Rollercoaster prices on ORbitz

Old September 1st, 2004, 06:07 AM
AMANDA LITWAK

Default Rollercoaster prices on ORbitz

I wrote a while back to get advice on a trip from ONT to SAT. In trying
to follow up on one suggestion, I went to Orbitz to price the trip again. I
decided that I didn't like the current price. Over the next few weeks, I
saw the price climb. Then it fell briefly but I was locked in indecision.
Then it climbed again. Then it fell again. I started to make a
reservation, but had to interrupt it. An hour later, I tried to continue
but Orbitz said my session expired and the price now was much higher. I'm
waiting to see if it will come down again for Nov 19-22. Is that realistic?
Thanks.

Ken

Old September 1st, 2004, 07:55 AM
Miguel Cruz

AMANDA LITWAK wrote:
I wrote a while back to get advice on a trip from ONT to SAT. In trying
to follow up on one suggestion, I went to Orbitz to price the trip again.
I decided that I didn't like the current price. Over the next few weeks,
I saw the price climb. Then it fell briefly but I was locked in
indecision. Then it climbed again. Then it fell again. I started to make
a reservation, but had to interrupt it. An hour later, I tried to
continue but Orbitz said my session expired and the price now was much
higher. I'm waiting to see if it will come down again for Nov 19-22. Is
that realistic?

I should think so - that's very far into the future. Unless it's a peak
travel day (is that when Thanksgiving falls this year) then it's usually
cheapest around 3 weeks out, sometimes hitting the trough again as the price
flaps around just a few days prior (but for that you have to be vigilant).

miguel
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:30 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Miguel wrote: you have to be vigilant...

I booked some October travel nearly a full year in advance recently.
That's because I had an "airline miles" credit card that would let me book a
flight worth up to $600 (whether the flight booked independently would
actually cost $180 or $600 it didn't matter--the credit was good for one
round-trip flight costing UP to $600). So I booked a flight using the
credit card "miles"--one that technically cost $550. After a while, the
same flights were listed at $430, so I called the airline directly and got a
credit voucher for the difference, which I have since used toward another
flight. Then this summer the cost went down to $330, so I got a second
voucher for the new difference. It has since gone down to $319. (Over
this period the price for these flights has yo-yoed back UP too.) Fares
change--you have to be vigilant!