HAL's Tipping Policy

Old June 16th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Default HAL's Tipping Policy

Ummm, Gmbeasle.. Perhaps you were taught wrong. ...I was always
taught you tip someone in the service industry who goes the extra mile
for you. ...Come to think of it. None of my help has ever been tipped
either. And not only is our campground "A" rated, but we all go the
extra mile too.
...And by the way... How do you know the man was only out there to
inflate the length of your boat? ...Is it not possible that he actually
saw the need to help your husband tie up his boat, and wanted to do a
good turn for his fellow man? ...Not everyone in the world is out to
rip you off, you know. ...Jon

Old June 16th, 2004, 03:41 PM

RTCReferee... I suppose your Grandmother turned down the tips, did she?
...Listen...The only thing worse than not tipping someone who goes the
extra mile for you, is to turn down the tip that is offered to you. It
is ok to refuse once, but if the "tipper" insists, you risk offending
(and embarrasing) him by refusing again. (...I think that's in the
Emily Post Bible). ...Jon

Old June 16th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Mason Barge

Default Tipping at Pinnacle Grill, was HAL Tipping Policy

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:17:10 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article , Mason Barge
wrote:

Waitress is not a patronizing term.

Someone posted, I think it was rtcreferee, that it has not been proper
to call female server a waitress for twenty years! Maybe that is a
California or San Francisco affectation? As far as patronizing,
"server" sounds more patronizing.

I don't think it's more or less patronizing than "waiter" or
"waitress". It's just a bland and unnecessary kowtowing to token
semanticism.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Old June 16th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Rosalie B.

wrote:

Ummm, Gmbeasle.. Perhaps you were taught wrong. ...I was always
taught you tip someone in the service industry who goes the extra mile
for you. ...Come to think of it. None of my help has ever been tipped
either. And not only is our campground "A" rated, but we all go the
extra mile too.
..And by the way... How do you know the man was only out there to
inflate the length of your boat? ...Is it not possible that he actually
saw the need to help your husband tie up his boat, and wanted to do a
good turn for his fellow man? ...Not everyone in the world is out to
rip you off, you know. ...Jon

We were in this marina for 3 months. The reason that I think that is
that he did that with other boats too - a lot of times. Sometimes
people just fumed, and sometimes they actually measured their boats
and told him what the actual length was, but it did no good - he
didn't change the number of feet in the computer no matter how well
you could document that he'd overestimated.

He had policies that were patently unfair which were not advertised so
that when you came (for instance) in the middle of the month to stay
for two months, he would prorate the part of the first month on the
monthly rate because otherwise you'd get suspicious and leave. And
then you had to pay in advance for the last month, but if you were
leaving in the middle of the month (like you came in the middle of the
first month) then he prorated that month on the weekly and daily rate.
That meant that you got no refund because the weekly and daily rate
was so much higher than the monthly rate that you'd end up owing him
money.

grandma Rosalie
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/
Old June 17th, 2004, 04:20 AM

Hello Grandma Rosalie. ....Perhaps the guy was a crook; however, I have
found, at least in my line of business, the public will go out of its
way to work around your rules -- especially if there's an extra money
charge involved. ...For example... We have a rule where anyone under 4,
stays for free. ...Now, you wouldn't believe how many 5 foot tall
three olds I've caught registered into my campground over the years.
Most rules are arrived at from past experiences. Perhaps this man had
many a bad experience. ...Probably one too many 20 foot boats over the
years that when measured, were closer to 30. ...Jon

Old June 17th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Rosalie B.

wrote:

Hello Grandma Rosalie. ....Perhaps the guy was a crook; however, I have
found, at least in my line of business, the public will go out of its
way to work around your rules -- especially if there's an extra money
charge involved. ...For example... We have a rule where anyone under 4,
stays for free. ...Now, you wouldn't believe how many 5 foot tall
three olds I've caught registered into my campground over the years.
Most rules are arrived at from past experiences. Perhaps this man had
many a bad experience. ...Probably one too many 20 foot boats over the
years that when measured, were closer to 30. ...Jon

I realize that there are sleezeballs out there. But usually the boat
people, especially the sailboat people, while they are often on a very
tight budget will be very honest.

In addition to the inflation of the boat length (and it is $18/ft on
the monthly rate), he also had metered water and electric. Nothing
wrong with metered electric for long term people .... except that he
is taking electricity from a co-op and then if you don't use a certain
minimum, he charges a flat rate. Of course he didn't tell us that
until we got the first bill. And up here anyway, it is illegal to
charge more for co-op electricity than it cost you if it is metered.
By which I mean - if you charge a flat daily or weekly rate for
electricity that's OK. But you can't have metered electricity and get
it for 10 cents a kwh and charge 12 cents a kwh for it because you are
not supposed to be reselling the co-op electricity for a profit.

Plus - the metered water was an electronic meter and you couldn't tell
how much you used, and he charged us for 1100 gallons one month. We
do not hook up to the water, but use the water out of our own tanks,
we take showers in the marina showers, and use the marina toilets
instead of the ones on the boat. We have 400 gallons in our tanks,
and we refilled the tanks once during that period and they weren't
empty. The following month he didn't say how much we used, just said
it was under the minimum.

The other thing he did which I found out about fortunately before I
incurred any charge was that if you had more than 2 pumpouts a month,
it was $20 for each extra one. Whereas if you were anchored in the
harbor, a pumpout was $5.00.