What's your biggest pet peeve when cruising?

Old October 1st, 2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser

Default What's your biggest pet peeve when cruising?

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 07:41:25 -0700, number6 wrote:

Hell ... It would ruin my lunch or breakfast or even light snack if I
showed up in speedos ...

It's heavy carrying that floor-to-ceiling mirror with you all the time,
isn't it? Who said egohounds don;t burden themselves? LOL
--
__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:43:40 -0500, Dillon Pyron wrote:

Chair hogs. Kids in adults only areas. Smokers in non smoking areas.
People inappropriately dressed (t-shirts and shorts on formal night).
The waiters wandering around shouting "the more you booze, the better
the cruise". People who complain that they aren't getting their
money's worth while eating a second lobster AND filet.

Lounge chair hogs who keep ten towels on them all day. Kids nearly
anywhere. Smokers on the ship. People who think nudity is nappropriate.
The waiters wandering around shouting anything. People who complain
that they aren't getting their money's worth while eating a second
lobster AND filet and take up 1/2 my seat on the flight while farting.
--
__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:56:07 GMT, Cathy wrote:

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 07:21:23 -0500, "George Leppla"
wrote:

"Cathy" wrote

Okay, this is what I get stuck on. How on Earth can people who wear
casual clothes on formal night detract from the overall expected
experience?

Picture a bouquet of roses. Now picture a bouquet of roses with a plume of
ragweed in it. The ragween detracts from the overall beauty of the roses.

I guess I see the people in casual wear as daisies, rather than
ragweed. Not as glamorous as the roses, a little out of place in the
bouquet, but equally beautiful. Men in Speedos would be the ragweed.

Speedos would be ragweed. Perhaps those who deliberately disregard
rules would be something better than ragweed but less than roses.
perhaps a less obnoxious weed.
Although considering how people dress in general, it might be like
Virginia Creeper.

You seem to think it is an either/or situation.

Don't know what you mean by that...

There seems to be an implication that those who dress down somehow are
decent, pleasant, friendly, sober, etc. people but that those who
dress up are loud, boorish and drunk. Some are but hardly a majority.
And those who dress down are hardly all the kind who, by their actions
and demeanor, improve the ambiance.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
clint

My cow has a bikini and I said if she ever wore it on a criuse, I'd flip the
bovine over the raiking!

Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Not sure how you inferred that from what I actually said. My point was
that a person's character is far more important than his clothing, and
I would rather have dinner with casually-dressed person of substance
than a well-dressed asshole. A dressed-up asshole is still an asshole.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 9/30/2007 10:27 PM Cathy consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:32:59 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article , Cathy
wrote:

I can see how most of these things could be very irritating. However,
I still don't understand why someone else's clothing choice would have
an impact on your cruise experience. Why do you care what anyone else
wears?

There is a tradition of dressing up a couple of nights a week on
cruises that goes back a long time. The dining rooms themselves are
elegant. It used to be that if you did not wear the requested attire
for the evening you would not be admitted to the dining room. That is
what those who have cruised for many years are used too. In the last
few years as cruising has become more popular and a larger number of
people have taken cruises the adherence to the requested dress has
broken down a little, and the cruise lines have stopped being strict in
enforcing the dress for the evening. That said the vast majority do
dress up on formal evenings as requested. And on many ships t-shirts
and shorts will still not be admitted at dinner, any dinner, not just
the formal evenings.

Unless you're talking about men in Speedos...

Well if shorts are okay then why not Speedos?

The difference is fairly obvious...

Anyway, I'm not questioning the tradition of dressing up. I'm sure
it's a lovely experience, and I look forward to doing it. What I don't
understand is why you people care enough about what other people are
wearing to consider it one of your biggest pet peeves. I can't imagine
even noticing what other people are wearing, much less being bothered
by it.

Maybe sitting with slobs will make me look that much better!

C.

Call me politically incorrect. If he's built, has a nice face and a well
formed package, I say strut those speedos. If people mistake him for
Shamoo and try to roll him back into the sea -- there isn't enough
volume of cloth to cover him up.

This goes for women in bikinis and thongs. If what you got to show
ain't worth lookin' at, then don't show it

I have an idea. As an alternative to a formal night, how about a beach
wear night. Then the speedo worthy and bikini/thong worthy can strut
their stuff providing eye candy for the rest of us. ;-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/1/2007 8:46 AM Cathy consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:20:48 -0400, Lee wrote:

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 02:27:39 GMT, Cathy wrote:

wearing to consider it one of your biggest pet peeves. I can't imagine
even noticing what other people are wearing, much less being bothered
by it.

You just told us you would notice men in speedos.

How can you NOT notice men in Speedos at a formal dinner? They mght as
well be naked. I would find it laughable if guys showed up in Speedos
for formal night, but it wouldn't ruin my evening or make my list of
pet peeves.

On a gay cruise they might even be seated in a position of honor. Also
it would certainly qualify as Key West Formal. T-Shirt, shorts or swim
wear and sandals, sunglasses are optional.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Daniel R. Bonham

Politically incorrect is not the term to describe that sentiment. "Shallow"
better describes it.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/1/2007 5:08 PM Nonnymus consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
Rosalie B. wrote:

Wouldn't it be OK if they were ChipNDale types and wore the collar and
tie? Generally I've observed (I used to swim at Masters meets) that
old men in Speedos (unless they are terribly rotund and have very
hairy backs) are better looking than old ladies in the equivalent swim
suits.

Since my moonlighting job is one of the Chippendale dancers, let me
assure you that the Speedo-type outfits are quite cold and chaff. The
only reason I wear them is so that the dollar bills the ladies tuck
inside don't fall out as they did when I danced in my Oshkosh b'gosh
overalls. When cruising, the overalls are far more comfortable and I
reserve the black pair for formal night.

---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.

Nonny

If you're shaking your booty and going through the choreographed moves,
how could you be cold? You can always opt for the black leather thong.
A little talc, or cornstarch usually takes care of any chafing.
Although I knew one dancer who preferred K-Y. ;-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera