LA/San Diego/Tijuana Tour - Suggestions?

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:28 PM

Default LA/San Diego/Tijuana Tour - Suggestions?

Hi all,

I've got a 4-day weekend planned. Going from Austin, TX into LAX 3/18.
From there, planning to drive around LA, down through, San Clemente,

SanDiego and briefly (on foot) over to Tijuana, then back to LAX 3/21.

We're a couple, late 20's, young professionals. We enjoy adventurous,
thrill-type activities. We also want to see what the area has to offer
that we can't see anywhere else. Hollywood-type attractions might be
nice in LA. What's good to do in San Diego or along the rest of the
way? All we've planned so far is air and car, as we like to create the
rest of our trip on the fly, but don't want to waste time trying to
figure out what's good to do and the logistics of getting around to
them all once we get there due to the limited time.

If you have any suggestions, please post them here. I'd like to make
the most of this trip, as we haven't gotten to travel in almost a year
and have not experienced this area of the country yet.

Thanks,

Chris & Pamela J.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:09 AM
janerene

In San Diego, go to Balboa Park where there are several museums and
attractions. There is a free (I think) trolley car where you can get on and
off throughout the tour. The trolley driver talks to you all about the area
along the way. Go to Old Town, Sea Port Village, go to Coronado, drive up
to La Jolla and see the seals on the rocky beach. Of course go to the
beach--there are many good ones. We love visiting SD.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I've got a 4-day weekend planned. Going from Austin, TX into LAX 3/18.
From there, planning to drive around LA, down through, San Clemente,

Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:48 PM

Hi all,

I've got a 4-day weekend planned. Going from Austin, TX into LAX

3/18.
From there, planning to drive around LA, down through, San Clemente,

[...]

On the way to S.D. you may want to check out Black's Beach. The cliffs
above the beach are used for hang gliding. The beach itself is a nude
beach, (unless the cops are 'cracking down').

Tijuana is a definite do not miss. Think of Beyond Thunder Dome with
cheap souviners, street beggers, and horrible ethnic food. TJ should
not be considered Mexico, it gives Mexicans a bad name.

The beach walk at Pacific Beach is great at sundown. Everyone stops
at the time the sun appoaches the horizon. Just as the sun goes below
the the ocean there is sometimes a brief flash of light. Applause at
nature's show signals the resumption of activity. Beer and a doobie
make this a worthwhile free experience.

Old March 4th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Doug McClure

Actually, TJ has some fabulous restaurants. Search sdnet.eats on
www.deja.com for Tijuana restaurant recommendations.

DKM

On 3 Mar 2005 09:48:17 -0800, wrote:

Tijuana is a definite do not miss. Think of Beyond Thunder Dome with
cheap souviners, street beggers, and horrible ethnic food. TJ should
not be considered Mexico, it gives Mexicans a bad name.

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE_KAY_EMM AT EarthLink.net. [For example
.]
Old March 4th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Here's my reply to a similiar question asked back in Sept. 04:

I am from So Calif & it is usually beautiful here in October.
Hopefully, you will have a car & not get too intimidated by our
freeways. They really aren't all that bad, except in rush hour.
I'll
drive here, but I refuse to drive in Italy or Brazil! We're much
safer drivers... Anyway, if you start in San Diego, it is a beautiful

city - Seaworld and the San Diego Zoo are well worth a visit. Old
Town San Diego, where California was founded is very interesting &
'The Gaslamp Quarter' and has nice restaurants, bars & boutiques;
Seaport Village is a little cheesy, but you're right there & if it's a
beautiful day, a nice walk along the water. Coronado Island is also
nice - the world-famous 'Hotel Del' is there. I've heard about a tour

company that shows you San Diego & also takes you to Tijuana, in
Mexico south of the border, which is fun & eye-opening in itself (I
wouldn't drive yourself if you haven't done it before):

Sandiegotours.us

Up the coast is charming La Jolla & the Scripps Institute. Keep
driving north up the I-5, then cut off to the 'Beach Cities' and
Pacific Coast Highway in San Clemente. This is a cute old surfing
town, next Dana Point has a lovely harbor. Next town inland is San
Juan Capistrano, well worth a visit to it's mission & the Del Rio
District. Although I live in Newport, Laguna BEach is my favorite.
Darling surf/artists town you can stroll the galleries & stores for a
good day. The beach is right there & Main Beach is where it all
happens. (Although Diamond Street beach is my fav - small & scenic.)
Next Corona del Mar, which has some beautiful beaches, coves & cliffs.
If you like gardens, the Sherman Gardens on PCH is very interesting &

beautiful. Then Newport - Fashion Island Shopping Center is fun -
Neiman Marcus & Bloomingdales & fun just to people watch in this
outdoor setting, unusual for a mall. Balboa Island is wonderful &
after walking Marine Avenue, walk along the Boardwalk to the ferry
over to Balboa Peninsula. The Fun Zone is typical old California
beach amusement park & ok to walk through. On the ocean side, is the
huge long beach, starting with the Wedge, a popular (& dangerous) spot
for bodysurfers, then Balboa Pier & then Newport Pier, connected by a
boardwalk. I'm not a huge fan of Huntington, but further north is
Seal Beach, another darling litle beach town.

However, from Newport, I'd head inland to Disneyland & if possible,
Knott's Berry Farm for a taste of old Caifornia. From here, Hollywood

& Universal Studios. For a peaceful & beautiful day, visit the
Huntington Library & Gardens in Pasadena - just spectacular. Drive up

Sunset to Beverly Hills & park & walk Rodeo - always fascinating &
again, amazing people-watching. From here, Santa Monica is a great
town on the beach, Venice Beach is wild & a kick, then to LAX, which
is close by.

If you really have some more time (which you won't after doing all
this in a week!), I highly suggest driving up to Santa Barabara, a
wonderful town - the mission there is well-preserved & a great example
of California's history, State Street is just fabulous with outdoor
cafes, boutiques - lots of fun. Inland is Santa Inez & our S.
California wine country.

Enjoy! Have a great trip! Let me know if you need any more
specifics
& don't let the negative people put you off - it's like saying you
shouldn't go to NYC - ridiculous!

Old March 6th, 2005, 08:13 PM
BruceB

We're a couple, late 20's, young professionals. We enjoy adventurous,
thrill-type activities.

If you REALLY want a thrill, go to Tijuana and get in an accident or get
busted for just about anything. It doesn't have to be anything you really
did. No one with any brains would take the chance. Others in the NG
will laugh at this, but do so Google-ing on the subject. You won't go.

Old March 7th, 2005, 02:31 AM

I've been to Tijuana & Ensenada literally hundreds of times, having
grown up in California - both vacationing there & volunteering at
Tijuana orphanages. Have never had anything bad happen - ever. I know
there are horror stories, but in most cases they've done something (ie
drugs) to cause the problems. I don't think taking a tour is going to
exactly expose you to any possible problems unless you try to smuggle
something back.