Zamgwar's Explorer Cruise- My LAST 2cnts

Old February 24th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Zamgwar

Default Zamgwar's Explorer Cruise- My LAST 2cnts

Hello Sea Dreamers wherever you are,

First the usual intro-skip past the stars if you read it before
To set a base line, we set out with a total of 32 old and a few new friends,
with most relationships going back 25 years. There is no greater joy than
vacationing with friends who know you well enough to tell you your breath
stinks. Rather than being a vacation, it always is more of a seven day party,
that moves around the globe.

It is important to note that due to our schedules we only travel as peak week
touristos, at a time when virtually the entire United States (except for New
Hampshire-go figure) is off from school for February break. This was our third
group cruise together, and my personal forth cruise. It was our first
experience with Royal Caribbean, having sailed NCL and Princess previously.

Depending on when you sail, your mileage may vary.

Because of the enormous size of the ship, it has it strong and weak suits. You
will find my impressions posted separately under the subject heading "Zamgwar's
Explorer". They will pop up here over the next two weeks and will include
impressions of "The Ship", "The Cabins", The Food & Restaurants", "The
Entertainment", "The Kids view", "The little things" and "my last 2cnts". When
I'm done, I will, as always, post the entire review in condensed version on the
standard review sites.
**********************************

Part 6 -(the last) The little things & My last 2cnts.

It's really the little things in life that make or break any experience. Many
relationships have ended because of countless annoying little things that pile
up day after day. I know things get pretty dicey around my house when I leave
my shoes in the middle of the floor.

Conversely, it's the thousands of wonderful little things and attention to
detail that separates a Disney World, from Six Flags Great Adventure amusement
park in NJ.

That is not to say a day at Great Adventure isn't packed with fun. It's just
not packed with eye candy and zillions of little things to discover when you're
not screaming down a 45 degree hill at 65 miles an hour in a roller coaster.

Explorer *IS* without a doubt a big and beautiful ship. Anyone who would say
less is on crack.

But perhaps, at least for me, she is too big a ship, with too many people.
While I absolutely loved her marvelous space, activities and entertainment, I
did dearly miss a lot of "little things".

But before I delve into those, I must point out the little things that were
wonderful.
When I'm on vacation, I always "accent the positive". Heck I save and
anticipate for over 700 hundred days for each cruise I go on. While it is
sometimes hard to "eliminate the negative", if I don't have a good time, it's
my own damned fault for letting things bother me.

The housekeeping staff of the ship, that I had *one on one* contact with were
great. All those who traveled with me felt the same. The Cabin stewards were
terrific and did a great job. Even though the "towel monkey" that ours left
hanging in our room scared the hell out of "she who must be obeyed" and myself
when we returned one night. He got us bathrobes when we requested it. He
brought a plastic champagne bucket to replace the ice bucket to chill our
"adult beverage". He was great.

I even tipped a cabin steward who wasn't *MY* cabin steward. He made me laugh
every day. Early in the morning as I walked to breakfast he could be heard
singing Bob Marley songs as he cleaned. I joined him in a chorus of "Buffalo
soldier". For the week when he saw me coming he would yell out `Ere comes Mista
`Appy!

The Jamaican Bartenders & bar staffs throughout the ship, (especially at the
Skybar) were simply the best I've ever experienced. Martini's were perfectly
chilled and all drinks were consistently good. They were personable, polite,
fast, and very quick to learn your name. In fact they were the only ones on the
ship that I'm certain knew my name.

Of course they had seen it on a zillion bar receipts. Repetition does reinforce
learning.

But there in is the rub, learning your name. It gives a sense of personal
service. It is one of the little things that get lost in the wash of 3500
fellow passengers. For me this was most missed in the dining room.

Though our friends travel as a group, we do not vacation as a group. I like to
think of it as going on 32 separate vacations together. Dinner on a ship is the
only time (save our traditional raucous, drunken sail-away on deck) that we are
together as a whole. For us, on previous cruises, it was the height of each
days cruise experience. A time to recap and enjoy the entertainment of our
company and argue over who has the best table service.

This trip was easy, no one did.

As I have said earlier, the probably cause for this is that the dining room
maybe understaffed, and preparing meals for 1750 people at a sitting may just
be too much for the kitchen. Once again Explorer may just be too big a ship for
me.

Several of my fellow travelers dishes came out cold. My meats were for most
part cooked medium rare, with the one exception of my prime rib. I did send it
back, and what returned was exactly the same. The whole issue of no wine
steward was a major issue, at dinner. Had the wine service been as fast as
liquor service (which was perfect) the average nature of the food would have
been easily overlooked. We had all read the reviews on the ship, and knew what
to expect of the food. We were disappointed by the service. It could have made
all the difference in the world.

I must point out we did (as I stated earlier) speak about the service, and it
did improve slightly, but the wine situation never really worked itself out.
Add a wine steward and make the wine drinkers (who were mostly the womanfolk)
happy.

If the womanfolk are happy, the menfolk are happy, and everyone is happy. Take
that from Mista 'Appy.

The deck chair situation was another one of those little things that was a burr
in the side of not only my group, but many, many people. It could be solved by
more frequent patrols my the "towel police" or as I mentioned earlier, simply
adding more deck chairs on the running track after X'o'clock. This has never
been such an issue on any other ship during February break.

Once again, 3500 people may just be about a thousand more than I want to travel
with.

While the Royal Promenade is indeed a wonderful space, it is entirely an
interior space. I missed the constant views of the sea as I strolled along the
interior of the ship. I missed the way sunlight plays and sparkles on plants,
fittings and furniture through banks of windows on a glorious sea day.

To be at sea on a ship is almost dreamlike. It strikes the primal seafarer
within, that all original non-native North Americans began as. Sort of like
going back to ones roots, only in a markedly nicer boat. I always need to be
reminded I am at sea.

I missed not having a convenient way to eat my lunches outside. I missed
accessible poolside munchies. While there was burgers and hotdogs in steamers
tucked by the ping pong tables, there's nothing like the smell of stuff cooking
to make your nipples hard, and your tastebuds tingle while enjoying a seaday by
the pool.

We did have one other very unfortunate incident which we felt was all "size of
ship and lack of staff" related. While taking our group photo on the
"notoriously rocky" sea day that was to be Grand Cayman, the motion got to be
too much for one of our younger sailors. To use the nautical term, she "puked"
on the stairwell to the Palace Theater. She had been doing this in her
stateroom all day, so I trust me, I've seen worse.

I went to college after all.

Members of our group blocked ends of the stairwell to prevent anyone from
slipping because the "damage" was almost invisible, and the ships photographer
called maintenance. Ten minutes later he called them again. Fifteen minutes
later he called again. Twenty minutes later one of my party called. A total of
twenty five minutes later I went to guest services and told them we were still
waiting and my party was blocking off the stairwell. She called and sternly
asked someone get there in two minutes, I heard her.

At thirty five minutes members of my party went to the restrooms, got paper
towel and water and began cleaning it themselves. I went to guest services and
informed them we were doing this. I did so politely but firmly. I am just not
the "going ballistic" type. The guest services manager picked up the phone and
went ballistic. She used words only a true sailor would use.

By the time I returned forward, swat teams of cleaning staff were descending on
the area from all directions, including the ships head of facilities. If we
were outdoors I would swear they came in by choppers. The facility Director
apologized and said with the seas, the staff was very busy. It was a main
central stairwell on the Royal Promenade. It took 45 minutes to respond. The
guests started the cleaning process. It was an entirely unacceptable situation,
and he agreed.

It was one of those "little things" that can end relationships.

Even in spite of all of these things, all in all I had a great vacation, I
always do. We all did. When you cruise with the group of people we do, it's
impossible not to, unless you the cruise ends up with you sitting in a life
boat singing "nearer my God to thee". It just wasn't the best cruise I ever
been on. Grand Princess still holds the title of being, like Mary Poppins,
practically perfect in every way.
Norway, with her class and charm (and that's with her lack of windowed dining
and activities) is second best, and because my glass is always half full,
Explorer was third best.

Regardless of all the little things or lack of them, nothing beats seven days
at sea
with people whom for the most part first became your friends when big hair and
disco was in style.

Now many of us are in the little hair, and slipped disk category, but the fun
is still the same.

One of the things I always do on a cruise, is during the last day out speak to
as many people as I can and ask them how they enjoyed their week and the ship.
I do this everywhere I go on vacation, not just cruises. It helps me level the
playing field and give a broader opinion for those who may journey behind me. I
always make sure when asking people about their week that they understand to
"put aside" the things that are out of anyone's control. Those being weather,
and missed ports.

Lord knows everyone whines about missed ports. It happens. No port is
guaranteed, it says so on the ticket. I think they started printing that there
after Titanic. I only whine about bad weather, I could always use another day
at sea.

Of our group of 25 adults, there 2 who had cruised more than seven times, 2
that had only one other cruise, 4 first timers and 16 who had gone on at least
three other cruises.

20 gave the ship a 7. As one said so eloquently "It wasn't a ten, but it
certainly wasn't a 5.

All 20 said while they would consider RCCL again, they wouldn't consider it for
2006. 12 of them said if they cruised RCCL again, they would definitely go on
smaller ship with a higher staff to passenger ratio.

Two gave the ship a 4, and two gave the ship a 3 and weren't sure they would
ever consider RCCL again. Interestingly enough those four will venture out in
two weeks on Carnivals Spirit, and promised a review for me.

I spoke to 47 other adults at various chatty venues around the ship on Friday,
mostly at bars. Nothing like a few drinks to get folks chatty.

12 were multi cruisers having been on various lines with a batch of cruises
under their belts. They gave three 9's, three 8's, four 7's and two 6's

14 were primarily RCCL cruisers, they gave one 10 seven 9's, five 8's and one
4. The "4" had taken Navigator last year and immediately booked Explorer for
this year. She said the difference in service and deck chairs was night and
day, and would not cruise Explorer again.

4 Canadians at a corner table near ours in the restaurant were first time
cruises. Three gave the experience a 5, because of a rather large "issue" they
had (I didn't ask) and the forth gave it a 10, and stated "it was the best
vacation he's ever had".

10 were Celebrity or Princess cruisers exclusively, and they handed out three
8's, four 7's and three 6's.

4 more I met at the aquarium bar were first time cruisers, three gave it a 10,
and one gave it a 9, all said they would rebook the ship in a heartbeat.

Three were exclusively Carnival cruisers, and all gave the experience a 9, but
noted dinner was better on Carnival.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a solid 7 for her magnificent beauty,
plentiful activities and wonderful entertainment. Do realize everyone is
different, and there is nothing more subjective than a personal viewpoint.
Depending on your week, your waiters, and if the chef is sober, your experience
could quite possibly be a 10+

Ours was on the Norway in 2000, and if there was ever a ship that had as many 1
ratings as 10 ratings, that was it.

For our group, members have already begun to look into Celebrity's Millie
Class, and Princess' Coral Class for our 2006 spin. Possibly even a Golden
Princess Southern Caribbean run out of Puerto Rico. I wouldn't be surprised if
our group passes 40 in size next time out. There are three more families that
have sworn not to miss another.

For those who stuck this entire review out to the bitter end, thanks for
reading. For those who require such information, we had early debarking (white
tags) and our entire group was at the airport by 8AM (some with bags already
checked at the AA counter at the pier) checked in, through security and
drinking Starbucks overpriced coffee by 8:40.

Debarkation and Embarkation were the easiest we've seen. I was especially
surprised debarking went so well considering the reviews I read. We had no
problem making our much sweated 10:55am.

Smooth seas, friendly skies and happy sails to all of you. May your next
vacation be your best.

John
Office of Missing The Jamaican Bartenders
The Zamgwar Institute

Old February 24th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Lunyma

Absolutely excellent review, John. I read all parts of it, and have to agree
with most of your observations... Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough,
and thanks for your honest thoughts and humor.

Old February 24th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Peri

John, all I can say is * I * can't wait for your next cruise!! (I had that much
fun reading your review of this one!) Thank you for taking the time to write.

~ Peri

Old February 24th, 2004, 11:41 PM
D Ball

Enjoyed every word! Thanks for the effort.

Diana Ball
Near Houston, TX
http://www.dianaball.net

RCI Mariner – E Carib – Holidays 03
RCI Serenade – Transatlantic – Maiden 08/04/03
Star Princess – Mex Riviera – Holidays 02
Dawn Princess – Alaska – July 02
NCL Star – Hawaii – June 02
RCI Rhapsody – W Carib – Holidays 01 (back-to-back)
RCI Explorer – E Carib – Holidays 00
NCL Sea – W Carib – Holidays 99

Old February 25th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Warren H. Davis

John
Office of the Most Terrific Review
The Zamgwar Institue wrote;
Hello Sea Dreamers wherever you are

John,

This was, by far IMHO, the very best report posted to RTC that I have ever
read. The second best was the last one you posted. You didn't just state
something was good or bad, you told us *why* and in context of your preferences
and experiences. It was informative and entertaining - a must read for anyone
considering a Voyager class ship.

Thank-you.

Warren
Office of only one tiny quibble: it's Club Internationale, not International
Cafe.
The "Club I" Institute

remove the drink to email Y
Old February 25th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Tom & Linda

Warren, I also remember a young guy about 3-4 years ago who went on one of
the Carnival Fantasy class ships who wrote one of the best reviews I ever
remember reading. He wrote his review in several parts as well.

Do you remember that review?

--Tom

Old February 25th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Steve Hayes

Thank You for the great review. I read it all and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Steve Hayes

(Zamgwar) wrote in message ...
Hello Sea Dreamers wherever you are,

snipped

Old February 25th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Linsifer

John,

I knew back when we were reading your enthusiastic "cruise prep" posts that we
would be treated to an absolutely thorough and equally as exuberant review
afterward.

You did not disappoint.

Thank you.

Lindsay
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Bob and Amy

Excellent review, John!
This is the way it should be done.

Old February 25th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Becca

John, I enjoyed reading each issue of your review, thanks for posting
it. Please let us know how your friends enjoy the Carnival Spirit.

Becca -----enjoys the Spirit class ships...

Mariner of the Seas 3/04
Norwegian Dawn http://www.cruisemaster.com/dawn.htm
Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm