Laptop to Canada -- issues at land border crossings

Old September 5th, 2014, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Gallagher

Default Laptop to Canada -- issues at land border crossings

I knuckled under and switched from a desktop to a laptop on February.
I'm going to drive to Ottawa in a few weeks, crossing the border at
the 1000 Islands. I'm thinking of taking my laptop with me. What are
the odds that they'll search it? What kind of things can get you in
trouble? Would I be better off leaving it home and just taking my
smart phone? Thanks.
Old September 7th, 2014, 02:28 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
terrable

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message
I knuckled under and switched from a desktop to a laptop on February.
I'm going to drive to Ottawa in a few weeks, crossing the border at
the 1000 Islands. I'm thinking of taking my laptop with me. What are
the odds that they'll search it? What kind of things can get you in
trouble? Would I be better off leaving it home and just taking my
smart phone? Thanks.

The fact that you use Usenet makes you a very suspicious person.

You know what Andrew Cuomo thinks of Usenet users.

Old September 8th, 2014, 02:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Gallagher

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 21:28:55 -0400, "terrable"
wrote:

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message
.. .
I knuckled under and switched from a desktop to a laptop on February.
I'm going to drive to Ottawa in a few weeks, crossing the border at
the 1000 Islands. I'm thinking of taking my laptop with me. What are
the odds that they'll search it? What kind of things can get you in
trouble? Would I be better off leaving it home and just taking my
smart phone? Thanks.

The fact that you use Usenet makes you a very suspicious person.

No, it shows that I am a creature of habit who started surfing the
'net 20 years ago, when ordinary people posted in usenet groups for
information. There was a time when there would be hundreds of travel
related threads here, I could post in this group and get a
constructive answer. Was I mistaken? Is there anyone out there who
can give me a straight answer?

I have a simple, striaghtforward question. Is it too much to ask for
a simple, straighforward answer?

You know what Andrew Cuomo thinks of Usenet users.

I had to look it up. Maybe that's a "good sign."