Fuel Prices Down.... what about Fuel Supplements?

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Fuel Prices Down.... what about Fuel Supplements?

Now that fuel prices have dropped substantially.... which cruise line is
going to be the FIRST to reduce or even remove those fuel supplements????

Let's not all hold our breath!!!!

Probably the only way that happens is if the State Attorney General in a
place like Florida, NY or NJ takes a keen interest.

--Tom

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Tom K" wrote in message
Now that fuel prices have dropped substantially.... which cruise line is
going to be the FIRST to reduce or even remove those fuel supplements????

I've had a few customers ask me the same thing.

I did pose this question to a cruise line a few weeks ago and was given the
generic "we are constantlyt monitoring the situation and will make
adjustments when possible and as necessary...... yadda...... yadda"

Phooey.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm
Feb. 8, 2009 Solstice Valentine http://www.cruisemaster.com/solstice.htm
May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"George Leppla" wrote:

"Tom K" wrote in message
Now that fuel prices have dropped substantially.... which cruise line is
going to be the FIRST to reduce or even remove those fuel supplements????

I've had a few customers ask me the same thing.

I did pose this question to a cruise line a few weeks ago and was given the
generic "we are constantlyt monitoring the situation and will make
adjustments when possible and as necessary...... yadda...... yadda"

Phooey.

Since they were only for North American passengers, I am wondering
how much was fuel-related and how much was dollar-related. Of course
with that up, too, I would think it is another reason to kill it off.
Of course, what was oil when they instituted the adjustments. It
has come down, but still up substantially.
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"George Leppla" wrote:

"Tom K" wrote in message
Now that fuel prices have dropped substantially.... which cruise line
is
going to be the FIRST to reduce or even remove those fuel
supplements????

I've had a few customers ask me the same thing.

I did pose this question to a cruise line a few weeks ago and was given
the
generic "we are constantlyt monitoring the situation and will make
adjustments when possible and as necessary...... yadda...... yadda"

Phooey.

Since they were only for North American passengers, I am wondering
how much was fuel-related and how much was dollar-related. Of course
with that up, too, I would think it is another reason to kill it off.
Of course, what was oil when they instituted the adjustments. It
has come down, but still up substantially.

Carnival Corp (as the biggest player by far) is a US based company, which
does it's business in US dollars... so no weak dollar adjustments are
necessary.

It's fuel driven and profit driven. Plus it's a simple way to have another
large portion made non-commissionable.

--Tom

Old September 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

"George Leppla" wrote:

"Tom K" wrote in message
[...]

--Tom- Hide quoted text -

VERY TRUE...
I asked WHEN are you reducing pricing for the Fuel, SINCE it was added
then they UPPEd the price and then UPPED it again ( remember 3rd and
4th did not pay?)
They said they probably will never go away. ITS a Farce as is the
price of the Oil when these Moguls are making WAY big bucks off it.
all Speculators. Maybe if they stop buying it for a few days...
Now I hear Opec wants them to stop producing or something cause they
have too much@
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "Tom K" :

"George Leppla" wrote:

"Tom K" wrote in message
[...]

The weak dollar was part of the reason for the higher prices. Oil is
priced in dollars (the Iranians tried to set up a market priced in
euros, nobody went for it). The dollar is now up vs. the euro and
demand for oil is down. So prices are down.

It's fuel driven and profit driven. Plus it's a simple way to have another
large portion made non-commissionable.

When the fuel supplements were first announced, oil prices were around
$90/bbl. At noon EDT, oil was at $103/bbl.

Most of transportation absorbed the fuel increases for quite a while
before bumping their prices. Even the railroads are starting to add
surcharges!

--Tom

Old September 10th, 2008, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Neal Eckhardt

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:32:04 -0700 (PDT), Susette
wrote:

Now I hear Opec wants them to stop producing or something cause they
have too much@

They are cutting back production .5 million barrels a day.
Surprisingly, they are trying to keep the price of oil up. This is not
in their best interest. Every time the US has announced we are going
to get off of foriegn oil and become energy independent (see Jimmy
Carter days), they slash the price of oil by raising production to the
point where it is no longer feasible to research alternatives since
the alternative cannot make money at low oil prices.

Their announcement runs counter to what they have done in the past.

--
Neal

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a
peeing section in a swimming pool?
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Neal Eckhardt wrote:

Their announcement runs counter to what they have done in the past.

They can read the trends of their own fields. I am thinking this is
more getting while the getting is good. They may have decided to wring
what they think they can get away with before the oils runs out. It
can't be that they think we are actually serious about conservation
this time.
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:24:20 -0400, Neal Eckhardt wrote:

They are cutting back production .5 million barrels a day.
Surprisingly, they are trying to keep the price of oil up. This is not
in their best interest. Every time the US has announced we are going
to get off of foriegn oil and become energy independent (see Jimmy
Carter days), they slash the price of oil by raising production to the
point where it is no longer feasible to research alternatives since
the alternative cannot make money at low oil prices.

Their announcement runs counter to what they have done in the past.

I'm with Ullman on this, peak Oil is a reality and the Suadis haven't
found new fields in ages.

--
Neal

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a
peeing section in a swimming pool?

retty much.
--
Charles of RTC said: "Like my smoker co-worker who has not worked for
three months now because he has to take oxygen due to diminished
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Chrissy Cruiser :

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:24:20 -0400, Neal Eckhardt wrote:

They are cutting back production .5 million barrels a day.
Surprisingly, they are trying to keep the price of oil up. This is not
in their best interest. Every time the US has announced we are going
to get off of foriegn oil and become energy independent (see Jimmy
Carter days), they slash the price of oil by raising production to the
point where it is no longer feasible to research alternatives since
the alternative cannot make money at low oil prices.

Their announcement runs counter to what they have done in the past.

I'm with Ullman on this, peak Oil is a reality and the Suadis haven't
found new fields in ages.

Well, they seem to get real ****y when anyone brings the subject up,
and they treat their oil reserve numbers in the same way as we treat,
well I was going to say nuclear bombing making information, but that
doesn't work. Identies of spies? Nope.

Anyways, they really don't like to talk about it. Peak Oil is the
elephant in the room.

--
Neal

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a
peeing section in a swimming pool?

retty much.

Pools are easier to clean up.