Carrying prescription drugs over borders

Old March 8th, 2004, 02:03 AM

Default Carrying prescription drugs over borders

Hi,

My father is a physician and will be flying with my grandfather to India
soon (my grandfather is moving back to India permanently). My grandfather
is on numerous prescription medications and will be taking them with him
to India. Many of the medications are in their original manufacturer's bottles
because my father bought them directly from a hosptial pharmacy in large
quantities (so that my grandfather would have enough in case we can't get
the equivalent medications in India right away). So, there is no label printed
on these bottles with my grandfather's name and there is no real prescription.

Question: Is there a possibility that they could come across some kind of
a problem at Indian customs? Indian customs is pretty notorious for opening
up bags and if they see a suitcase filled with medications, I'm scared that
that may cause a problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 8th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Mike Cordelli

He could come across a problem at US customs too. The best way to carry
them is in their original bottles with the labels on them. The pharmacy at
the hospital could probably generate the necessary labels for him, and give
him some smaller bottles to put them in. Without any proof as to what they
are, I would assume they would be a problem if they are found.

Old March 8th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Shawn \Me\ Hearn

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

For the most authoritative answer, you need to contact the Indian
embassy or consul nearest you.
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Edwardseco

In article ,
writes:

Question: Is there a possibility that they could come across some kind of
a problem at Indian customs? Indian customs is pretty notorious for opening
up bags and if they see a suitcase filled with medications, I'm scared that
that may cause a problem.

I can't imagine, that in reasonable quantities, anyone would care. Taking along
some proof of medical status might be reasonable insurance. Now if he carries a
pound of heroin, etc. it may be different. Put the bulk of it in check in and
don't sweat it. The only problem I have had in my trips there was over
batteries. They confiscated 4 of my 30 NIMHs. But I got them at the next stop
so it must have satisfied some weird quota. Really, India works out very well
as long as you don't try to impose your pattern on their way of doing things.
edwardseco
Old March 9th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Frank F. Matthews

In article ,
wrote:
Hi,

My father is a physician and will be flying with my grandfather to India
soon

snip

Shawn "Me" Hearn wrote:
For the most authoritative answer, you need to contact the Indian
embassy or consul nearest you.

You want a bureaucrat to provide an answer. Especially an Indian
bureaucrat. FFM