What Are The Chances Of....

Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
Joey Jolley

Default What Are The Chances Of....

What are the chances of eco-tourism becoming dominant and taking over
the tourism industry?

Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:42 PM

In article ,
Joey Jolley wrote:
What are the chances of eco-tourism becoming dominant and taking over
the tourism industry?

What is eco-tourism?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:42 PM
PeterL

C wrote:
In article ,
Joey Jolley wrote:
What are the chances of eco-tourism becoming dominant and taking over
the tourism industry?

What is eco-tourism?

Tourists stay home so as not to damage the environment.

Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:38 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

What are the chances of eco-tourism becoming dominant and
taking over the tourism industry?

Hopefully nil -- considering the size of the tourism industry, how many
of the rare or sensitive ecosystems that people go to see could survive
such a stampede?

Of course, this scenario is pretty much inconceivable, implying as it
does that people would lose interest in all the other forms of tourism,
of which there are many, a lot of them inherently centered on the works
of man. But let's do some finite-napkin modeling of how many people
we're talking about.

According to the UN's International Tourism Organization, some 700
million people a year engage in international tourism. Domestic
tourism is much harder to get a handle on but plainly huge -- according
to Wikipedia, that agency defines tourism as a pleasure trip of at
least 80 km (50 miles) from home, and that's something people do right
and left in any country where they have much mobility and disposable
income and are unfettered by internal movement restrictions. So how
does ecotourism compare? Well, first you have to define the term and
then decide what-all qualifies, and these are matters of considerable
argument; and then you have to gather the statistics.* But it's
doubtless some tiny fraction of all that -- the Wiki tribe seems to
think (with many caveats about how hard it is to get good numbers in
this regard) that the ecotourism ranks might include 5 million
Americans and a comparable but lesser number of others -- and it isn't
clear to me whether they mean per year or in toto.

I hope ecotourism continues to succeed, and does so with high
educational goals and a low ecological footprint. However, I can't
imagine that too many people are genuinely hung up between that and
going through the Louvre, getting hypothermia by dressing for their
idea of "summer" at Fishermans Wharf, seeing the Taj Mahal, drinking
rum punch on the beach, and whatever else tourists do. Tourism is
hugely diverse as well as just plain huge and there is room enough for
any good thing (not to mention any number of bad things).

Now if you care to imagine the applicable eco-tourism principles
gaining acceptance in other tourist activities, and in the design and
operation of tourist facilities... hmm, now there's a thought...

Cheers,
--Joe

* My favorite cautionary motif in these matters comes from Sir Josiah
Stamp, who was among other things H.M. Collector of Inland Revenue in
the late 1800s. Observed he, as quoted by a number of sources: "The
government is extremely fond of amassing great quantities of
statistics. These are raised to the nth degree, the cube roots are
extracted, and the results are arranged into elaborate and impressive
displays. What must be kept ever in mind, however, is that in every
case, the figures are first put down by a village watchman, and he puts
down anything he damn well pleases. "

Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:56 AM
Maxx.

"Joey Jolley" wrote in message
What are the chances of eco-tourism becoming dominant and taking over
the tourism industry?

Is it that time of the month again?

Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:56 AM
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"Joey Jolley" wrote:

What are the chances of eco-tourism becoming dominant and taking over
the tourism industry?

Probably about the same odds of space ship travel becoming popular by
the end of this decade. I guess anything is possible though.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:19 AM
Karl

Maxx. wrote:

"Joey Jolley" wrote in message
What are the chances of eco-tourism becoming dominant and taking over
the tourism industry?

Is it that time of the month again?

Yeah, strap on some Pampers and stop dribbling all over the floor.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:11 AM
Icono Clast

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
getting hypothermia by dressing for their idea of "summer" at
Fishermans Wharf

In the weather section of the Don't miss sights in San Francisco page
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html at the site at
Right in the sig, one can find the Following:

San Francisco has about nine CLIMATEs.
Seacliff, where idle rich live, has the worst; Dogpatch, where the
working poor live, has the best. We NEVER go out without carrying a
sweater or jacket and you shouldn't. Those you see covered in goose
pimples shivering in their shorts are those at whom we laugh not for
their misery but their arrogance rejecting the advice we know they,
and you, received.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net