"Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe"

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Tim Kroesen

Default "Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe"

....but can you dare to learn from actual experience...?

Tim K

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Tim Kroesen wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" wrote:
It's just that most of these episodes happen during wet dreams.

Someone who knows nothing of firearms personally yet chooses to

comment
negatively on them is the one dreaming about reality... Wake up

Miguel;
get some firsthand knowledge if you want to impress anyone with your
stilted opinion. A gun is a device without intrinsic 'evil'

attached.
Even your own 'wet dream' fantasies about guns are correctable with
practical knowledge. Any gun owner is likely to prove this point to
you; therefore you do what to educate yourself and refine your
opinion...?

Have you ever run a country? And yet you have political opinions.

I can read. I can listen. I can observe.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world:

http://travel.u.nu

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Tim Kroesen wrote:

The best way to insure someone in your house is injured is to have
stairs, electricity, a stove, a garage door, an automobile, a bicycle,
etc... Your point proves nothing. Responsible gun owners are *safer*
from injury than responsible power mower owners according to blank
stats...

Refresh my memory please. I don't recall ever hearing about anyone ever
being attacked with a lawnmower.

Lawnmower's injure around 74,000 people in the US every year, some
25% of those injuries result in amputations of fingers. The KE of a rotary
lawnmower blade is approx the same as the bullet from a .38 calibre
revolver.

Keith

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Bill Moore

In article ,
Dave Smith wrote:
Tim Kroesen wrote:

The best way to insure someone in your house is injured is to have
stairs, electricity, a stove, a garage door, an automobile, a bicycle,
etc... Your point proves nothing. Responsible gun owners are *safer*
from injury than responsible power mower owners according to blank
stats...

Refresh my memory please. I don't recall ever hearing about anyone ever
being attacked with a lawnmower.

Quite frankly, I have a low opinion of those who uses stats in an
attempt to support their blind paranoia...g

Damn. Don't you hate it when people confuse your opinion with facts.

It's pretty easy to lie or distort using statistics...

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Tim Kroesen

Firearms are mainly purchased to hunt and target shoot... as an
unintended side effect... Hey, that logic seems to work for you...g

A *gun cognizant* family is very safe IMO. Just like a 'street
crossing cognizant' child is much safer in their environment. But of
course the 'accident' stats mainly reflect the idiots like Earl's father
who left a .45 next to ammo in the attic for the kids to find *WITHOUT
INSTRUCTING THEM AS TO PROPER HANDLING*....

Would a knowledgeable child have loaded the gun just to screw round
like Earl did; likely NOT because they were taught proper firearms
safety BEFORE the encounter. Perhaps someone ought to instruct you
considering your childlike firearms notions... Did I not already
volunteer...?...g Let us recognize that in dealing with potentially
dangerous items *ignorance* serves no one; including you.

Tim Kroesen wrote:
The best way to insure someone in your house is injured is to have
stairs, electricity, a stove, a garage door, an automobile, a

bicycle,
etc... Your point proves nothing. Responsible gun owners are

*safer*
from injury than responsible power mower owners according to blank
stats...

That's silly. Power mowers are purchased to cut lawns, and as a side

effect
cause some hazards. Firearms are ostensibly purchased to increase

safety,
but in fact decrease it. Big difference there.

Quite frankly, I have a low opinion of those who uses stats in an
attempt to support their blind paranoia...g

Well, you go on having your low opinion of people who resort to facts,

and
I'll go on with my low opinion of people who endanger their families.

miguel

Old March 25th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Dave Smith

Keith Willshaw wrote:

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Tim Kroesen wrote:

The best way to insure someone in your house is injured is to have
stairs, electricity, a stove, a garage door, an automobile, a bicycle,
etc... Your point proves nothing. Responsible gun owners are *safer*
from injury than responsible power mower owners according to blank
stats...

Refresh my memory please. I don't recall ever hearing about anyone ever
being attacked with a lawnmower.

Lawnmower's injure around 74,000 people in the US every year, some
25% of those injuries result in amputations of fingers. The KE of a rotary
lawnmower blade is approx the same as the bullet from a .38 calibre
revolver.

According to the Shriner's site, 75 killed and 20,000 injured by lawnmowers.
Bear in mind that many of those are minor injuries from objects that have been
struck by the blade and ejected through the discharge chute. Considering the
amount of time Americans spend cutting grasses and the millions and millions of
acres mown dozens of times per season, it compares favourably to the more than
32,000 firearm deaths (4,300 of them children) and more than 50,000 non fatal
injuries.

Old March 25th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Dave Smith

Bill Moore wrote:

The best way to insure someone in your house is injured is to have
stairs, electricity, a stove, a garage door, an automobile, a bicycle,
etc... Your point proves nothing. Responsible gun owners are *safer*
from injury than responsible power mower owners according to blank
stats...

Refresh my memory please. I don't recall ever hearing about anyone ever
being attacked with a lawnmower.

Quite frankly, I have a low opinion of those who uses stats in an
attempt to support their blind paranoia...g

Damn. Don't you hate it when people confuse your opinion with facts.

It's pretty easy to lie or distort using statistics...

I suppose it is a lot easier to lie if you just make up the numbers and
pretend they bear some semblance to reality.

Old March 25th, 2004, 07:27 AM
The Reid

Following up to Anonymouse

as opposed to the UK... where your only rights are those granted by the
crown.

anyone who believes UK is ruled by the crown is a fool.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:29 AM
The Reid

Following up to Tim Kroesen

Not so 'foolish' as the European 'cognizanti' that maintain a Royalty
caste though...

THe King of Spain has done a good job re freedom, as for the UK,
little old ladies and US tourists like them. But beware of
answering criticism of one thing with criticism of another, it
implies weakness.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:49 AM
The Reid

Following up to Anonymouse

in the US system the Citizens have "rights" that we believe (and the
Constitution states) are innate and not granted to use by the
government....

innate rights that cannot be changed, hmmm. Someone mentioned
"God given", so the constitution is a quasi-religious belief?

The problem with religious belief is that it starts off as a set
of moral values with some practicalities tacked on, not eating
pork or whatever, which is fine.....at first.
After a couple of hundred years the basic values are still fine
but the tacked on practicalities start to look silly, at least
they look silly to the rational man. Unfortunatly many cling to
the "word of god" as being unalterable and you are then stuck
with some sillyness.
You see this with the pope and contraception, no contraception
was fine when christianity started, needed more people to
populate the land) now not so good, but can the pope say "things
changed, new rules". No, religion finds it very hard to change
for changed circumstances and is always a few hundred years (in
OBL's case about 500 years) out of date.
I see a parallel in the inalible right to bear arms of the US
constitution.
But surely I remember you *do* have amendments? So its not
inalienable, it can change for changed circumstance? And should
do so in the case of guns.
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Juha Tenhosaari

Anonymouse:
but there are more machine-guns per capita in finland than in the US

I don't know any figures but I do know that 100% of machine guns in Finland
are owned by the defence forces. Excluding the illegal guns, of course.

Juha