Wheeled Backpack?

Old February 16th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Javaman

Default Wheeled Backpack?

I'm interested in buying a wheeled backpack, one that meets carry-on
requirements (22").
I'm especially interested in those that have a detachable daypack.
I've looked at several (especially at ebags.com, and also
baggageforless.com) and
am seriously interested in a High Sierra AT-205.

Does anybody have any experience with this type of bag? Pros? Cons? Are they
too heavy to realistically carry on your back when loaded? I already use a
backpack
from Rick Steves, but am looking wheeled convenience some times.

Any suggestions (for specific makes/models or websites) and opinions are
appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Old February 16th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Jim Davis Sr.

"Javaman" wrote in message

Check out;

http://www.worldtraveler.com

They have a section with Backpacks. I don't use them, but I have a medium
size case - Ricardo, Beverly Hills from them. Surprisingly inexpensive, and
really rugged.

Old February 16th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Ra

Javaman wrote:
I'm interested in buying a wheeled backpack, one that meets carry-on
requirements (22").
I'm especially interested in those that have a detachable daypack.
I've looked at several (especially at ebags.com, and also
baggageforless.com) and
am seriously interested in a High Sierra AT-205.

Does anybody have any experience with this type of bag? Pros? Cons? Are they
too heavy to realistically carry on your back when loaded? I already use a
backpack
from Rick Steves, but am looking wheeled convenience some times.

Any suggestions (for specific makes/models or websites) and opinions are
appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

I use the 22" 360 E-Motion by Victorinox. They are kind of pricy but I
got mine for as a last years model with a coupon for about $150 at:

http://www.irvs.com/catreslt.php?CatNo=15

If you do some web searches you may be able to find a coupon.

I like this bag. It's well made and access is well though out. On my
back it feels like my Gregory backback. It's curved so that it will fit
in the some of the smaller overheads if you put in upside down and top
first which really helps. The only problem I've had is Austrian Air in
Vienna would not allow me to carry it on because it 1 kilo over the
weight limit (yes, they weighed it). The only complaint I have is that
the rounded top limits it's capacity a little.

Old February 17th, 2004, 07:11 AM
randee

This was discussed in detail about a year ago; I think the general
conclusion is that if you are in the US you can't go wrong with luggage
from either of the three major players: Hartmann, Andiamo, or Tumi. As
far as I can tell a wheeled 'backpack' does neither job well.

Old March 16th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Joe Prinz

Check this out!

Columbia Windpass Wheeled Backpack
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Its an amazing deal. $70.00 for a wheeled backack.. I have looked
alot, and to find one like this with a BELT is hard pressed for
under$200.00.

My GF and I ordered one for each of us for a trip to Italy. We just
got them yesterday.. here is my review WITHOUT using them:

1. They seem to have really good quality... stitching etc..
2. The are carryonable without the external day pack..
3. The external day pack sips completely to main pack and becomes as
one with it.
4. Its heavy.. I weighed it with the day pack at 10 lbs and the day
pack is barely one lb if that.
5. The day pack is quite large and has a nice expansion zipper.
6. The day pack does not have a belt, but one would be easy to add.
7. Did I mention its heavy?
8. Wheels are roller blade type.. on bearigns I believe..
9. Built almost too well.. did I mention heavy?
10. The handle extends to a nice length.. if you are tall I think you
coudl pull it nicely.
11. Cheap.
12. you can't get much bigger and still carryon.. its only .5"
smaller than most airlines maximum.
13. The top is not as curved as most... but the picture shows it more
square than it really is.. I was a bit let down with that part...

I think the following.. if you are in great health, have no back
problems, and you are very fit.. get a backpack. If you have a weak
back, or any ailments,.. and frankly, if you are not a REALLY fit
woman.. I suggest a wheeled backpack WITH a belt.. WITH a belt.. the
weight should be mostly on your HIPS!!!!!

Reason: you can switch between wheeled and backpack and you will feel
much better.. its long extended strains on certain parts of the body
that make me feel uncomfortable? How about you? I think this is true
for many.

I look forward to many years of travel with this bag.. it looks like
its built really well.. buy em before they are all gone.. they are
usually over $130 on SALE..

Joe

Old March 16th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Tim Kroesen

Just purchased a 'Concourse' wheeled backpack last week for $24 on sale
at Super-K; 19.5"; many pockets and compartments, good sturdy
telescoping handle and carry handle; and good but not excellent wheels,
no waste band support though... I read another post where someone
mentioned similar gear that they *wheeled* 95% of the time in normal
use; the straps themselves seem OK for 5% usage without the belt; or so
I will hope...g I also purchased for less than a Fiver a very strong
fine mesh 'laundry bag' that the entire pack will fit into; as also
suggested here once bagged into luggage check nothing to catch on the
machinery; a fine tote sack for the road also.

Best part of the deal... a *second* 17" nearly identical rolling
backpack as part of the Two-Piece deal price!

Tim K

om...

Old March 16th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Tim Kroesen" wrote in message
ink.net...
Just purchased a 'Concourse' wheeled backpack last week for $24 on sale
at Super-K; 19.5"; many pockets and compartments, good sturdy
telescoping handle and carry handle; and good but not excellent wheels,
no waste band support though... I read another post where someone
mentioned similar gear that they *wheeled* 95% of the time in normal
use; the straps themselves seem OK for 5% usage without the belt; or so
I will hope...g I also purchased for less than a Fiver a very strong
fine mesh 'laundry bag' that the entire pack will fit into; as also
suggested here once bagged into luggage check nothing to catch on the
machinery; a fine tote sack for the road also.

Best part of the deal... a *second* 17" nearly identical rolling
backpack as part of the Two-Piece deal price!

Once a Finnish chap was carrying his outdoor gear in a wheelbarrow on his
way northbound along the highway four to the Norwegian border. He said that
heavy loads can be pushed forward easily. Naturally by this method one
cannot expect much off road travelling. Perhaps in hill countries the
benefits are less obvious.

Old March 16th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Tim Kroesen

....could that have been your mountain cousin, 'Jethro'
Grönroos...?...g

Sounds like it could have been Red Green or Mr. Bean too! At least
we're pretty sure it wasn't another 'tourist' sighting...G

Tim K

Old March 18th, 2004, 02:35 AM
billfrogg

In article , Magda
wrote:

On 16 Mar 2004 12:13:40 -0800, in rec.travel.europe, (Joe
Prinz) arranged
some electrons, so they looked like this :

... Check this out!
... Columbia Windpass Wheeled Backpack
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...productId=8051
849&memberId=12500226
... Its an amazing deal. $70.00 for a wheeled backack.. I have looked
... alot, and to find one like this with a BELT is hard pressed for
... under$200.00.

They weigh an amazing 11 lb as well. NO WAY.

OP:
This amazing light bargain on wheels will probably fall apart and die
right in the aisle of the plane when we are all behind you trying to
get to our seats. Been there before. billfrogg