Carnival LEgend

Old April 4th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Judy

Default Carnival LEgend

Jim wrote:
....We were also in the main seating and I wore my tux and noticed
that there were at least a half dozen others in my immediate area, (towards
the rear of the dining room), also wearing tuxes. The ladies at our table,
and those close by were all dress accordingly as well.....

We were also towards the rear of the dining room, table 165 on the
starboard side. You must have been on the port side, as nobody in our
vicinity bothered to dress and one gentleman(?) even wore shorts to
dinner, although not on formal night.

Old April 4th, 2004, 04:46 AM
clint

Parrot Heads are those crazy people who follow Merv Griffin around
everywhere.
"Jim" wrote in message
We were also on the March 20th sailing as well as the sailing in 2002 when
she crossed the Atlantic. The ship is still in very good condition and the
crew are very friendly and helpful. As Judy said, the food was great and

the
intinary is one of the best. The shows are excellent, (production shows

that
is), and I am sure you will like this ship. As for the comments about
dining....We were also in the main seating and I wore my tux and noticed
that there were at least a half dozen others in my immediate area,

(towards
the rear of the dining room), also wearing tuxes. The ladies at our table,
and those close by were all dress accordingly as well. Now there was a

huge
group cruise onboard for this cruise, (Parrot-Heads), and they did pretty
much take over the aft pool area and that was one reason there was so much
activity back there early and late and they were also probably dressed

down
a bit as well. We just ignored them and did our own thing and let them

have
their fun. G
Jim

"Judy" wrote in message

Linda wrote:
Has anyone been on this ship???
How is the southern carib weather in Jan-hot

Hubby and I just returned from the March 20 sailing to Belize,
Costa Rica and Panama. The ship was magnificent, well laid out,
and just a real treat. We had a balcony stateroom on Panorama
Deck (Deck 8) and it was huge. Only problem was that we were directly
under the pool area and the deck stewards were dragging deck chairs out
early every morning and putting them back late every night and they
were quite noisy about it.

The food was probably the best we have ever had on a cruise, definitely
better than Princess, and just as good as, if not better than
Celebrity. The dining room service, however, left much to be desired.
There is NO fresh ground pepper available under any circumstance. They
do not leave a basket of bread on each table any more. The assistant
waiter comes around and lets you have ONE piece of bread at a time.
Red wine is served in white wine glasses. The proper silverware is not
placed on the table. It's just a joke compared to what it used to be.

Don't bother to take a tuxedo or suit or evening gown for Formal Night.
That's a joke, too. We had main seating, and hubby wore a tux along
with TWO other gentlemen. There were more men with pull-over polo
shirts than there were with tuxes. Women (ladies?) wore whatever struck
their fancy. The predominant female footwear for formal night was FLIP
FLOPS!!!!!

Don't get me wrong - we really had fun and enjoyed the cruise, but were
just put off a little by what transpired in the dining room.

Old April 4th, 2004, 04:58 AM
RTCReferee

I'm still OKing Norwegian Dawn. Come out for her. Why only Carnival?

--Tom

You've already OK'd the Norwegian Dawn. I want to know about the Carnival
Legend from your educated point of view. You made some comments about the
Grand-class Princess ship(s) with which I am in complete agreement, especially
about the smokiness, the HVAC not evacuating the air correctly or something
like that.

You pointed out some other valuable things that I don't remember just now. I
just know I'd like to have your opinion.
Old April 4th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Hai Pham

13 of us were on it last June. It was 8 days cruise from NY. It was a very
nice ship, we really like the shower with temperature control and the shower
head with adjustable height. The buffet food was very good, international
food, Chinese food was very good. Coffee was below the average and we don't
like to drink coffee with plastic cup.
The food in restaurant was very good, we are still talking about the desert,
a lot of them were super and we never had them before. We did not like the
head of restaurant, never came to the table to talk and never greet us
before dinner except the last night to collect the tips. We did not want to
give him anything but one of our friend already did for the whole table. I
wrote the complaint but no response from Carnival, I believe they don't
care. The waiters were excellent but the helper made many mistakes but we
had a good times so no complaint except my mother in-law about the helper
(he dropped the knife to her laps). 3 things to complaint:
1.The trip from NY down to the port took so much time, well we did not have
fly so we should not complaint.
2 San Juan was not much to see, we rather to spend more time at the other
two ports.
3. Tour from Carnival were more expensive than do it yourself. Skyline in ST
Thomas, they recommended but not much too see, it was not worth the money.

Hai
"Howie" wrote in message
Linda wrote:
Has anyone been on this ship???

Yes, four cruises out of Lauderdale. One of the best ships on which I
have ever (44 cruises) cruised.

How is the southern carib weather in Jan-hot

Perfect!

Howie

Old April 4th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Tom & Linda

"RTCReferee" wrote in message

You've already OK'd the Norwegian Dawn. I want to know about the Carnival
Legend from your educated point of view. You made some comments about the
Grand-class Princess ship(s) with which I am in complete agreement,

especially
about the smokiness, the HVAC not evacuating the air correctly or

something
like that.

You pointed out some other valuable things that I don't remember just now.

just know I'd like to have your opinion.

Might not be able to help you this time. I just don't see me going on
Carnival again. All the other cruise lines would have to go out of business
first. And even then I probably wouldn't go.

I guess what I'm saying... my opinion is don't bother with Carnival. Unless
you think that Carnival would be a good fit for you. There are many people
who love Carnival. But it's just not a good fit for me.

Even if they want to tell me that the food on the Spirit class ships is
better than on the other ships... there just isn't much about the Carnival
experience that appeals to me. I hate the announcements, and they've got a
lot of announcements. I hate loud, obnoxious cruise directors - I couldn't
stand John Heald. I don't care for entertainment on any ship - so the
concept of Carnival having the best entertainment does absolutely nothing
for me. I hate pool games. I hate sitting around a pool sunning. I hate
dirty ships. I hate crowded ships (like Destiny). I hate poor service (our
cabin steward on Destiny was so lazy that he gave our daughter the key to
lower the upper bed rather than do it himself - it worked electrically). I
hated the ugly interiors. I don't care for people wearing "Suck This"
T-shirts. And I though the food was the worst of my 30 or so cruises (so
maybe Spirit class food is better). That was my take-away from the Destiny.

The whole concept of Carnival just doesn't appeal to me. Based on what I
like. That's my opinion.

--Tom

Old April 4th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Benjamin Smith

Gordon wrote:

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...

Linda wrote:

Has anyone been on this ship???

I visited it. Lots of urns. Repetitious and monotonous color schemes in
most public rooms, low ceilings. Very unattractive and boring decor,
IMO. Russian room wasn't boring but overdone, like most of the ship,
IMO. I think earlier Spirit and Pride are easier on the senses.

Even though the food is praised as being the best in the mass market
industry and some have said competitive with some luxury brands I found
the lunch served onboard during the visit to be middling in quality. I
think, however, with the praise the Spirit class has received you should
expect exceptional food, expectations should be high.

If you like new ships this one has most of what the others have in terms
of variety of public areas, full and modern gym facilities, huge 3 deck
high tech theater, loads of balconies, a supper club/specialty
restaurant, a chapel, and loads of other stuff. It is a ship designed
for the majority tastes of the current mainstream cruiser, although with
questionable and somewhat controversial decor.

Ben S.

Ben, while I respect your opinion, you have not cruised on a Carnival ship
and there is no way that you can gain any type of conclusion of what this
ship would be like to sail on with just an afternoon tour. The ones of us
that have actually spent more than three or four hours have all given this
ship high marks for what we experienced after being on board for a full
week.

Fair point. I never said I could tell what it is like to cruise on. I
considered a 2 day trip on her when she was introduced in to NYC. I'm
glad I didn't after visiting her. My wife wanted nothing to do with
sailing onboard this ship.

As for the decor, I happen to like it, Carnival is not like all of the
other cookie cutter cruise lines which include Princess and Celebrity where
all ships look almost exactly the same. That is why many of us like
Carnival. They are different. It is just some people cannot understand this
and for that reason they feel the need to make a big deal about it over and
over.

Have you seen Celebrity's Century class? They aren't cookie cutter in
the least bit and they are more different within than Carnival's ships
are.Unfortunately, the Millennium class is cookie cutter and boring.
Carnival decor isn't just different, IMO. It is, in the opinions of a
significant amount of people, tacky and tasteless. Everytime I show
people pictures of the Legend they are in disbelief. It's over-the-top,
heavy-handed, busy, clashing, for some of us, and some of it on the
newer ships that pay homage to Renaissance, Gothic periods and art is in
poor taste, IMO.

To the original poster, I give you a link to check out the decor for
yourself and see if this is something that would interest you.
http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/galleryships.htm

I just mentioned it because I think when dealing with Carnival the decor
is worth mentioning. It's not that much worth mentioning with other lines.

Ben S.

Gordon

Old April 4th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Linsifer

Default Carnival LEgend--Tom K.

Tom, I have a question. When you're typing all your complaints about Carnival,
is your face beet red and do you feel like you just want to EXPLODE???!!!
That's the visual I get when I picture you hammering away at the keyboard yet
AGAIN about your unsatisfactory cruise on Carnival Destiny.

~Lindsay --------------- who remembers well the pool games and sunning by the
pool on both of my Princess cruises. I also saw some ecclectic t-shirts on
Princess, as well as less-than-perfect food served.