Seeking feedback: Malaysia First Class w/EWR-(DXB)-KUL-MEL-KUL-(DXB)-EWR

Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:09 PM
Steve

Default Seeking feedback: Malaysia First Class w/EWR-(DXB)-KUL-MEL-KUL-(DXB)-EWR

Greetings --

Has anyone here flown First Class on Malaysia between EWR and KUL with their
777-200 service? I understand the flight stops at DXB for refuelling.

I'd appreciate any feedback as to best seats on the 777 which operates this
route (I know, only two rows in FC). Additionally, I'm a "window person"
and was wondering for this route if any side of the aircraft would provide a
better view. I believe it'll be mostly daytime on my outbound and mostly
night on my return.

Also, at DXB, I presume they let all pax out? If this is the case, is there
duty free available and what type of facilities would an in-transit
passenger have at DXB? I believe the stop is only like 90 minutes in each
direction.

Also looking for feedback on KLIA, the MH First Class lounge, services
provided, etc. I'll need to spend a night in KUL in each direction and
feedback on hotels would be appreciated. I don't mind going into the city
for my layover (in fact, would prefer it, especially with a 24+ hr
layover/stopover on my return). I understand the FC lounge at KLIA is
amazing, but not familiar with everything that is offered.

Last but not least, seating on MH 744. I hear to avoid row 4, but what
about row 1? Do they have a "coffin seat" to avoid like other carriers do?
What would be a good row for a window view up front?

I greatly appreciate advice from anyone who has taken these flights in the
past. I just offically made my booking -- been wanting to do this for
awhile, but finally found the time in my schedule to do this. Also, what
are the flight times on the EWR-DXB-KUL and reverse segments for those who
have done this? I just have a generic schedule which shows when it leaves
EWR arrives KUL, but would be curious to what actual flight time is on each
segment. I suspect the longest segment time-wise would be the DXB-EWR on
the return against the winds...

Thanks,

Steve

Old March 23rd, 2004, 02:44 PM
Howard Long

Hello Steve

Also, at DXB, I presume they let all pax out? If this is the case, is

there
duty free available and what type of facilities would an in-transit
passenger have at DXB? I believe the stop is only like 90 minutes in each
direction.

I don't know the policy at DXB regarding getting off the plane (whether it
is compulsory or not), but assuming you do, there is a transit security line
to pass through with your carry ons which can be fairly lengthy as they only
have one x-ray unit there. If there are no other flights dissembarking in
front of you of course you'll have no problem if you are in FC.

Duty free is big in Dubai and there are no shortage of opportunities at the
airport with almost the entire ground floor full of duty free outlets.
Especially cheap are cosmetics and tobacco products (eg carton Marlboro
Lights US$12), although as the UAE pegs its currency to the US$ it currently
appeals more to the non-US customer at the moment. I didn't see much
advantage on electronics goods last time I was there a week ago.

Regards, Howard

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Miguel Cruz

Steve wrote:
I'd appreciate any feedback as to best seats on the 777 which operates this
route (I know, only two rows in FC). Additionally, I'm a "window person"
and was wondering for this route if any side of the aircraft would provide a
better view. I believe it'll be mostly daytime on my outbound and mostly
night on my return.

I've only done this roundtrip once and not in FC, but for what it's worth...

You're right about the times - daylight when you first land at DXB and EWR,
but dark on the return. I had a left-side window for the EWR-DXB landing and
it was good. But the plane flies right over the middle of the city so you
probably can't lose.

I've landed at KUL many, many times and it's always dull - not much to see
on either side; the airport is in the middle of a sea of trees.

Also, at DXB, I presume they let all pax out? If this is the case, is there
duty free available and what type of facilities would an in-transit
passenger have at DXB? I believe the stop is only like 90 minutes in each
direction.

I believe that getting off the plane is compulsory at DXB in both
directions. Definitely was on KUL-EWR (I took a week stopover in the
EWR-KUL direction but everyone else seemed to get off too).

Contrary to reports, to me DXB is a pretty boring airport. The shopping
isn't all that exciting, the food is expensive. Good people-watching though,
as you'll see people from some corners of the world that don't show up in
the USA much.

I greatly appreciate advice from anyone who has taken these flights in the
past. I just offically made my booking -- been wanting to do this for
awhile, but finally found the time in my schedule to do this. Also, what
are the flight times on the EWR-DXB-KUL and reverse segments for those who
have done this? I just have a generic schedule which shows when it leaves
EWR arrives KUL, but would be curious to what actual flight time is on each
segment. I suspect the longest segment time-wise would be the DXB-EWR on
the return against the winds...

Yup, that one's about 14 hours.

miguel
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Ocean1971

When I flew this route a few months ago, from EWR-KUL it was an option to get
off in DXB. From KUL-EWR it was mandatory to get off in DXB.
- - Paul
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Steve

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Steve wrote:
You're right about the times - daylight when you first land at DXB and

EWR,
but dark on the return. I had a left-side window for the EWR-DXB landing

and
it was good. But the plane flies right over the middle of the city so you
probably can't lose.

I've landed at KUL many, many times and it's always dull - not much to see
on either side; the airport is in the middle of a sea of trees.

Thanks...

I believe that getting off the plane is compulsory at DXB in both
directions. Definitely was on KUL-EWR (I took a week stopover in the
EWR-KUL direction but everyone else seemed to get off too).

Contrary to reports, to me DXB is a pretty boring airport. The shopping
isn't all that exciting, the food is expensive. Good people-watching

though,
as you'll see people from some corners of the world that don't show up in
the USA much.

Thanks -- it sounds like an interesting airport and if anything would make
for some good people watching. With their currency pegged to the US$,
doesn't sound like the duty free will be any less than other places.

Yup, that one's about 14 hours.

I was thinking at least 12... How many of those 14 are at night-time? From
looking at the schedule, it seems like the entire return trip is at night
(KUL-DXB-EWR) other than perhaps an hour or two prior to landing at EWR.
Sounds like that last sector is going to be a *long* one!

Thanks,

Steve