4WD necessary for trip from Darwin to Perth in August?

Old July 30th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Anonymous

Default 4WD necessary for trip from Darwin to Perth in August?

We would like to do a 4-week-trip from Darwin to Perth starting mid of
August with a camping car; should we (2 persons) rent a 4WD or are we
fine with a "normal" one?
Are there "major sights" which are not accessible without 4WD? Any
advice on a suitable car hire?
Thanks, Daniela
--multiplaza.nl.nu--
Old July 30th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Freda

Deends on where and how you are going.
It is possible to stay on bitumen road all the way and use a 2WD standard
car, but if you want to get off the main roads and onto the bush tracks then
you will need a 4 WD
Freda
--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake

Old July 31st, 2004, 03:38 AM

..no-spam.invalid (Anonymous) wrote in message ...
We would like to do a 4-week-trip from Darwin to Perth starting mid of
August with a camping car; should we (2 persons) rent a 4WD or are we
fine with a "normal" one?
Are there "major sights" which are not accessible without 4WD? Any
advice on a suitable car hire?
Thanks, Daniela
--multiplaza.nl.nu--

About 20+ years ago while working for Qantas in DRW had a chat with a
couple from Texas who had just arrived from PER along the coast on a
motorcycle, Their comment was that they have never seen so much sweet
f**k all so evenly distributed. To answer your question you can do it
in a car for the majority of sights, but to get to someplace special
IMO like Gosse meteor site you would need a 4x4. We once traveled
DRW/ASP/Uluru/Giles weather station/PER in a Falcon Ute sith no
problems. But in the Wet it would have been a different story.
Cheers