The Crescent City is Dying and No One Gives a Damn!

Old February 24th, 2007, 01:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ed[_8_]

Default The Crescent City is Dying and No One Gives a Damn!

I just returned last week on the Grandeur of the Seas leaving from New
Orleans, LA. I spent two days in the Crescent City pre cruise to see how
New Orleans has fared in the year and a half since Katrina.

I do not want to repeat verbatim what George Leppla has written about the
city and his experiences while visiting there. Sure, downtown, Riverwalk
and the French Quarter looks great, but that is where it ends. There were
Mardi Grais parades while we were there, but where were the people?

The destruction that I witnessed in the Ninth Ward, Lakeshore and in Saint
Bernard Parish was worse than I imagined it would be. Why is there no
help? Why is FEMA trailers sitting in fields empty? Where is all the money
that was raised for disaster relief go?

The Crescent City is Dying and dying quickly. The city's wake has begun. I
can only compare area's North of I-10 as a scene from the Chernobyl
disaster. Homes ripped off their foundations with piles and piles of
trashed materials roadside. Gaping holes on rooftops where people were
rescued by national guardsman. I saw a few instances where "Help Me" was
still spray painted on rooftops. I even saw an "X "spray painted by
national guardsman with the number 3 spray painted at the six o'clock
position, meaning three bodies were found within.

Why is there no help for this city? The Crescent City is dying and no one
gives a damn!

Eddie from Long Island

Old February 24th, 2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Newby

"Ed" wrote in message

[...]

If you give a damn, go help.

I have an acquaintance who went to N.O. on assignment from a major relief
organization. Volunteers were picking up trash in the streets and
neighborhoods while the locals just sat around and bitched.

Old February 24th, 2007, 03:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank F. Matthews

Eddie wrote

[...]

Well, Eddie the city decided to retain the same idiot as mayor who
managed to have all the school busses left to float. As long as the ex
residents keep electing incompetents there isn't much to be done.

It was a nice place and may recover long after I'm gone.

Old February 24th, 2007, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RevDon

Pariotourism in New Orleans

As you make your vacation plans for this year, please consider coming
to New Orleans. Many of the local businesses, restaurants and hotels
are up and running, but due to a generally negative national media
image, many are struggling to stay open. You can help reverse this
catastrophic trend by coming to New Orleans. Now.

It has never been easier to get a table at one of our famous world-
class restaurants, or find a great deal on a room at one of our
historic hotels or B&B's. Come explore the storied plantations, take a
swamp tour and hear some of the greatest music on he planet. New
Orleans is also proud to be the port of embarkation for three cruise
ship lines. The Norwegian Sun, Carnival Fantasy and Royal Caribbean
Grandeur of the Seas are home ported here, with the Princess line
right behind them, and what better city could you begin and end a
cruise from? Add a few days on either end of your trip to take in the
history and culture of one of the world's most romantic cities.

A great place to start planning your trip is the New Orleans
Convention and Visitors Bureau (http://www.neworleanscvb.com/
index.cfm). Request a Visitor's Guide, plan your itinerary, or even
register to win a ride on a Mardi Gras float! Be sure to check out the
events calendar to coincide your trip with one of our famous
festivals. And if you have a big heart and a lot of ambition, check
out the Voluntourism page.

I'll be frank; many of us are fighting for our lives a second time.
First we were inundated by the ineptitude of The Army Corps of
Engineers, and many of us feel we were abandoned by our government.
You're all we've got left. We need you, the people, to come to our
rescue. In order to rescue us, you'll be required to eat, drink,
dance, sing and generally pass a good time. You'll be asked to endure
the hospitality and friendliness of a city famous for both. It will be
expected of you, after sacrificing your hard earned dollars, to
continue your patriotic duty by becoming ambassadors and preaching the
Gospel of New Orleans to your fellow citizens. The Crescent City has
risen! But you are its savior.

We look forward to seeing you. Don't be afraid to ask for directions,
how to pronounce Tchoupitoulas, or which stage to go to at Jazz Fest.
We'll be more than happy to oblige, and we'll thank you for coming,
friend.

Rev. Donald C. Bohn
www.RomanceinNewOrleans.com

Old February 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
grossbea

First Lesson:

Don't build your home in a flood plain..

Eddie wrote

Old February 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Diana

Second Lesson:

The Levee's will not hold in a major storm...

Old February 24th, 2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kuskokwim

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:18:19 -0500, Ed wrote:

Why is there no help for this city? The Crescent City is dying and no one
gives a damn!

This video explains a lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi73GfqLjbQ
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

For your information, we will be in NOLA for part of Jazzfest and we are
bringing a small group with us. Looking forward to a fantastic experience.

In addition we are thinking seriously about promoting a tour to the 2007 "Voice
of the Wetlands" festival over in Houma next October.

Lastly, depending on what the Cruise Lines do we have a good prospect of a large
family reunion cruise of of NOLA for mid 2008 sometime. My pitch is that is an
ideal combination of travel distance and activities fior this scattered family
with few similar interests.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article .com, RevDon
says...

Old February 24th, 2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_2_]

Cal, I wonder if the taxis will now take people with an electric scooter
to the airport, now that tourism is down. To me, it's a sore point that
really formed an attitude about NOLA well before the storm. On two
separate cruises out of NOLA, my wife was denied a ride to the airport
by numerous taxi drivers because they wanted to pack 7 people into their
minivan, rather than 6 plus a small electric scooter. On our last and
final cruise out of NOLA, we were passed up by at least a dozen cabs
before we "tricked" one into stopping by hiding the scooter until after
he stopped and began tossing our luggage into the van.

The driver then refused to load us, telling me that he'd take us only if
we "paid" for the scooter as another passenger. He even began removing
our luggage. Before he could drive away and get others, several
strangers who overheard the exchange literally blocked the cab with
their luggage until he agreed to "just" take the 6 of us and the
scooter. Trust me, the bas*ard never got a tip and strong letters
followed to both the convention bureau and cab regulatory agency.
Nobody bothered to even reply. Now that they want business, perhaps
they'll work on the image their taxi system gives tourists who have a
handicap.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Nonnymus wrote:

The driver then refused to load us, telling me that he'd take us only if
we "paid" for the scooter as another passenger. He even began removing
our luggage. Before he could drive away and get others, several
strangers who overheard the exchange literally blocked the cab with
their luggage until he agreed to "just" take the 6 of us and the
scooter. Trust me, the bas*ard never got a tip and strong letters
followed to both the convention bureau and cab regulatory agency.
Nobody bothered to even reply. Now that they want business, perhaps
they'll work on the image their taxi system gives tourists who have a
handicap.

Nonny

I'd have immediately gone looking for a good American with
Disabilities Act lawyer to take on the driver, cab company and city
regulatory authority. Might still if I have the letters.