Rome airport Q

Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

Default Rome airport Q

In article

ple.com,
poldy wrote:

I don't understand how people still use the Cambio and Thomas Cook
counters.

Sometimes you can get rid of coins at them when you're leaving a
non-Euro country(I keep Euro coins and bills for a later trip)

Last week at VIE, I looked around for a Bancomat and the only one I
spotted was right next to an exchange counter. I'd seen some Thomas
Cook ATMs before and assumed those dispense money after the commission,
just like their counters.

So I was wary about using this one and only took out 20 Euros, enough to
pay for a bus to Westbahnhof, from which I planned to take a train to
Salzburg.

I discovered what a hassle it was getting in and out of Vienna on
a trip when the places I was REALLY interested in were on opposite sides
of the city.

Turned out that the exchange rate from that ATM at VIE and later that
night in Salzburg were identical to the closing exchange rate published
for that date on x-rates.com.

8-)

Some airports do have only exchange counters within the baggage claim
area and you have to exit out to the main hall to find the ATMs.

That's why I was asking about the unfamiliar(to me) one in Rome.

CDG has a huge new shopping area in the brand new section of 2E, for
gates E20-E40 or so. There were no shops immediately outside the
security zone for this part of 2E.

But for all those shops and self-serve food places, I couldn't recall
seeing a single ATM.

No problem there for me, as I've sworn never to touch ground at CDG
again as long as I live.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Old February 4th, 2009, 07:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
erilar wrote:

I discovered what a hassle it was getting in and out of Vienna on
a trip when the places I was REALLY interested in were on opposite sides
of the city.

Hmm, there are a lot of things within the Ring road, which doesn't
encompass a big area.

What farflung places away from the center are worth seeing?

No problem there for me, as I've sworn never to touch ground at CDG
again as long as I live.

ORY then?
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 15:32:13 -0800, poldy wrote in post :
news :

Last week at VIE, I looked around for a Bancomat and the only one I
spotted was right next to an exchange counter. I'd seen some Thomas
Cook ATMs before and assumed those dispense money after the commission,
just like their counters.

If it has the blue and green "B" sign then they charge the same rates
(depending on your bank). I've never noticed an "own make" Bankomat here.
All the ones in petrol stations or supermarkets are part of the main
network.

--
Tim C.
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article

ple.com,
poldy wrote:

In article ,
erilar wrote:

I discovered what a hassle it was getting in and out of Vienna on
a trip when the places I was REALLY interested in were on opposite sides
of the city.

Hmm, there are a lot of things within the Ring road, which doesn't
encompass a big area.

I was traveling by train, as usual for me.

What farflung places away from the center are worth seeing?

I was coming from Melk and heading south to Graz.

No problem there for me, as I've sworn never to touch ground at CDG
again as long as I live.

ORY then?

NO French airport 8-( CDG is just the worst.

Old February 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:32:02 -0600, erilar wrote in post :
:

What farflung places away from the center are worth seeing?

I was coming from Melk and heading south to Graz.

You'd have to change railway terminals. The connection between West- and
Südbahnhof is a bit of a pain, but there's a direct tram connection that
takes about 15-20 minutes. You can use the U-Bahn but you have to change I
think.

--
Tim C.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"Tim C." wrote:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:32:02 -0600, erilar wrote in post :
:

What farflung places away from the center are worth seeing?

I was coming from Melk and heading south to Graz.

You'd have to change railway terminals. The connection between West- and
Südbahnhof is a bit of a pain, but there's a direct tram connection that
takes about 15-20 minutes. You can use the U-Bahn but you have to change I
think.

I know. I hadn't intended to stop in Vienna on that trip, but since it
was in my way, I stayed for a couple nights in a youth hostel that was
by far the worst one of my trip did a little sightseeing, then traveled
on to Graz and a really nice one.