Incident - Mexico DF

Old December 15th, 2005, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Incident - Mexico DF

Just got back from México this morning, and a friend who was traveling with
the group had a rather rough experience.

He couldn't fall asleep the first night, so sometime after midnight, he took
a little
walk in the Zona Rosa near the hotel where we all were staying.

Apparently he went into a night club there, had a drink and bought a drink
each for
two girls. (Three drinks total)

When he went to pay out, he was presented with a bill for US$1,000. He
complained,
the bouncers got testy, a scuffle ensued. The police came, and sided with
the bouncers.

He ended up giving them the grand just to avoid any more trouble.

Of course, after the fact there was nothing he could do.

A word to the wise...know where you are going if you feel the urge to ramble
in the Zona
Rosa.

This is a trap that is being set on selected unsuspecting tourists, and is
certainly expensive,
but could get downright dangerous.

Old December 16th, 2005, 03:58 AM posted to rec.travel.air

wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Damn, how prices have changed. Why I recall no longer ago than 1960 at
either the Blue Parrot or Club #8 in scenic Villa (now Ciudad) Acuna (not
quite the Zona Rosa) a quickie was $3.00 US, a Coronita 3 pesos, and "all
night" (after 1AM or so) was $5.00 which usually included a cup of bad
coffee and taco of huevos, papas y chorizo in the courtyard in the harsh
light of dawn.

If you think the Zona Rosa is a fiscal risk, stay out of the Plaza Garibaldi
after dark. The stakes there can be higher than cash.....

TMO

Old December 16th, 2005, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air

"TOliver" wrote in message

If you think the Zona Rosa is a fiscal risk, stay out of the Plaza

Garibaldi
after dark. The stakes there can be higher than cash.....

TMO

I don't believe there were any 'quickies' or 'Clintons' involved at this
club.
I think that the bill really WAS three drinks, US$1000. They just saw a
guy who didnt speak Spanish, was a little drunk, and they ran the scam
on him.

This same scam was run on a lot of tourists in eastern Europe after the
walls fell.
A lot of Norwegians got into deep trouble there, were forced to withdraw
everything
they could from their ATM accounts, etc. Some lost tens of thousands, IIRC.

Mexico City has been a relatively safe place for tourists, especially in the
Zona Rosa
for years. No longer...

Old December 17th, 2005, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air

wrote in message
om...

"TOliver" wrote in message

If you think the Zona Rosa is a fiscal risk, stay out of the Plaza

Garibaldi
after dark. The stakes there can be higher than cash.....

TMO

I don't believe there were any 'quickies' or 'Clintons' involved at this
club.
I think that the bill really WAS three drinks, US$1000.

Uh, sure it wasn't 1000 M.N (Pesos)?

They just saw a
guy who didnt speak Spanish, was a little drunk, and they ran the scam
on him.

This same scam was run on a lot of tourists in eastern Europe after the
walls fell.
A lot of Norwegians got into deep trouble there, were forced to withdraw
everything
they could from their ATM accounts, etc. Some lost tens of thousands,

IIRC.

Mexico City has been a relatively safe place for tourists, especially in

the
Zona Rosa
for years. No longer...

Doesn't sound that dangerous - just sounds like a drunk, ignorant newbie
with no common sense learned the old adage about "a fool and his money" -
ROTFLMAO!!!

Old December 17th, 2005, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air

"Stan de SD" wrote in message news:170de$43a47647
Uh, sure it wasn't 1000 M.N (Pesos)?

I asked the same question. He said it was clearly US dollars.

Old December 18th, 2005, 03:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air

In message .com "Cool
Whip" wrote:

Actually, he didn't even need to go outside to get ripped off. I made
the mistake of charging a dinner on my Visa in the restaurant at the
Hotel Krystal in Zona Rosa. A week later, there was $ 4,000.00 charged
to my card. Items were being sent to an address in California.
Luckily UPS didn't deliver because they couldn't identify themselves as
me.

That's why god invented chargebacks.

--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.air

wrote:

"Stan de SD" wrote in message news:170de$43a47647

Uh, sure it wasn't 1000 M.N (Pesos)?

I asked the same question. He said it was clearly US dollars.

Why was he carrying $1000?

Old December 18th, 2005, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air

wrote in message
om...
wrote:

"Stan de SD" wrote in message news:170de$43a47647

Uh, sure it wasn't 1000 M.N (Pesos)?

I asked the same question. He said it was clearly US dollars.

Why was he carrying $1000?

Working cash. That isn't an enormous amount to carry.

Old December 18th, 2005, 03:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air

wrote in message

Your friend should check prices before ordering, especially if he goes
to Chicago.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051215...ghtclubusdrink

Apparently the charge for this drink in Chicago is not hidden. Caveat
emptor...

This original post was meant to advise unsuspecting tourists that this scam
is alive and well. And there is no help from the authorities.

Wherever you are, you need to be aware. Any seemingly prosperous tourist,
not just an American, is a potential target.