DL pushing the self-serve checkin kiosks

Old March 21st, 2004, 12:16 AM
Steve

Default DL pushing the self-serve checkin kiosks

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
om...
Self Service - 30 seconds from putting in a card to boarding pass in hand,
another minute or two to drop off the luggage.

Standing in line - 45 minutes to get to the counter, then five minutes

there
while they type whatever they madly type into the terminal and take the
bags.

You are more then welcome to stand in line, less people waiting for the
kiosks.

Even better: On-line check-in at home or the office.

I do this all the time, including for international travel (my outbound, at
least) especially when not checking any luggage. Even if checking luggage
in conjuction with on-line check-in, with NWA, at least, I can just goto the
kiosk, which will already recognize I'm checked in, and then ask if I have
baggage to check.

I've also done on-line check-in's with Continental & United and find it to
be a great (self)service.

I've been traveling to London a lot lately and I like the ability to do an
on-line check-in from the office, leave the office in the evening for the
airport with boarding-passes in hand, show-up at the airport with
hand-luggage only, and be on my way without any hassle.. other than perhaps
the TSA. For my return, I wish they would allow on-line check-in for
Europe-USA flights, but with the security routines in place for US based
carriers such as NWA (the pre-check-in interview at LGW, as an example) I
don't see it happening soon. It's on my wish list, though! The NWA(KLM)
LGW check-in staff is great, but even with the Gold/Plat Elite / World
Business Class check-in queue, I'd rather check-in electronically and not
have to queue in line.

I have a couple of upcoming international trips involving paper-tickets
because of interlining multiple carriers (i.e. Northwest to KLM to Malev and
then Northwest to Malaysia to Continental); as I can't use the kiosks or
check-in online with a paper ticket, I'd hope those with e-tickets
(stateside) who don't need to be using the counter use the kiosks, so
individuals with a *real* need to check-in at the counter don't have to wait
for those who could of checked in electronically.

Best,

Steve

Old March 21st, 2004, 12:50 AM
Steve

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message
In article ,
Olivers wrote:

.....Somehow, requiring the presence of a "live" agent, thus unavailable
for dealing with a customer with a real problem, to help one through an
evolution no more complex than an ATM transaction seems a particularly
arrogant if not silly demand. I bet most of us could figure out how to
print out a baggage tag strip too (especially at DCA where the "double
step" from counter to the TSA luggage deposit point can occasionally

cause
a traffic jam.

Ever tried CO self-serve checkin with a NW ticket on a CO flight?
Can't be done.

Sure have; The CO kiosk spits out my boarding pass, often with the dreaded
"SSSS". I have done this many times ticketed by NW but flying on CO metal
in one direction. (i.e. SDF-DTW-SAN on NW metal with SAN-IAH-SDF return on
CO metal -- the CO kiosk checks me in without problem, other than the SSSS
because CO's system only sees the SAN-IAH-SDF and thinks I'm a one-way).

Ever tried NW check-in where the 1st flight is NOT on NW? Can't be done.

Nope, but I have tried NW check-in where the first flight was operated by
NW, but the ticket purchased from CO. It was a no-go. I had to check-in at
the counter. However, it was a trip with a same-day return and I did have a
UA flight as the last segment on the ticket (issued by CO) which could
perhaps be the reason (same-day SDF-DTW-ORD/NW & ORD-SDF/UA)

Ever tried international checkin on AS/QX with a non-U.S./Canadian
passport? Can't be done.

Nope -- but I hear many of the online check-in's will reject one if not
using a US or Canadian passport here in the states.

Most of the time (and with the most common tickets I use), I have no trouble
using the kiosk or doing an on-line check-in. Obviously, there are
exceptions; some of my upcoming upcoming flights are paper-tickets because
of interlining between international carriers. No online or kiosk check-in
for these, but for the routes I fly most often, they're e-tix and I am able
to use self-service check-in online or at the airport.

Best,

Steve

Old March 25th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Miguel Cruz

In article , nobody wrote:
If not, then for international flights, you may find that self-check-in may
not be possible simply because the check-in area isn't "owned" but a single
airline but is shared by many airlines throughout the day.

This of airlines who only have one flight per day at one airport (for
instance, a euro carrier having a saingle daily flight to new york).

Lufthansa has them in Istanbul and I think they only have two or three
flights a day.

On the other hand, the machine couldn't find my reservation so it wasn't
much use.

miguel