Pay for infant seat or not?

Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:47 AM
Binyamin Dissen

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:04:33 -0700 "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

:So says you and Binyamin. I say it's not -- I say a bus is a bus and an
:airplane is an airplane and there's huge difference: busses are for short
:trips, and you can't get off at the next stop if you don't like the ride.
:Airplanes are for long trips, and no one gets off until the pilot lands.

Perhaps the perspective from someone who was born with a silver spoon in his
mouth and thus never took Greyhound.

There are busses that go for long trips, and there are actually people (with
less expendable funds than you, obviously) that ride them for long trips.

And you do not get off the bus until the next stop, when the driver decides to
stop.

I am sure that there are people that look down on you for flying commercial,
just like you look down on people who take a bus or choose to carry a lap baby
to save money.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM
Simon Elliott

On 22/09/2004, PTRAVEL wrote:
Then they shouldn't engage in discretionary travel.

Who gets to define what's discretionary and what isn't?

--
Simon Elliott http://www.ctsn.co.uk

Old September 22nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Banty

In article , Binyamin Dissen says...

wrote:

:So says you and Binyamin. I say it's not -- I say a bus is a bus and an
:airplane is an airplane and there's huge difference: busses are for short
:trips, and you can't get off at the next stop if you don't like the ride.
:Airplanes are for long trips, and no one gets off until the pilot lands.

Perhaps the perspective from someone who was born with a silver spoon in his
mouth and thus never took Greyhound.

There are busses that go for long trips, and there are actually people (with
less expendable funds than you, obviously) that ride them for long trips.

And you do not get off the bus until the next stop, when the driver decides to
stop.

I am sure that there are people that look down on you for flying commercial,
just like you look down on people who take a bus or choose to carry a lap baby
to save money.

Right.

And whence came this idea that One Has A Right To Avoid Anything One Does Like,
and that therefore a situation with any such exposure is an 'imposition'?
Therefore hearing babies for Paul Tauger, or seeing men holding hands for
certain other people, etc. etc., is OK on a cross-town bus, but not where one
cannot leave at whim and will?

Banty

Old September 22nd, 2004, 01:50 PM
PTRAVEL

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:14:22 -0700 "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

:"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
. ..
: On 21 Sep 2004 07:36:14 -0700 (PTRAVEL) wrote:

: :
despite
: :the fact that _everyone_ was in agreement that taking a toddler as a
: :lapchild on a transoceanic was a particularly poor idea, you still
are
: :willing to risk it to save a couple of dollars.

: Perhaps merely a "couple of dollars" to someone with a bit of money.

: You might be surprised to know that there ARE people that live on
budgets,
: and
: to them $300 is not merely a "couple of dollars".

:Then they shouldn't engage in discretionary travel.

Do you feel that they should be able to eat steak or expensive ice cream?

Not if it means bringing a screaming infant into a fine restaurant to do it.

Why do you feel that you get to decide on what they can spend their money?

I don't care on what they spend their money. I only care when they are rude
and selfish by subjecting a planeload of people to a squawling, screaming
infant because they don't want to buy it a seat.

: Do you really
believe
:someone who says, "The only way I can take my family on an international
:holiday is if I save $300 on the fare (and subject everyone around me to
:noisy, squirming nuisance)?

To repeat:

You might be surprised to know that there ARE people that live on budgets,
and
that to them $300 is not merely a "couple of dollars".