Where to buy largest carry-on luggage for specific airline?

Old September 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
james[_2_]

Default Where to buy largest carry-on luggage for specific airline?

I'm traveling on an airline that permits carry-on size of 10 x 17 x 24
inches including wheels and handles.

Where can I buy luggages that are designed to maximize the amount of stuff
that can be carried on the plane and satisfy the size requirement? Perhaps
the wheels and handles can be folded flush into the luggage to reduce dead
space.

Old September 15th, 2009, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bob Myers

james wrote:
I'm traveling on an airline that permits carry-on size of 10 x 17 x 24
inches including wheels and handles.

Where can I buy luggages that are designed to maximize the amount of
stuff that can be carried on the plane and satisfy the size
requirement? Perhaps the wheels and handles can be folded flush into
the luggage to reduce dead space.

You sure you want to get a bag that you can only use on
that one airline? What happens when/if you have to
change airlines for any of a number of unforeseen circumstances?
(And nothing will annoy your fellow passengers more than your
trying to stuff an oversized bag where it really doesn't fit.)

The maximum "safe" size is generally about 45" total, in the form
of a 22" x 14" x 9" bag. Handles generally will fold flush, but
wheels - not so much. I don't think fold-in wheels would save
you anything, and would just complicate the design of the bag
(and remember that anything folding in IS taking away interior
space).

Having said all that, I've found these guys have a pretty good
online selection; I've bought two bags from them, and was
satisfied both times -

http://www.ebags.com

Bob M.

Old September 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

"james" wrote in message
I'm traveling on an airline that permits carry-on size of 10 x 17 x 24
inches including wheels and handles.

so in metric that 25 by 40 by 55.

This is a fairly standard size that you can buy in most shops.

Where can I buy luggages that are designed to maximize the amount of stuff
that can be carried on the plane and satisfy the size requirement? Perhaps
the wheels and handles can be folded flush into the luggage to reduce dead
space.

The handles fit flush, the wheels don't. You have to include the wheels in
your measuring. IME, the advertised sizes usually don't!

tim

Old September 16th, 2009, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Neville

"Bob Myers" wrote:

The maximum "safe" size is generally about 45" total, in the form
of a 22" x 14" x 9" bag. Handles generally will fold flush, but
wheels - not so much. I don't think fold-in wheels would save
you anything, and would just complicate the design of the bag
(and remember that anything folding in IS taking away interior
space).

And on aircraft with the newer overhead luggage racks you don't really need to
worry about it - if you load handle in and wheels on top/out. There's enough
curve in the door to accomodate the wheels.
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
"Bob Myers" wrote:

The maximum "safe" size is generally about 45" total, in the form
of a 22" x 14" x 9" bag. Handles generally will fold flush, but
wheels - not so much. I don't think fold-in wheels would save
you anything, and would just complicate the design of the bag
(and remember that anything folding in IS taking away interior
space).

And on aircraft with the newer overhead luggage racks you don't really
need to
worry about it - if you load handle in and wheels on top/out. There's
enough
curve in the door to accomodate the wheels.

If the airline check the size using one of those metal frame thingies the
bag including the wheels has to fit in.

tim

Old September 17th, 2009, 03:58 AM posted to rec.travel.air
jessica_smith_nyc

I think they may have a box that you can try to see if it fits in the
luggage stores.....

--
http://www.moviesitearchive.com

Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Johnn

I'm traveling on an airline that permits carry-on size of 10 x 17 x 24
inches including wheels and handles.

This is a fairly standard size that you can buy in most shops.

Where can I buy luggages that are designed to maximize the amount of stuff
that can be carried on the plane and satisfy the size requirement? Perhaps
the wheels and handles can be folded flush into the luggage to reduce dead
space.

The handles fit flush, the wheels don't. You have to include the wheels in
your measuring. IME, the advertised sizes usually don't!

Bring a screw driver and remove the wheels. Its worth it if you need the space. Should only take a couple of minutes.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

Johnn wrote:
I'm traveling on an airline that permits carry-on size of 10 x 17 x
24 inches including wheels and handles.

This is a fairly standard size that you can buy in most shops.

Where can I buy luggages that are designed to maximize the amount of
stuff that can be carried on the plane and satisfy the size
requirement? Perhaps the wheels and handles can be folded flush into
the luggage to reduce dead space.

The handles fit flush, the wheels don't. You have to include the
wheels in your measuring. IME, the advertised sizes usually don't!

Bring a screw driver and remove the wheels. Its worth it if you need
the space. Should only take a couple of minutes.

What do you do with the wheels?

Put them in the case?

Why not just buy luggage the right size?

It's easy, all you do is take a tape measure to the luggage shop...

As for 'where do you buy...' That's just plain stupidity.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

"Johnn" wrote in message
I'm traveling on an airline that permits carry-on size of 10 x 17 x 24
inches including wheels and handles.

This is a fairly standard size that you can buy in most shops.

Where can I buy luggages that are designed to maximize the amount of
stuff that can be carried on the plane and satisfy the size requirement?
Perhaps the wheels and handles can be folded flush into the luggage to
reduce dead space.

The handles fit flush, the wheels don't. You have to include the wheels
in your measuring. IME, the advertised sizes usually don't!

Bring a screw driver and remove the wheels. Its worth it if you need the
space. Should only take a couple of minutes.

The wheels on mine are riveted in

tim

Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

"William Black" wrote in message
Johnn wrote:
I'm traveling on an airline that permits carry-on size of 10 x 17 x 24
inches including wheels and handles.

This is a fairly standard size that you can buy in most shops.

Where can I buy luggages that are designed to maximize the amount of
stuff that can be carried on the plane and satisfy the size
requirement? Perhaps the wheels and handles can be folded flush into
the luggage to reduce dead space.

The handles fit flush, the wheels don't. You have to include the wheels
in your measuring. IME, the advertised sizes usually don't!

Bring a screw driver and remove the wheels. Its worth it if you need the
space. Should only take a couple of minutes.

What do you do with the wheels?

Put them in the case?

Why not just buy luggage the right size?

I don't think that anyone makes a bag which is the maximum allowed size,
without the wheels.

tim