left.
But it is a nice place to stop and admire the view. You will notice that the
heat are not that bad in the height. you will be about 275 meters over sea
level if I remember right. Stunning views over the east coast and the
scottish landscape as they call it.

My favorite viewpoint is Cherry Tree hill. not that far drive from Farley
Hill. Go a little towards the west coast, and take the road in to right
after a couple minutes drive. There is a sign there saying cherry tree hill.
I am just as amazed every time I come out of that forest and seing the view
from the top there. Spectacular!

You had stayed at Sam Lords, right? Then you probably know the history of
that place, and also the beaches in the area. Plenty nice beaches like
Bottom Bay, Crane Beach and so on. Beautiful places...

Oh well.... I could talk and talk and talk... But one time I have to end it.
And since its after midnight, I guess its time to end it now.

Wish you a good trip. And I hope you will enjoy it a lot.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Leif Arild
Norway

Old January 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Oh I love it! Kindred souls. The bread being sold out of a window.
This is just the thing that we get a charge out of and the reason we
ALWAYS rent a car is because we like to take in the neighborhood feel
too. I think I remeber the two seted bar. I do recall many little 4
or 6 feet shacks with an open window that served beer. I remeber
driving aroudn and there wer large tortoises eveywhere. They liekd to
copulate on the few asphalted roads so if this was happening, (and I
immortalized the event on film) a.) they were not quick about it and
b.) you had to turnn the car around and find another route because
there wer often irrigation-like ditches on the side of roads. Big
laugh when I showed the pcitures coming home. Me, taking in nature. I
do recall visitn a "zoo". Perhaps that is the reserve now?

Once I got very sick in Tortola. Inevitably, I ended up going to a
"doc-in-the-box" on St. Thomas, where for $200 he dispensed a very
strong narcotic. He was a rela opoluar doctor on the isalnd Ha Ha.
BUT, beofre that, the trip to the Tortola local clinic, as well as the
trip to the actual hospital there, subsequent pharmacy, etc (where I
could also buy a Maytag) was fascinating. At the hospital, for $35, I
was seen in the ER. The building had no air conditioning and the nurse
took my medical information down on an industrial tri-folded brown
paper towel from a wall dispenser. There were also chickens walking up
and down the corridor, becuase the doors were open. I was a foot from
the lab, where they were watching the Flintstones and you got a
Styrofoam cup with a paper towel for a urine specimen and lid. Had I
not been so ill, it would have been much more interesting.

At any rate. Talk baout rambling.....I am grateful to you because we
WILL look for the "stone" and the forest and such. I recall the
race track and there was some livley rugby games going on too. There
was a mental hospital I think nearby, that looked very archaic and
daunitng and I remember the distinct smell of the rum factory. I recall
a restaeraunt in the Gap that was fighting over a shark that had been
caught that day, in a bid with the other owenrs to see who was goign to
purchase it and have a "shark" special that night!

I am REALLLY lookign forward to this trip!

My memory of the Bajans is the same as your take. They were very warm
and loving towards me on my last trip to Sam Lords, (ballsy but lazy
pirate huh?. If I recall the story is he hung lanterns in the trees and
just sat back and waited for the ships to reef themselves and rowed out
to loot)?The ladies wrokign at hte resrot and th vendors on th ebeach
were very cute. They kept rtying to fee me because I am very small and
thin. My boyfriend at the tim was 6' 7"and the rental palce woudl NOT
let him drive the car. They er afraid he woudl break it. For some
reason, another thing that stands out in my mind the year I stayed
there was: there were tons of "Church's" Fried Chicken retailers.
And I recall eating at one and they had condiments on each table.
Soemthing that looked like honey-mustard nearly made my eyeballs bleed.
Later, at one of the little "shops" en route across the island, I
bough a bottle of "Lotties' Bajan" sauce. It was in a rehabbed
7-Up bottle with a handmade label. For years later, when I had
visitors who claimed, "Hot, spicy stuff doesn't bother me", it
was as if the gauntlet had been thrown. I would pull out Lotties sauce
and watch their foreheads sweat! The infamous flying fish sandwich was
served on Wonder Bread, hot and fresh on a little white house-type
structure that jutted out of a hill on a seaside road. We had to drive
a bit to get the "best" fish sandwich too, but that is the type of
stuff I get a kick out of. The day I checked in to Sam Lords I had
been stuck in Puerto Rico the night before. So, it was the day after
OJ had been chased in the bronco. We had only one channel in the room
and it was CNN. I saw that white bronco go down that highway over and
over again. I remember the day I checked in, at he main house, the
guest register had been signed (ha) by Nicole Simpson. People are
sick. And a large monkey swept down from he trees and ate my granola
bar right out of my hand. I also remember feeding the ferrets all the
time. Funny the stupid things that stand out in your mind.

OK a few more questions: 1.) Are there still monkeys? I went back on
ship a few times, day trips, but didn't see any. As I mentioned we
have five days for free and we are certainly going to extend our visit.
It will likely be the week of the 4th of July since that is my
birthday. 2.) So...is there another MUST have resort that we should
switch to, for say 4 more days? DOES NOT HAVE TO BE 5 STAR. In fact,
if I don't have to spend a King's ransom that is better. If
nothing jumps out in your mind we will likely just stay put for
convenience. 3.) Any particular car rental place better than the
other? I will look for you friend at the caves. 4.) Is it possible to
book that in advance? 5.) For a great birthday dinner, I will turn 44,
what restaurant do you suggest? Doesn't have to be fancy. Good food
supersedes but something nice and attractive is cool. 5.) Finally,
BEST place for sunset?

Thanks pal!!!!!!!! HEY if I am being a pin in the ass - no pressure,
I'll find my way...

Old January 21st, 2006, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

"blue" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK a few more questions: 1.) Are there still monkeys? I went back on

ship a few times, day trips, but didn't see any.

Yes there are monkeys in Barbados still. When we were in Barbados in
november, there was a wild monkey that came by the pool to the hotel.
It stayed thre for a long time, and people ran to get bananas for it. But
no, the monkey throw the bananas away and climbed up in a palm and took a
lizzard there, pealed the skin and ate it.... Bananas? No thanks!
One place you can be pretty sure to see wild monkeys is up by the Barbados
Wildlife Reserve. They are both inside the reserve, but also many of them
outside in the wood there.

2.) So...is there another MUST have resort that we should
switch to, for say 4 more days? DOES NOT HAVE TO BE 5 STAR. In fact, if
I don't have to spend a King's ransom that is better. If nothing jumps
out in your mind we will likely just stay put for convenience.

Why not spend the rest of the days up by Almond Beach Village then?
Should be a good choce. Or take the trip down to the south coast and stay at
Bouganvillea or something like that. Or Accra Beach is also a nice place.

3.) Any particular car rental place better than the
other? I will look for you friend at the caves. 4.)

We have used Coconut Car Rental, and been very satisfied with them.
The owner there will never ever forget me. Here is a little story on the
side of what you are asking about: I had been out a late night, and were
robbed. (dont worry, I go places that is not so good, and you will very very
unlikely end up being in any trouble). Anyway. I was robbed, and went to the
police station next day to repport. They wanted to bring me to the main
police station in Bridgetown. And me and some other policemen were went in
the police car. I think 4 other policemen were in the car. On the way in, we
were passing the office to Coconut Car Rental, and the owner spotted me and
looked at me in, and looked very surprised to see me surrounded by
policemen, while wawing my hands to him when we passed. That story is
perhaps 6-7 years old, but every time I see him back, he reminds me of the
time I passed in the police car. It was fun!

Is it possible to book that in advance?

Yes.

5.) For a great birthday dinner, I will turn 44, what restaurant do you
suggest? Doesn't have to be fancy. Good food supersedes but something nice
and attractive is cool.

I dont know the west coast restaurants that well. Fathoms used to be good at
least. And Carambola and The Cliff. One of those two has just closed their
doors, but I can not remember which one of them. Both of them are located in
the same area, and you have better book a table in advance.
If you are going down on the south coast, try Josefs restaurant. Very very
good, and very nice settings right by the water. Very romantic, very quiet
and nice. Not crowded . My suggestion! Dont be fooled by the entrance and
the front. You have to go in to see, and its best if you even go down to the
tables by the edge to the water. If you dont find it romantic and nice
there, you will not be satisfied any other places either. Trust me!

5.) Finally, BEST place for sunset?

Take your wife on a walk to a quiet place on the beach on the west coast.
You can just go out from your hotel and take a minute or two walk to the
left, and you have a beautiful spot already. Staying at Almond Beach Resort,
you dont have to go far for that! The beach right outside the resort is not
that good by the way. But a couple minutes walk, and you have some of the
most beautiful spots on the island.

Anything else?

Leif A
Norway