Is E-ticket okay for International travel?

Old March 17th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Not the Karl Orff

Default Is E-ticket okay for International travel?

In article
,
Hilary wrote:

Don't rely on it. Some airlines do require the booking reference, and
some airlines (or airports) require you to show the auto-generated
e-ticket itinerary to pass through security.

Which reminds me... Last year when i was in Argentina, the immigration
officer asked for return tickets. I did have my e-ticket itinerary
(sent to me by AA as a e-ticket receipt).
Old March 17th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Hilary" wrote in message

Don't rely on it. Some airlines do require the booking reference, and
some airlines (or airports) require you to show the auto-generated
e-ticket itinerary to pass through security.

I just cannot understand why check in personnel cannot print such an
itinerary. If it really is as you suggest, then there is much to improve in
terms of e-ticketing. As I see it the whole idea is to get rid of these
nonsense paper tickets. I do undestand that such an *informal* document do
speed up the check in procedures and it is desirable that a passenger have
one in hand when it is his turn to appear in front of the desk.

Old March 17th, 2004, 08:14 PM
XOR

"Javaman" wrote in message ...
"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"Javaman" wrote in message
I've found a pretty good rate for BA flights in October (SEA to AMS, MUC

SEA)
but the rates are only good for E-tickets.
I feel aprehensive about this, but don't know if I am worrying

needlessly.
What is the opinion of the group? Is it a good idea to fly BA
internationally with
E-tickets?
Thanks for your advice!

Is this the usual worry of wondering if 'foreign' places actually have
electricity, never mind computers?

;-)

Actually, no, but I understand your comment.
I've flown to Europe 4 times in the last 4 years, but only with a paper
ticket
and never with BA. AND (more importantly), I've always had non-stops and
now I'll have to change in London. So, I am always wary of connections,
especially since I have never been to Heathrow. I ususally fly direct to
Schiphol
or FRA.

Should be no problem at all, LHR is pretty easy to deal with .
However, are the other legs all BA or a partner? Still shouldn't be a
problem, BUT, on a CO e-ticket SAT-AMS-GVA where the AMS-GVA and
GVA-AMS legs were KLM, KLM in GVA didn't 'have' e-tickets, and thus
could not recognise my ticket. Had to go to the Continental counter
for a paper ticket so they could issue a boarding pass. Only glitch
was CO's one flight is earlier in the day and no one was there. KLM
managed to call someone somewhere and after 30 mins or so managed to
get me a boarding pass as far as AMS, but not onward and I was to see
the ticket agent in AMS. When I was about to board in GVA they called
me back, sent me to the ticket counter, and they'd printed up boarding
passes for the onward flights. Good thing because there was no CO
agent at AMS...

I've flown KLM on e-tickets BKK-AMS-LHR and return last autumn with no
problem, among other destinations, so it's not a KLM-wide thing. I
think it was just a Geneva thing

Anyway, that's something to ask about when you book your tickets, but
shouldn't be a problem. My partner flew the same CO/KLM trip a week
later, and knowing in advance, he got to the airport early enough to
catch the CO person and went directly there before going to the KLM
check-in.

It's been awhile since I've flown BA, but can't recall any
difficulties with e-tix. All my trips to Asia have been e-tickets,
with many connections.
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:17 PM
XOR

Mike wrote in message . ..
Yes unless something goes wrong. I was on Delta, missed a connection,
needed to be rerouted on Air France, it would not take eTicket from
Delta. I almost missed flight waiting on Delta to issue a paper
ticket. Still I prefer etickets. To much hassle if you lose a paper
ticket -- and I sometimes do!!!

Oh right, I forgot about that. I nearly had to be re-routed from UA
onto Air China, the latter of which would not have taken me e-ticket,
though supposedly would just have had to ask to be re-ticketed in
Shanghai. Don't know how well it would have worked since in the end
they managed to get us to a new flight with the original routing. I am
not sure a paper ticket would have made a difference though.
Old March 17th, 2004, 10:36 PM
mtravelkay

Markku Grönroos wrote:

"Hilary" wrote in message

Don't rely on it. Some airlines do require the booking reference, and
some airlines (or airports) require you to show the auto-generated
e-ticket itinerary to pass through security.

I just cannot understand why check in personnel cannot print such an
itinerary. If it really is as you suggest, then there is much to improve in
terms of e-ticketing. As I see it the whole idea is to get rid of these
nonsense paper tickets.

The printout is just looked at, a paper ticket is processed.

Old March 17th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
Emilia wrote:

How can someone ``redeem'' the value of a ticket issued to a
different person? I honestly can't think of any way to do this, but
maybe I'm just not inventive enough

A full fare ticket can be "cashed in". IIRC, the person on the ticket
doesn't have to be the one to cash it in as our company secretaries are
usually the ones to cash in tickets when they are not used.

Do they get to keep the money, or the money is refunded to the credit
card/travel agency/whatever was used to purchase the ticket? If I find
a paper ticket lying in the street, can I bring it to the airline and
cash it in?

How is this different from an e-ticket, anyway? Presumably, a full-fare
e-ticket can be cashed in just as easily.

Old March 18th, 2004, 12:57 AM
mtravelkay

Emilia wrote:

A full fare ticket can be "cashed in". IIRC, the person on the ticket
doesn't have to be the one to cash it in as our company secretaries are
usually the ones to cash in tickets when they are not used.

By cash in, do you mean they get cash to give to somone, or the airline
just credits the company's credit card account? I doubt that if I found
the ticket, they would refund the money for that employees ticket to my
card.

Old March 18th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Tim Kroesen

Ummm... What if you got an eTicket out of a 'reward' program and didn't
purchase it yourself?

Tim K

"~~ Ray ~~" wrote in message
E-Ticket is just like a paper form ticket, but without the paper.

your just
worring yourself, oh.... also forget the phrase its worht as much as

the
paper its printed on. This is one time where it doesnt matter.

If you book it with a credit card, just remember to take this with you

when
you check in.

--

Ray -
www.PaperPencils.co.uk

Old March 18th, 2004, 02:36 AM
randee

In our experience both United and American are still issuing paper
tickets for flights to Europe. I must admit though, those are the only
cases in which I have had paper tickets issued.
--
wf.

Hilary wrote:

E-tickets are fine. I prefer them. From 1 April, BA and KLM will all be
e-ticket or you will need to pay an extra charge. Other airlines are
expected to follow suit.

Hilary