Air France lost luggage - what to do?

Old January 9th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Malcom Davis

Default Air France lost luggage - what to do?

Flying direct from Paris to Boston last weekend, Air France
lost our luggage. We filed a claim with the luggage desk
when it didn't show. Judging by the people doing the same, a
lot of luggage was lost on this flight. We were given a
tracking number. Since then we have been getting the
runaround. Entering the tracking number into their web
tracking system reveals absolutely nothing "tracing
continues, please try again later."

The airline claimed that the luggage was sent on Monday's
flight and would be delivered that evening. Monday came and
went. Many calls to the AF luggage line 1-800-873-BAGS, but
no help. On Tuesday they promised it would be delivered
via a courier, but refused to say what the courier's phone #
is. Lady on the AF luggage line almost yelled, saying that
they had a lot of bags to deliver, etc etc. why are you
asking about yours?

On Wednesday, a rep on the AF lost luggage line did give a
number for the local courier they use. Calling the courier,
they said that they had a manifest with our luggage and it
would be delivered Wed evening, possibly as late as
midnight. Wednesday night came and went.

Now the courier says that apparently they never did have
this luggage. The spent Thursday searching for it, but are
certain they don't have it, and apparently never did. Air
France rep insists that they had it in Boston and gave it to
the courier, but isn't very convincing. We're getting the
runaround, but it's clear we don't have our luggage.

What to do? Is there anything we can do to escalate this at
Air France? Even if the courier did
have the luggage (probably not) we did business with AF and
want them to fix this. Unfortunately our only contact there
is at their lost luggage line which goes to a Florida
office, and apparently they can't do anything for us to
return our personal effects. Does anyone have any tips or
handling this situation? Help!

Old January 9th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Steve

"Malcom Davis" wrote in message
Flying direct from Paris to Boston last weekend, Air France
lost our luggage. We filed a claim with the luggage desk
when it didn't show. Judging by the people doing the same, a
lot of luggage was lost on this flight. We were given a
tracking number. Since then we have been getting the
runaround. Entering the tracking number into their web
tracking system reveals absolutely nothing "tracing
continues, please try again later."

Do you have travel insurance? If so, file a claim with your travel
insurance carrier -- or at least contact them immediately.

If not, you are likely SOL, if your bag does not show, as there is limited
liability in regards to luggage on Intl Journeys to/from the USA.

As it has not been delivered yet, you need to find out what the process is
to file a claim with Air France to be paid for your loss with what you are
covered for by AF. They may have a rule requiring that you can not file the
claim until X # of days without your luggage giving them time to locate it
and deliver it. However, at this point, I would strongly suggest you get
the details to file this claim.

When you do file the claim with Air France, your luggage is only valued
based on the weight -- something like $9 per lb (or is it kilo?) with a max
of $400, IIRC. As such, you need to find out the specifics in regards to
what their liability is. It won't be much, unless you purchased additional
coverage or have travel insurance.

Afterwards, anything that is unpaid you might be able to submit to your
homeowners (or renters) policy -- but I'd be careful in doing so, depending
on your claim history and the amount you would receive after your
deductable.

I somehow suspect you do not have travel insurance as you are asking this
question (but could be wrong). While this won't help now, in the future, I
would suggest purchasing a good travel insurance policy to cover you in full
for such a loss. These policies are generally inexpensive (I like a company
called Travel Guard) depending upon who you purchase from. The policies
they sell are quite comprehensive and cover other things such as travel
delays, baggage loss, baggage delay, and even medical. I like the Protect
Assist plan they offer (and yes, I've had to file a claim for medical
expensives overseas and a travel delay overseas where I incurred expenses
out of pocket, which they paid -- so I can recommend them first hand).

I'd say it's still possible your luggage might show up, but you do need to
look at the worst case scenario of filing a claim at this point. Be sure
to document your phone calls to both AF and the courier company and know who
you spoke with, when, and what they said, in case you need to use this
information at a future point.

I wish you the best of luck. Lost luggage sucks, but most of the time,
fortunately it does show up. I dealt with lost luggage earlier this week
(flew Sunday and Monday) but my luggage did not arrive with me on Monday on
NW. I received my luggage late Monday night (this was in part because of a
flight cancellation Sunday night and my flight on Monday was weight
restricted). In Dec, I lost my luggage for close to 3 days with NW/CO, but
this too was due to a cancellation (weather) as I got a re-route from NW on
CO and my luggage came in once the snowstorm ended in NYC.

Last but not least, you can also file a complaint with the FAA, but that
would be for statistic purposes only, more or less. I would strongly
suggest it. FWIW, of the air carriers that report luggage mishaps, Air
France is the 2nd worse of European carriers at lost/delayed luggage. The
worst is LuxAir, while right behind Air France at #3 worst is KLM. I've
had KLM lose my luggage likewise, but luckily it's always been delivered
within 48 hrs. No Air France experiences.

Best of Luck,

Steve

Old January 9th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Olivers

Malcom Davis muttered....

Does anyone have any tips or
handling this situation? Help!

There are only two potential rememdies....

A. Purchase a large economy size tube of KY.

or

B. "Lay (sic) back and lubricate."

I'm afraid that you have entered the Twilight Zone in which AF and the
courier company will now go through an extended period of mutual
recrimination, the "Blame Game", and eventually you'll recover a pittance
for both luggage and the valuable and fashionable clothing and accessories
with which you dazzled gay Paree.

"Buggered about" hardly describes the process into which you now have
slipped....

TMO
Old January 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Renal

"Steve" wrote in message news:NpuLb.4650$sv6.17042@attbi_s52...
"Malcom Davis" wrote in message
No Air France experiences.

Best of Luck,

Steve

Had an AF experience.
Was supposed to fly STL(UA)-ORD-CDG-BOM(AF)
AF cancelled ORD-CDG, the aircraft never arrived. Long story short,
Was put on AA to CDG (flt. delayed) missed CDG-BOM, so AF put me on
CDG-DXB (VN) and DXB-BOM(CX).

I sincerly did not expect my baggage to come in with me. UA-AA-VN-CX
(supposed to be AF). But what ****ed me off none of them were willing
to be honest enough on all the sectors. And no body claimed
responsibility.

AF was the worst of them all.

Thanks,

Renal