The Airlines, Checked Baggage fees and ....

Old April 11th, 2010, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Default The Airlines, Checked Baggage fees and ....

Charles conferred with the ghost of Faye Wray and said On 4/11/2010
11:07 AM:
In , Surfer
wrote:

Goodluck on your flight on continental,we booked with them once and boy
did they ever jerk us around,kept changing flights,and even had us put
on an am trak for a lap of our trip,thanks to someone in carolina they
were good enough to book us on u s air for the last lap home.

Continental is one of the better airlines......course that might say
more about how bad the rest of them are.

I really shouldn't have to justify my news articles but here goes.

Yes my sister is a TA, yes I could have read the newspapers, and yes I
could have gone to my Continental One Pass website.
I'm not lazy just very busy. I care for my parents, mom is 92; dad is
94. I do all the cleaning and outside maintenance around the house.
Sometimes when mom isn't up to cooking I prepare lunch and dinner too.
am also busy learning how to become a licensed dog trainer, while
researching ways to sell my artwork on the net so I can get off Soc. Sec
Disability.

The main thing here is:

1) the amount of time & effort used to chide me for not using these
information resources you could have just told me.

2) Under Usnet /*news articles tradition, it's common courtesy to
include: the who, what, where in the originating *news article.

For those that *did* mention the who, what, where and why thank you.

* The proper Usenet term is news article and not post.

(see below)

http://webliminal.com/essentials/glossary.htm
Newsgroup: A collection of Usenet articles arranged by topic. Some are
specialized or technical groups (such as comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains
- topics related to Internet domain style names), some deal with
recreational activities (such as rec.outdoors.fishing.sal****er -
topics related to sal****er fishing), and one,
news.newusers.questions, is dedicated to questions from new Usenet users.

*
**
*

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Page http://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/

Old April 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LVTravel[_1_]

m...
wrote:

[...]

But the time it took you to write the first "article" and the follow-up
could have been used to type www.continental.com, click two times with a
mouse and the information would be there for you to read.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../checkbag.aspx

As you can see below, the web site when copied to an "article" to give you
the full information just doesn't copy well so that is readable and/or
comprehensible, especially the table denoting the actual charges.

"Checked Baggage Fees Continental Airlines will accept up to two pieces of
checked baggage with a maximum weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) and a maximum
outside dimension of 62 inches (157 cm) in exchange for the applicable
service fees set forth below. Outside dimension of a bag is equal to the
width + height + depth of the bag added together. The fees are discounted
for bags that are checked and pre-paid at continental.com. You may continue
to check your bags at the airport or curbside for a higher fee.

Certain customers are exempt from paying the fees and will be allowed to
check bags free of charge (bags must meet weight and size restrictions).
These customers include:

The following customers will not be charged service fees to check a first or
second bag:

OnePass Silver Elite members and Star Alliance Silver members*
OnePass Platinum and Gold Elite members and Star Alliance Gold members**
First Class, International Business, and Latin Business Class customers**
BusinessFirst customers**
Continental Airlines Chase primary cardmembers will have their first
checked-bag fees automatically waived
Continental Airlines Presidential Plus primary cardmembers will have their
first and second checked-bag fees automatically waived
Any customer traveling on full fare economy class (Y) tickets
Active U.S. military personnel+
U.S. military dependents traveling with U.S. military personnel on personal
travel++
U.S. military dependents traveling on official business (with documentation)
Customers traveling with OnePass Elite members or dependents traveling with
active U.S. military personnel are also exempt as long as they are traveling
in the same reservation. This exemption will not apply to group reservations
including 10 or more customers.

The following destinations will not be charged service fees to check a first
or second bag:

Transatlantic service between the United States and Israel and India
Transpacific service between the United States (excluding Hawaii) and Japan
and China
Brazil
The service fee will not apply to customers seated in First or
BusinessFirst, OnePass Elite members, Presidential Plus primary credit
cardmembers, customers traveling on full-fare economy (Y) class tickets,
active military personnel or any customer traveling to/from Brazil.

* May check two bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum 70 lbs
(32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height). For
tickets purchased on or after October 19, 2009 for travel commencing October
27, 2009, Gold and Platinum Onepass Elite members will be allowed to check 3
bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum of 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62
linear inches (157 cm) as measured above. Silver Onepass Elite members may
check 2 bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum of 50 lbs (23 kg)
and 62 linear inches (157) as measured above.

** May check three bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum 70 lbs
(32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height). For
tickets purchased on or after October 19, 2009 for travel commencing October
27, 2009, First class, International Business, and Latin Business Class
customers may check 2 bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum of
50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157cm ) as measured above. Ticket must
reflect confirmed seat for segment in which customer is checking in.

+ May check three military style duffel bags at no charge as long as each
bag is a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 115 linear inches (292 cm) (total length
+ width + height). May check three non-military style bags at no charge as
long as each bag is a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm)
(total length + width + height).

++ May check three bags at no charge as long as each bag is a maximum 70 lbs
(32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

If your baggage needs require you to check additional baggage, or baggage
that is over the listed size and weight, please review the Excess Baggage
policy.

Fees apply for certain economy fares between the destinations indicated
below based on dates of purchase and travel.

Travel To
United States, Canada, Puerto Rico,
U.S. Virgin Islands (Except Hawaii) Hawaii Mexico, Central America and
Caribbean South America (Except Brazil) Europe For flights within the
Asia-Pacific region (Except Japan) Cape Air flights between Guam, Saipan and
Rota Japan
Travel From Online Airport Online Airport Online Airport Online Airport
Online Airport Online Airport Online Airport Online Airport
United States, Canada, Puerto Rico,
U.S. Virgin Islands (Except Hawaii) 1st Bag $23* $25* $23* $25* 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
2nd Bag $32* $35* $32* $35* $27** $30 $27** $30 $45 $50 0 0 0 0 0 0
Hawaii 1st Bag $23* $25* 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2nd Bag $32* $35* 0 0 $27** $30 $27** $30 $45 $50 $27+ $30+ $27+ $30+ $27++
$30++
Mexico, Central America and Caribbean 1st Bag 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0
2nd Bag $27** $30 $27 $30 $27** $30 $27** $30 $45** $50 0 0 0 0 0 0
South America (Except Brazil) 1st Bag 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2nd Bag $27* $30 $27 $30 $27 $30 $27** $30 $45** $50 0 0 0 0 0 0
Europe 1st Bag 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2nd Bag $45 $50 $45 $50 $45** $50 $45** $50 $45 $50 0 0 0 0 0 0
For flights within the Asia-Pacific region (Except Japan) 1st Bag 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2nd Bag 0 0 $27+ $30+ $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $27+ $30+ $27+ $30+ $27++ $30++
Cape Air flights between Guam, Saipan and Rota 1st Bag 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
2nd Bag 0 0 $27+ $30+ $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $27+ $30+ $9+ $10+ $27++ $30++
Japan 1st Bag 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2nd Bag 0 0 $27+ $30+ $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $27+ $30+ $27+ $30+ $27++ $30++

* Customers who purchased tickets between July 21, 2009 and October 1, 2009,
for travel on or after Aug. 19, 2009 will be charged $15 for their first
checked bag and $25 for their second checked bag when prepaying at
continental.com. Customers who purchased tickets between October 2, 2009 and
January 8, 2010, will be charged $20 for their first checked bag ($18 if
prepaid at continental.com) and $30 for their second checked bag ($27 if
prepaid at continental.com). Customers who purchased tickets on or after
January 9, 2010, for travel on or after January 16, 2010 will be charged $25
for their first checked bag($23 if paid online), and $35 for their second
checked bag ($32 if paid online)

** Customers who purchased tickets prior to Oct. 2, 2009 will be charged $25
to check bags at continental.com or at the airport or curbside.

+ Fees apply to certain economy fares purchased on or after Nov. 1, 2009 for
travel on or after Dec. 8, 2009.

++Fees apply to certain economy fares purchased on or after Nov. 1, 2009 for
travel on or after April 1, 2010

To learn more, see our list of FAQs below."

Old April 11th, 2010, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:04:52 -0400, "LVTravel"
wrote:

But the time it took you to write the first "article" and the follow-up
could have been used to type www.continental.com, click two times with a
mouse and the information would be there for you to read.

Hi LVTravel,

Instead of asking his sister, the travel agent, who booked him or
checking Continental.com he was too busy applying for the Mother
Teresa Award on r.t.cruises. :+)
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

wrote:

But the time it took you to write the first "article" and the follow-up
could have been used to type www.continental.com, click two times with a
mouse and the information would be there for you to read.

Hi LVTravel,

Instead of asking his sister, the travel agent, who booked him or
checking Continental.com he was too busy applying for the Mother
Teresa Award on r.t.cruises. :+)
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/lighthousetravl
Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ray.goldenberg

Ok, Y'all...let's let up on the cutting remarks...Sure, we all have
computers and travel agents but let's not make it uncomfortable to people to
come to rtc for discussion and information ...I thought that was what this
newsgroup was about.

Peace!
--Jean

Old April 11th, 2010, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BikeRider50

wrote:

But the time it took you to write the first "article" and the follow-up
could have been used to type www.continental.com, click two times with a
mouse and the information would be there for you to read.

Hi LVTravel,

Instead of asking his sister, the travel agent, who booked him or
checking Continental.com he was too busy applying for the Mother
Teresa Award on r.t.cruises. :+)
--
Ray Goldenberg

For someone who is trying to present the travel industry in a positive
light, that was a pretty low remark. Totally unnecessary.
Sisker may be right about you.
What a putz.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
*muz*

: wrote:
:
: But the time it took you to write the first "article" and the follow-up
: could have been used to type www.continental.com, click two times with a
: mouse and the information would be there for you to read.
:
: Hi LVTravel,
:
: Instead of asking his sister, the travel agent, who booked him or
: checking Continental.com he was too busy applying for the Mother
: Teresa Award on r.t.cruises. :+)
: --
: Ray Goldenberg
You having a good chortle there, bud? A$$hole. Go back to drawing upon
"articles of interest" from WEB pages which are as easily available to all
of us as they are to you.

Old April 12th, 2010, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

Brian, we have always lived near a Continental hub, so fly them a lot
and can't really say a bad thing about them; in fact, I think
Continental has improved over the years and overall offers one of the
best domestic flight experiences. EWR is a hub, too, so there's a huge
Continental presence there--you shouldn't have any problems. Check the
EWR and Continental websites the day before for last-minute status
info and recommendation how early to arrive at the airport. (On
the Continental site, there are two places to check under the Travel
Information tab--the first listed Flight Status & Information and then
under Airport Information there is a section on Processing Times.)
Don't rely on Internet lore for that info--it can change by the minute
to respond to security issues, weather, etc. I am guessing EWR may be
a little slower right now, too, as it absorbs some traffic from folks
seeking to avoid JFK during its runway renovation.

Anyway, on baggage, in addition to the helpful link LVTravel provided
outlining permitted bag size and fees, let me just add that assuming
your sister e-ticketed you using your email address, you'll get an
email roughly 24 hours before flight time prompting you to go online
and check-in and print out a boarding pass. You'll also be prompted to
indicate the number of checked bags and pay online for them (a few
bucks cheaper than at the airport). If you're not packed/sure about
baggage at that point, no biggie, you can check bags at the curb or
inside using a self check-in & bag check kiosk. Last resort is
standing in line for a check-in agent. (If your e-ticket has your
sister's email address tied to it, she'll forward it to you, or if you
don't want to wait, you can go to the check-in page on Continental's
site and proceed with your name and ticket confirmation number.)

The taxi ride from FLL to the cruise terminal is about $15 plus tip
and takes less than 10 minutes.

Cheers,

Diana Ball
Austin, TX
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
*muz*

"Lee" wrote in message
: On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 01:41:02 -0400, "*muz*"
: wrote:
:
: You having a good chortle there, bud? A$$hole. Go back to drawing upon
: "articles of interest" from WEB pages which are as easily available to
all
: of us as they are to you.
:
: Posting with a fake name, and still not man enough to write "asshole"?
: Get over yourself, asshole.
:
: --
: - Lee

Lee, I'm an adult woman and I stand by the statement. I'm well acquainted
with Brian's past posts here on the newsgroup. If this is the first time
you recognized my posts, then, don't.

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

BikeRider50 conferred with the ghost of Faye Wray and said On 4/11/2010
6:55 PM:
wrote:

But the time it took you to write the first "article" and the
follow-up could have been used to type www.continental.com, click
two times with a mouse and the information would be there for you to
read.

Hi LVTravel,

Instead of asking his sister, the travel agent, who booked him or
checking Continental.com he was too busy applying for the Mother
Teresa Award on r.t.cruises. :+)
--
Ray Goldenberg

For someone who is trying to present the travel industry in a positive
light, that was a pretty low remark. Totally unnecessary.
Sisker may be right about you.
What a putz.

Just one more reason why I have Ray "killfiled".

--
________

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

D Ball conferred with the ghost of Faye Wray and said On 4/12/2010 2:44
PM:
[...]

Diana thank you very much for your response. Also Thanks Jean for your
comments. I am beginning to wonder what's gotten into some of you guys.
I mean give me a frelling break already!

--
________