5 Airlines... no fees for carry-on bags

Old April 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Default 5 Airlines... no fees for carry-on bags

[Default] Thus spake "Double Down Now!" :

On Apr 18, 6:54*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:

* The part that was most interesting was the threat that the
Congresscritters gave to the airlines. You enact the overhead charge and
we'll tax it.

Strangely, I find myself siding with the airlines on this one as long
as they disclose the carry-on charge and the passenger is given the
option of NOT bringin' a carryon and in return getting a lower base
fare.

Spirit has specifically stated that the carryon fee allows them to
have a lower fare.

IOW: we'll sell you the car cheap, But then you'll need to buy the
tires, seats and steering wheel from us. Engine? Oh yeah, that too.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th.
Taxes are due on April 15th.
Coincidence? I think not.
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake George Leppla :

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63H2GJ20100418

American, Jet Blue, United, US Airways and Delta are saying that they
will not start charging passengers for carry-on luggage.

I'm guessing the others won't be far behind... and Spirit Air will
re-think their policy.

Yup. This is the same as the "fare increase" game. Who'll blink?
Looks like it'll be Spirit. Mostly because they've got something
brown in their eyes. And some mud, too.

Old April 25th, 2010, 09:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
RayC[_2_]

Dillon Pyron wrote:

Spirit has specifically stated that the carryon fee allows them to
have a lower fare.

IOW: we'll sell you the car cheap, But then you'll need to buy the
tires, seats and steering wheel from us. Engine? Oh yeah, that too.

That seems to be how people that don't know how to sell their positive
points seem to be moving. One of the compressor brands I sell doesn't
even bother to tell the customer that there is no cord or even an off/on
switch. Of course, when the customer gets stung by this "economizing",
they get mad at whoever sold them the product be it me for compressors
or the TA for tickets.
--

Ray
=======================
Old April 25th, 2010, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
skipfromla

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 01:15:32 -0500, Dillon Pyron
wrote:

[Default] Thus spake "Double Down Now!" :

On Apr 18, 6:54*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:

* The part that was most interesting was the threat that the
Congresscritters gave to the airlines. You enact the overhead charge and
we'll tax it.

Strangely, I find myself siding with the airlines on this one as long
as they disclose the carry-on charge and the passenger is given the
option of NOT bringin' a carryon and in return getting a lower base
fare.

Spirit has specifically stated that the carryon fee allows them to
have a lower fare.

IOW: we'll sell you the car cheap, But then you'll need to buy the
tires, seats and steering wheel from us. Engine? Oh yeah, that too.

I'm going to N/W Indiana, about 60 miles east of Chicago sometime
within the next couple of months and have come up with a sure fire way
of not paying to check or carry on bags. I'm driving.

I've had enough of the airline fees, surly employees, security delays,
etc. I'll be driving and will be averaging 52 mpg on the highway, as
I did driving to ABQ last year. Total cost for fuel will be less than
any flight and I'll be using my Marriott rewards points for no cost
Marriott hotels there and back.

Skip
Old April 25th, 2010, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
Bert Hyman

In Dillon Pyron
wrote:

Spirit has specifically stated that the carryon fee allows them to
have a lower fare.

IOW: we'll sell you the car cheap, But then you'll need to buy the
tires, seats and steering wheel from us. Engine? Oh yeah, that too.

Assuming that the Spirit spokesman wasn't lying, the base fare was
reduced by the amount they're charging for the carryon. If you bring a
carryon, the net effect is that you're paying the same fare as before.

And, the charge is actually for a 2nd carryon; anything that will fit
under the seat in front of you is not charged.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On Apr 18, 6:54 pm, Kurt wrote:

The part that was most interesting was the threat that the
Congresscritters gave to the airlines. You enact the overhead charge and
we'll tax it.

Strangely, I find myself siding with the airlines on this one as long
as they disclose the carry-on charge and the passenger is given the
option of NOT bringin' a carryon and in return getting a lower base
fare.

Spirit has specifically stated that the carryon fee allows them to
have a lower fare.

IOW: we'll sell you the car cheap,

It's not so much about selling the car cheap... it's about advertising
the car on the internet at the lowest price, even if charge extra for
luggage or carry on.

--Tom
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake RayC :

Dillon Pyron wrote:

Spirit has specifically stated that the carryon fee allows them to
have a lower fare.

IOW: we'll sell you the car cheap, But then you'll need to buy the
tires, seats and steering wheel from us. Engine? Oh yeah, that too.

That seems to be how people that don't know how to sell their positive
points seem to be moving. One of the compressor brands I sell doesn't
even bother to tell the customer that there is no cord or even an off/on
switch. Of course, when the customer gets stung by this "economizing",
they get mad at whoever sold them the product be it me for compressors
or the TA for tickets.

If you thnk you hate Spirit, this should get you screaming

http://www.travelmole.com/stories/11...m_id=s~dY!vv_r

And reducing pitch, in the process.

Old May 6th, 2010, 06:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.vacation.las-vegas
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Skipfromla :

wrote:

[...]

There's an FBO in Austin that's been selling fracs lately. Current
one is 1/4 of a Beechjet 400A for $450K, which is not a bad price. But
they had a Mitsubishi with a 1/8 for $112K. About $800/hr. I didn't
check on the availability, but it's likely in the 150 hr/year for a
1/8.