TSA employee out after airport prank

Old February 8th, 2010, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Ablang

Default TSA employee out after airport prank

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/...SECURITY-PRANK

TSA employee out after airport prank
1/24/2010 3:32 AM

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A college student returning to school after the
winter break fell victim to a prank at Philadelphia's airport by a
Transportation Security Administration worker who pretended to plant a
plastic bag of white powder in her carryon luggage.

The worker is no longer employed by the TSA after the incident this
month, a spokeswoman said.

Rebecca Solomon, 22, a University of Michigan student, wrote in a
column for her campus newspaper that she was having her bags screened
on Jan. 5 before her flight to Detroit when the employee stopped her,
reached into her laptop computer bag and pulled out the plastic bag,
demanding to know where she had gotten the powder.

In the Jan. 10 column for The Michigan Daily, she recounted how she
struggled to come up with an explanation, wondering if it was bomb-
detonating material slipped in by a terrorist or drugs put there by a
smuggler.

"He let me stutter through an explanation for the longest minute of my
life," Solomon wrote. "Tears streamed down my face as I pleaded with
him to understand that I'd never seen this baggie before."

A short time later, she said, the worker smiled and said it was his.

The worker "waved the baggie at me and told me he was kidding, that I
should've seen the look on my face," she said.

Solomon said she asked to speak to a supervisor and filled out a
complaint, and during that process was told that the man was training
TSA workers to detect contraband. Two days later, she said, she was
told he had been disciplined.

"I had been terrified and disrespected by an airport employee," she
said. "He'd joked about the least funny thing in air travel."

There was no answer Saturday at a telephone listing for Solomon at the
University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. An e-mail message seeking comment
from her was sent Saturday by the Associated Press, and a telephone
message was left at her parents' home in suburban Philadelphia.

TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis told The Philadelphia Inquirer she did not
dispute the student's account and said the employee was no longer with
the agency, though she declined to say whether he had been fired or
quit. She also declined to identify the worker or his job title,
citing privacy laws.

"TSA viewed this behavior to be completely inappropriate and
unprofessional," Davis said in a statement. "The employee was
immediately disciplined by TSA management at the Philadelphia
airport."

TSA representatives did not return calls Saturday seeking comment.
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza[_1_]

"Ablang" wrote in message
[...]

This joker should be prosecuted, possibly under a harassment statute. There
is no reason to let him off like that.

Old February 9th, 2010, 06:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Ablang writes:

She also declined to identify the worker or his job title,
citing privacy laws.

I guess no matter how badly a TSA employee screws up, his name will always be
top secret, even on occasions when he nearly killed people.

"TSA viewed this behavior to be completely inappropriate and
unprofessional," Davis said in a statement. "The employee was
immediately disciplined by TSA management at the Philadelphia
airport."

More than just one head needs to roll, just to make sure it doesn't happen
again.
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Sancho Panza writes:

This joker should be prosecuted, possibly under a harassment statute. There
is no reason to let him off like that.

Does that also apply to flight attendants who give unreasonable commands to
passengers?
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Sancho Panza writes:

This joker should be prosecuted, possibly under a harassment statute.
There
is no reason to let him off like that.

Does that also apply to flight attendants who give unreasonable commands
passengers?

Apparently yes. It seems to be a condition of flying. The position seems to
be that if you don't like it, don't take the plane.