Passing through Columbus Ohio

Old May 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Passing through Columbus Ohio

I'm going to have a day in Columbus en route to a smaller Ohio
destination in August. As always for me, I am looking for a nice (not
necessarily cheap) non-chain hotel and a few ideas on what one really
must see in the area. My perusal of TripAdvisor.com on Columbus hotels
turned up pretty well nothing except national and international chains
as well as very basic no frill motels. Any ideas on and any thoughts on
"must-sees" in the Buckeye capital?

Old May 14th, 2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Probably wander around a neighborhood. Either German Village across the
interstate from downtown or the area from downtown to the university
called Short North. The later has a reasonable market area.

Old May 14th, 2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Skookum" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going to have a day in Columbus en route to a smaller Ohio
destination in August. As always for me, I am looking for a nice (not
necessarily cheap) non-chain hotel and a few ideas on what one really
must see in the area. My perusal of TripAdvisor.com on Columbus hotels
turned up pretty well nothing except national and international chains
as well as very basic no frill motels. Any ideas on and any thoughts on
"must-sees" in the Buckeye capital?

No suggestions on hotels but here's a site that will list current exhibits
and other events and places you might enjoy. I personally would head for
the bike/hike trails but not everyone shares my interestsg

http://www.discoverohio.com/visitors...?City=COLUMBUS

Old May 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article . com,
Skookum wrote:
Any ideas on and any thoughts on "must-sees" in the Buckeye capital?

I visited Columbus for a convention a couple of years ago, and spent my
free evening wandering around German Village. I saw part of a free
open-air performance of a Shakespeare play in Schiller Park, ate dinner at
a German restaurant which is apparently the major culinary destination
there (can't remember the name, blast it!), and browsed through a
bookstore in an old house, laid out in a maze of small rooms and
passageways. Nothing earthshaking, but very pleasant.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Jon Bell wrote:
I visited Columbus for a convention a couple of years ago, and spent my
free evening wandering around German Village. I saw part of a free
open-air performance of a Shakespeare play in Schiller Park, ate dinner at
a German restaurant which is apparently the major culinary destination
there (can't remember the name, blast it!), and browsed through a
bookstore in an old house, laid out in a maze of small rooms and
passageways. Nothing earthshaking, but very pleasant.

Possibly Schmidt's http://www.schmidthaus.com/menu.htm

Although there are a bunch of others.
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Skookum" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going to have a day in Columbus en route to a smaller Ohio
destination in August. As always for me, I am looking for a nice (not
necessarily cheap) non-chain hotel and a few ideas on what one really
must see in the area. My perusal of TripAdvisor.com on Columbus hotels
turned up pretty well nothing except national and international chains
as well as very basic no frill motels. Any ideas on and any thoughts on
"must-sees" in the Buckeye capital?

The central business district basically closes up by 7PM. The
best place to stay is German Village in one of the Bed and Breakfast places.

I havent stayed there myself but the German Village Guesthouse is
highly recommended

http://www.lanierbb.com/inns/bb2717.html

Failing that the Best Western Clarmont Inn is on the edge
of German village. There are several excellent restaurants
and bars in the German Village some of which brew their own
ale. If you like more exotic food then there are some decent
asian outlets in the short north.

As for attractions the Ohio Historical centre is worth a trip, it includes
a reproduction 19th century Ohio town, there's also the science and
Industry centre(COSI) and also a nice zoo.

Keith

Old May 15th, 2006, 02:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"must-sees" in the Buckeye capital?

Columbus has got a nice art museum, a science museum called COSI that's
excellent (but many think it's overpriced), a very good zoo (about a 15
minute drive from downtown); the Ohio Historical Center, the Short
North area has art galleries, and the German Village area has nice
older homes, some good restaurants, and brick streets.

I can't recommend specific hotels, but the German Village area would be
a good place to look as it's close to the downtown and has a lot of
charm.

DiscoverOhio.com is a good source of tourist info.

Jim

Old May 15th, 2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

in August

By the way, the Ohio State Fair is in early August. I've never been a
big fan of fairs, but some folks enjoy them, and it's one of the
largest in the country. Be aware that it'll affect traffic a few miles
north of the downtown, especially around the Ohio Historical Center
which is near the fairgrounds.

Jim

Old May 20th, 2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

I would suggest checking out Max & Erma's restaurant. There are several in
and around the Columbus area. If you are from another area of Ohio or
surrounding states you may have visited one before. However if you haven't,
they have great food. We have never had a bad meal at one. Try their garbage
burger, it may sound gross, but it is great if you love burgers. Their
tortilla soup is to die for (I could eat a gallon right now).

Jer,

ups.com...