Hanging up a suit in coach

Old November 13th, 2008, 06:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Ken Litwak

Default Hanging up a suit in coach

I'm soon going to be taking a cross-country trip, from the west coast
to the east coast, a six-hour trip. I'm flying in coach on American on
a 757, out on a red eye and back in late afternoon. I'm going for a job
interview at a conference and I'm taking a suit. What I want to know is:
can I get a flight attendant to hang up my suit? In the past, on some
flights, some flight attendants have done that. At other times, I've had
to stuff it in the overhead compartment,which is hardly what I need
before an interview. Is there a place in coach on a 757 to hang
passenger clothes? Is there a strategy to get to use it? Thanks.
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kev[_4_]

On Nov 13, 12:51*am, Ken Litwak wrote:
* *I'm soon going to be taking a cross-country trip, from the west coast
to the east coast, a six-hour trip. *I'm flying in coach on American on
a 757, out on a red eye and back in late afternoon. *I'm going for a job
interview at a conference and I'm taking a suit. What I want to know is:
* can I get a flight attendant to hang up my suit? *In the past, on some
flights, some flight attendants have done that. At other times, I've had
to stuff it in the overhead compartment,which is hardly what I need
before an interview. Is there a place in coach on a 757 to hang
passenger clothes? Is there a strategy to get to use it? *Thanks.

Hit or miss really. You could ask real nice and quickly explain why.
You could bring brownies.
I typically just wait until the overheads are full and then fold the
jacket
and lay it on top. You can try hanging off the seat in front of you.
You might bring you own hanger and see if you can't find a place
to hang it yourself.
Old November 15th, 2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Nov 13, 5:51*am, Ken Litwak wrote:
* *I'm soon going to be taking a cross-country trip, from the west coast
to the east coast, a six-hour trip. *I'm flying in coach on American on
a 757, out on a red eye and back in late afternoon. *I'm going for a job
interview at a conference and I'm taking a suit. What I want to know is:
* can I get a flight attendant to hang up my suit? *In the past, on some
flights, some flight attendants have done that. At other times, I've had
to stuff it in the overhead compartment,which is hardly what I need
before an interview. Is there a place in coach on a 757 to hang
passenger clothes? Is there a strategy to get to use it? *Thanks.

I don't think you are allowed to bring suits on aeroplanes now. They
are considered a security risk. (The fibres used to make a jacket
could be unpicked and re-assembled to make an offensive weapon. In
fact, there have been incidents when woollen threads were used to
strangle people.)

Maybe you could buy one in your destination city?
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
grusl[_4_]

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
Ken Litwak wrote:

I'm soon going to be taking a cross-country trip, from the west coast
to the east coast, a six-hour trip. I'm flying in coach on American on
a 757, out on a red eye and back in late afternoon. I'm going for a job
interview at a conference and I'm taking a suit. What I want to know is:
can I get a flight attendant to hang up my suit? In the past, on some
flights, some flight attendants have done that. At other times, I've had
to stuff it in the overhead compartment,which is hardly what I need
before an interview. Is there a place in coach on a 757 to hang
passenger clothes? Is there a strategy to get to use it? Thanks.

Good luck on the interview. Don't worry about it. Bring a nice perma
press suit and just give it a quick iron in your hotel prior to your
interview.

He's making a day trip of it.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old November 16th, 2008, 08:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Ken Litwak

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
Ken Litwak wrote:

I'm soon going to be taking a cross-country trip, from the west coast
to the east coast, a six-hour trip. I'm flying in coach on American on
a 757, out on a red eye and back in late afternoon. I'm going for a job
interview at a conference and I'm taking a suit. What I want to know is:
can I get a flight attendant to hang up my suit? In the past, on some
flights, some flight attendants have done that. At other times, I've had
to stuff it in the overhead compartment,which is hardly what I need
before an interview. Is there a place in coach on a 757 to hang
passenger clothes? Is there a strategy to get to use it? Thanks.

Good luck on the interview. Don't worry about it. Bring a nice perma
press suit and just give it a quick iron in your hotel prior to your
interview.

Thanks but the problem is, the interview is happening before the
official check in time. Thanks.

Ken
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Louis Krupp

Ken Litwak wrote:
Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
Ken Litwak wrote:

[...]

As another poster suggested in a different thread, leave earlier, and
arrive the evening before your interview. LAX to BOS takes maybe five
hours; if you're lucky, you'll get maybe four hours of sleep on the
flight, you'll have nowhere to sleep when you get to Boston, you'll be a
basket case, and wrinkles in your suit will be the least of your worries.

Another suggestion: Network. Find someone going to the convention who
*is* getting in the night before, and ask if you can use his or her
shower. That will take care of one of your problems, maybe two if you
can use the other person's hotel room to take a nap.

Back to the suit. There are ways of packing things to minimize
wrinkles, so there is hope. When you take a shower in the colleague's
room, hang your suit up in the bathroom. This will help smooth out any
wrinkles.

Plan to take a nap just before your interview. You might stay coherent
just long enough to sound like your usual intelligent self. *And* your
interviewer will be secretly impressed that you pulled it off just hours
after a red-eye flight.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be rooting for you.

Louis
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message Ken Litwak
was claimed to have wrote:

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
Ken Litwak wrote:

[...]

If you're that worried, fly out a day in advance.

Some clothing can survive being rolled without wrinkling if you're
careful enough and wrap it tight enough, one of my colleges rolls his
suits and then seals them in vacuum suction bags to keep them from
unrolling.

Beyond that, you can take your chances, but I'd assume and plan for the
worst.

If you're really sure that a wrinkle will make the difference between
you getting the job or not, you might be able to find a local
drycleaner, FedEx your suit a couple days in advance and have them press
and store your suit until you arrive.