DL pushing the self-serve checkin kiosks

Old March 20th, 2004, 02:04 AM
mtravelkay

Default DL pushing the self-serve checkin kiosks

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

In article ,
Olivers wrote:

.....Somehow, requiring the presence of a "live" agent, thus unavailable
for dealing with a customer with a real problem, to help one through an
evolution no more complex than an ATM transaction seems a particularly
arrogant if not silly demand. I bet most of us could figure out how to
print out a baggage tag strip too (especially at DCA where the "double
step" from counter to the TSA luggage deposit point can occasionally cause
a traffic jam.

Ever tried CO self-serve checkin with a NW ticket on a CO flight?
Can't be done.

Ever tried NW check-in where the 1st flight is NOT on NW? Can't be done.

Ever tried international checkin on AS/QX with a non-U.S./Canadian
passport? Can't be done.

In the US, Most of the people still in check in lines are flying the
same carrier to a domestic destination. A lot of them don't even realize
you can check yourself in even if you have luggage to checkin.

Old March 20th, 2004, 02:08 AM
mtravelkay

nobody wrote:

Mike Cordelli wrote:

Self Service - 30 seconds from putting in a card to boarding pass in hand,
another minute or two to drop off the luggage.

Standing in line - 45 minutes to get to the counter,

Not fair. If/when self-serve picks up, then there will also be a long line
waiting to use them. And the airlines will probably need to re-arrange their
setup so that people also queue to use them.

By the time this happens, most of the people that are using them now
will be checking in from home, office, or hotel.

This will probably end up being similar to ATMs at banks. The one big
difference is that with airlines, the kiosks won't make you fly more often,
whereas ATMs did change banking habits (people go to ATMs more often than they
went to banks before).

I stlll see more and longer lines inside the bank than at the ATM.

Old March 20th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Ethan Hall-Beyer

However, are there any plans for airports to provide generic self-selve kiosks
that could be used by any airline (like SITA terminals which can connect to
whatever airline occupies the check-in desk at that time). ?

Yes, there's a new IATA standard called Common Use Self-Service (CUSS)
the is available for shared kiosk facilities. It's new, and only in
place at a very limited number of airports. That I know of, CUSS kiosks
are installed in Las Vegas, Vancouver, Toronto and Vienna, and trialling
at a few others

The capabilities are still limited to whatever features the airlines
choose to implement in their CUSS self-checkin applications.

In Las Vegas McCarran's case, there are twelve airline brands available
for checkin on the 30-or-so airport-owned kiosks. Airlines still have
their own kiosks at their own counters, and the airport's kiosks are in
common areas, the parkade, at the convention center, etc.
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:42 AM
mtravelkay

Ethan Hall-Beyer wrote:

However, are there any plans for airports to provide generic
self-selve kiosks
that could be used by any airline (like SITA terminals which can
connect to
whatever airline occupies the check-in desk at that time). ?

Yes, there's a new IATA standard called Common Use Self-Service (CUSS)
the is available for shared kiosk facilities. It's new, and only in
place at a very limited number of airports. That I know of, CUSS kiosks
are installed in Las Vegas, Vancouver, Toronto and Vienna, and trialling
at a few others

The capabilities are still limited to whatever features the airlines
choose to implement in their CUSS self-checkin applications.

Come to think of it, I generally associate CUSS with manual checkin, not
Kiosk. I have seen a lot of cussing on "Airline"

Old March 20th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Ethan Hall-Beyer

The capabilities are still limited to whatever features the airlines
choose to implement in their CUSS self-checkin applications.

Come to think of it, I generally associate CUSS with manual checkin, not
Kiosk. I have seen a lot of cussing on "Airline"

Yes, perhaps not the best choice of acronym, but it fits in with other
airlines services like CUTE, MUSE, CUPSS, etc. At least it's memorable!

Old March 20th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

mtravelkay wrote:

I haven't heard of this policy, when did it start?

I suspect it isn't quite that black & white in the policy manual, but that has
been the agent's position the last few times I've flown. The AA machines will
allow you to take an earlier flight (if your ticket qualifies), so that excuse
doesn't even work.
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:31 AM
mtravelkay

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:

mtravelkay wrote:

I haven't heard of this policy, when did it start?

I suspect it isn't quite that black & white in the policy manual, but that has
been the agent's position the last few times I've flown. The AA machines will
allow you to take an earlier flight (if your ticket qualifies), so that excuse
doesn't even work.

Are you saying the agent forced you out of the agent line and into the
kiosk line?

Old March 20th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Jim Anderson

"mtravelkay" wrote in message
. com...
Jim Anderson wrote:

I agree on CO. Went out of PWM last night and there were two agents at

the
counter doing nothing and I was pointed at the kiosk. Interesting part

was
I got dinged with the dreaded SSSS due to a last minute, one-way

purchase
but he never asked for ID.... Scary to think of the origins of 9/11 at

PWM
and they're forgetting to check ID...

I would hate to think that our security depended on an ID check.
How many different kinds of acceptable ID are there?
How difficult would it be to forge one?
Additionally, what percentage of the 9/11 people were known terrorists
at the time of boarding?

Valid point. Yes, my comment was marginally inflamatory. I just remember
seeing Ata and is partner and crime on the cameras at PWM. Comes to mind
every time I fly out of there.

Old March 20th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

mtravelkay wrote:

Are you saying the agent forced you out of the agent line and into the
kiosk line?

Yes. They ask if you have an e-ticket and if so, direct you to the kiosk, even
if there are agents available behind the counter.
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:28 PM
mtravelkay

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
mtravelkay wrote:

Are you saying the agent forced you out of the agent line and into the
kiosk line?

Yes. They ask if you have an e-ticket and if so, direct you to the kiosk, even
if there are agents available behind the counter.

What if you tell them you need to buy another ticket or change the one
you have, or don't have a card to put into the kiosk?