Golf in Bermuda

Old May 29th, 2009, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Default Golf in Bermuda

How difficult and/or expensive would it be for me to get my grandson
(age 15) a chance to play golf in Bermuda from a cruise ship? Is it
even possible?

I think he would like company too, but I don't play, and neither does
my husband. What chance would there be of finding a compatible
companion of about his age, or at least younger than I. He now plays
with his mom and/or dad on a fairly regular basis.

Old May 29th, 2009, 01:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

How difficult and/or expensive would it be for me to get my grandson
(age 15) a chance to play golf in Bermuda from a cruise ship? Is it
even possible?

I think he would like company too, but I don't play, and neither does
my husband. What chance would there be of finding a compatible
companion of about his age, or at least younger than I. He now plays
with his mom and/or dad on a fairly regular basis.

Certainly it is possible to play golf from a cruise ship in Bermuda or
other ports. Tom K does it every time he cruises to Bermuda. As far as
finding someone to play with some cruise lines have golf programs. Or
they did. Celebrity had a golf pro onboard their Bermuda sailing that
organized groups to play at different courses.

--
Charles
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

How difficult and/or expensive would it be for me to get my grandson
(age 15) a chance to play golf in Bermuda from a cruise ship? Is it
even possible?

I checked on the Celebrity web site and they offer a golf excursion to
Belmont Hills Golf Club for $150. If he does not take his own clubs he
would have to rent those for $45. You can check the web sites of other
cruise lines calling on Bermuda for similar excursions.

--
Charles
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

How difficult and/or expensive would it be for me to get my grandson
(age 15) a chance to play golf in Bermuda from a cruise ship? Is it
even possible?

I think he would like company too, but I don't play, and neither does
my husband. What chance would there be of finding a compatible
companion of about his age, or at least younger than I. He now plays
with his mom and/or dad on a fairly regular basis.

Golf in Bermuda is expensive (typically $150 to $250 and up), but then it's
Bermuda and it's on the Atlantic Ocean. Some courses are marvelous, while
others are just so-so. So given the price, it's more desirable to play at a
better course than a so-so course. Of the courses there, Port Royal and
Riddel's Bay have holes right on the ocean. So do Mid Ocean Club and
Tucker's Point, but they're private country clubs with very limited public
access. Plus they're on the St. Georges end of the island. I don't think
Belmont has holes on the ocean.

On the other hand, how good is your grandson? If he can shoot mid 80's to
mid 90's (or better) then I'd suggest Port Royal (best bang for your buck).
Last time I played it was in the $150 range, though that was 2 years ago so
it could be more now). It's a far better course than the one Charles
mentioned (Belmont) from the Celebrity webpage. But if he typically shoots
over 100, then Port Royal will be too challenging, and he'd probably slow
down the people he's playing with. Then he should probably stick with
Riddel's Bay or Belmont.

All courses in Bermuda require you to ride a cart, so he'd have to be paired
with someone old enough to drive a cart when he does go out. Courses
typically only let foursomes out, so he'd have to play with 3 others anyway.
But he could go by himself and the course will pair him up. You don't need
to go with someone else (meaning you don't need to find him a companion -
the course will do that).

You can get a tee time at Port Royal (get the phone number from the
webpage). Not sure about the others. Make sure you let them know his age
though, so they can pair him up with someone who can drive.

--Tom

Old May 29th, 2009, 05:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Tom K" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Could I go and drive?

Thank you for the explanation. I will have to find out how good he
is. I was and am so horrible at ball games of all kinds, that I
didn't introduce my kids to many ball games. This child's mother has
taken up golf, and I think she thinks I should have given her the
opportunity earlier. OTOH she's also taken up skiing which it never
would have occurred to me to do in a million years. The kids all
swam, they had horses, they did gymnastics, figure skating, ballet,
scouts and music. They tried sailing and I think tennis (not sure
about that). I don't know that they would have had time to do golf.

Old May 29th, 2009, 06:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

Could I go and drive?

Thank you for the explanation. I will have to find out how good he
is.

You would have to call the course and ask if you can drive. More than
likely they'd want to send out a group of 4 paying golfers. To send a
person out who's not playing... well they most likely wouldn't allow 5
people to go out since that would necessitate a 3rd cart... and to let you
be one of the 4 , but one who's not playing and not paying, that's losing
money for them. If it's not busy they might consider it, but if it's busy
that day, they might not allow it. Hard question to answer unless you knew
the specifics for the day as to how crowded it would be.

--Tom

Old May 29th, 2009, 07:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RicodJour

On May 28, 11:46*pm, "Tom K" wrote:

All courses in Bermuda require you to ride a cart, so he'd have to be paired
with someone old enough to drive a cart when he does go out.

Not being a golfer, that surprised me a bit. The top speed is slow,
and the center of gravity is low - I didn't think it would be more
than "if you're shorter than this line, you can't drive a cart." I'm
sure it won't be an issue with the OP's grandson as he'll be playing
with others, but I'm curious. Is it a standard thing that the driver
has to have a driver's license?

Old May 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On May 28, 11:46 pm, "Tom K" wrote:

All courses in Bermuda require you to ride a cart, so he'd have to be
paired
with someone old enough to drive a cart when he does go out.

Not being a golfer, that surprised me a bit. The top speed is slow,
and the center of gravity is low - I didn't think it would be more
than "if you're shorter than this line, you can't drive a cart." I'm
sure it won't be an issue with the OP's grandson as he'll be playing
with others, but I'm curious. Is it a standard thing that the driver
has to have a driver's license?

Not driver's license in all places. Sometimes a certain age is a
requirement.

The top speed isn't "that slow". They move rather quickly, which can be a
problem on hilly terrain and while making quick turns.

--Tom