Train Schedules, Prices

Old September 7th, 2010, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

Default Train Schedules, Prices

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...

There's nothing in the above eulogy that appeals to me in the slightest. I
would hate the idea of having a set routine each day while on holiday. I'm
leaving for France in a few days - we'll drive down to the south and hope
get to Corsica for a few days. Apart from the first night I've no idea
where
we'll spend each evening, which to me is what makes the travelling
enjoyable.

Well said. My brother and his wife love cruises - I would rather have
needles stuck in my eyes than take one!

Ian

Old September 8th, 2010, 04:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I can see the advantages of a cruise where the boat is used as
hotel so long as you get to make an interesting daily shore trip.

Just as an aside, I remember in Dubrovnik that I saw cruise ship
guests coming to town by small boat, as the ships can't dock there.
That wouldn't be fun for me- all the waiting etc.

Some of the least happy-looking tourists I've ever met were seeing
Iona by cruise ship. The ship couldn't get anywhere near a landing
point so they transferred them by inflatable launches. Very elderly
folks in dayglo lifejackets being bounced for miles across the North
Atlantic in a high wind in autumn to look round a mediaeval graveyard.
When it was time to go back to the boat they looked like they wanted
to just lie down and have someone carve a knotwork stone over them.

Now the large ships have tenders and they are not inflated, but small
vessels that carry up to 75 or more passengers and they are not at all
uncomfortable. They are only used when the harbor is not deep or large
enough for a large ship to dock or a dock is not available. I have taken
them several times during our 50+ cruises and only once were the seas choppy
enough to make some one unhappy if they are prone to sea-sickness...You
don't wear life jackets when using tenders.

--Jean---leaving for Venice in the morning

Old September 8th, 2010, 09:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article . com,
Mike Lane wrote:

There's nothing in the above eulogy that appeals to me in the slightest. I
would hate the idea of having a set routine each day while on holiday. I'm
leaving for France in a few days - we'll drive down to the south and hope to
get to Corsica for a few days. Apart from the first night I've no idea where
we'll spend each evening, which to me is what makes the travelling enjoyable.

Well it's different if you're traveling from another continent and
you're going to some of these smaller towns, you don't know what kind of
accommodations would be available.

Not endorsing cruises though. Used to be that only seniors took
cruises. They've expanded their demographic but still, who wants to do
only day trips after you've crossed the Atlantic?
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Zulus Vulva

On Sep 8, 10:04*am, poldy wrote:
In article . com,
*Mike Lane wrote:

There's nothing in the above eulogy that appeals to me in the slightest.. I
would hate the idea of having a set routine each day while on holiday. I'm
leaving for France in a few days - we'll drive down to the south and hope to
get to Corsica for a few days. Apart from the first night I've no idea where
we'll spend each evening, which to me is what makes the travelling enjoyable.

Well it's different if you're traveling from another continent and
you're going to some of these smaller towns, you don't know what kind of
accommodations would be available.

er.. guide books...internet.....travel groups ;-)

Not endorsing cruises though. *Used to be that only seniors took
cruises. *They've expanded their demographic but still, who wants to do
only day trips after you've crossed the Atlantic?

my parents did a cruise from UK to South Africa on the QE2, it stopped
in Dakar, the arranged coach drove them all into town but nobody
wanted to get off....so it dropped them back at the boat.....too much
culture shock I think ;-)
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Soho Lass Offers 'French' Lessons

On Sep 8, 3:02*pm, Magda wrote:
On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 09:21:55 -0700 (PDT), in rec.travel.europe, Zulus Vulva
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

*... On Sep 6, 1:47*pm, Magda wrote:
*... On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 22:49:21 -0700 (PDT), in rec.travel.europe, Zulus Vulva
*... arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:
*...
*... *... On Sep 5, 9:48*pm, "Jean O'Boyle" wrote:
*...
*... *... It's evident that you have not cruised...at least not lately...there are
*... *... passengers of all ages and they don't line up 30 minutes before each meal as
*... *... food is available all day long...there are ice shows, pools, hot tubs, spas,
*... *... trivia and entertainment of all kinds. Besides, if you visit the country the
*... *... ship leaves from for a few days or a week as we did London, it is indeed
*... *... traveling. I don't call large staterooms with balconies as being crammed and
*... *... there is nothing boring about a cruise...it is what you make it...but so is
*... *... life!
*... *...
*... *... --Jean
*... *...
*... *... ...food is available all day long...there are ice shows, pools, hot
*... *... tubs, spas,
*... *... trivia and entertainment of all kinds...
*... *...
*... *... so you can spend the whole day eating.....coool!
*... *... as for the rest, I can do that in my home town
*... *... crammed meaning no escape from the other morons onboard
*...
*... Michael, it's Jean you are talking to. Try to pay attention!
*...
*... =====
*... It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.
*...
*... a step up from runge though ;-)

The jury is still out on that.

=====
It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

I like to "step down" on scRunge...as in grinding him under my
heel....

;-P

--
Best
Greg
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Martin wrote:

There's nothing in the above eulogy that appeals to me in the slightest.
would hate the idea of having a set routine each day while on holiday.
I'm
leaving for France in a few days - we'll drive down to the south and
hope to
get to Corsica for a few days. Apart from the first night I've no idea
where
we'll spend each evening, which to me is what makes the travelling
enjoyable.

Well it's different if you're traveling from another continent and
you're going to some of these smaller towns, you don't know what kind of
accommodations would be available.

er.. guide books...internet.....travel groups ;-)

Tripadvisor.

That's my point, people are going to do the research ahead of time,
especially if they're coming a long distance.

Jumping on Ryanair at the last minute to travel a few hundred miles and
playing it off the cuff is a different thing than an intercontinental
trip.
Old September 10th, 2010, 02:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

poldy wrote:
..

That's my point, people are going to do the research ahead of time,
especially if they're coming a long distance.

Jumping on Ryanair at the last minute to travel a few hundred miles
and
playing it off the cuff is a different thing than an intercontinental
trip.

When I plan a trip from scratch, I start researching before I even
decide where I'm going. I like to know in advance where I'm going to
sleep, so I choose where it will be, and it's in a place where there's
more to do than I have time for so I have choices in case of unfriendly
weather or its opposite.
Even when I join a tour, I research destinations in advance. For me,
it's part of the fun.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:47 AM
robert01 robert01 is offline
Member

Location: u.k.

Hi

I see lots of information about rail passes, etc., but can someone
suggest a book or website that would have relatively detailed information
about train schedules in France? One issue I'm considering is whether it
would be better to pay for one of the French RR passes, for three days or
so, or to buy individual tickets.

Thanks