Traveling to Europe (again)

Old February 24th, 2010, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

Default Traveling to Europe (again)

In article ,
Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Interlingua, at the cost of being deliberately pro Romance biased,
achieves extreme ease of understanding for millions of people without
prior learing.

For speakers of Romance languages, perhaps.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:07:44 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote in post :
:

Interlingua, at the cost of being deliberately pro Romance biased,
achieves extreme ease of understanding for millions of people without
prior learing.

As I said, I had a hard time understanding the paragraph you posted, and
just gave up on most of the words. As Erilar said, it might be easy for
people with a romance-language under their belt, but I bet a lot of Chinese
would struggle.

--
Tim C.
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:59:44 -0600, erilar wrote in post :
:

This can happen to two native English speakers from opposite sides of
the pond, too 8-)

Pants, pavement, fag.....
--
Tim C.
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:52:19 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote in post :
:

But that is better than nothing at all.

Has anyone actually tried going to a rural village in Spain and starting up
a conversation with the lady behind the vegetable stand in Interlingua? (or
any other one). Would she really understand what you were saying?

--
Tim C.
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_2_]

On 24 Feb, 07:46, "Tim C." wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:59:44 -0600, erilar wrote in post :
:

This can happen to two native English speakers from opposite sides of
the pond, too 8-)

Pants, pavement, fag.....
--
Tim C. *

Homely, ass ............

Surreyman
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tee Doubleyou[_3_]

Cathy L wrote:

We will be taking another trip to Europe in May. I would love to get
some "tips" on how to make the trip more enjoyable. In the past, when
I have asked for help, I received more stupid answers than helpful. I
don't mind some whimsical banter as long as some helpful things come
with it.

If I truly upset too many people with my posts, please tell me. Even
better, does anyone know of other sites where I can receive help?

Cathy L

How did you do it in the past? Did you get any "tips" before your
previous trip to Europe besides stupid answers?
Tee

Old November 29th, 2010, 03:41 AM
robert01 robert01 is offline
Member

Location: u.k.

Hi

There are plenty of tourism sites on the internet, sometimes with
interactive maps of city centers with info about sites of interest in
the area. Of course, you need to decide which cities you're going to be
in long enough to make it worth taking notes.

Thanks
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2010-02-17 13:12:10 -0600, Cathy L said:

We will be taking another trip to Europe in May. I would love to get
some "tips" on how to make the trip more enjoyable. In the past, when
I have asked for help, I received more stupid answers than helpful. I
don't mind some whimsical banter as long as some helpful things come
with it.

If I truly upset too many people with my posts, please tell me. Even
better, does anyone know of other sites where I can receive help?

Cathy L

Gee that's pretty self-skeptical. I'm willing to help. The key to
getting good advice here, is to be specific with what you want out of
your trip.

Lonely Planet has a good site for browsing... but frankly, wikipedia is
your best source. There is so much information on so many topics, it
is a great way to do self-research.
--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda/Home_Page/Index.html

Old January 9th, 2011, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

On 2010-02-17 13:12:10 -0600, Cathy L said:

We will be taking another trip to Europe in May. I would love to get
some "tips" on how to make the trip more enjoyable. In the past, when
I have asked for help, I received more stupid answers than helpful. I
don't mind some whimsical banter as long as some helpful things come
with it.

If I truly upset too many people with my posts, please tell me. Even
better, does anyone know of other sites where I can receive help?

Cathy L

Gee that's pretty self-skeptical.

And entirely disingenuous- she gets helpful replies when she posts
specifically (as you suggested.) Most recently that I noticed in March
last year (about wifi.)

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)